How often do you go to the movie theatre?

Tools    

I couldn't find a thread for this, and I am curious to see the responses to this. Seeing that there are so many movie reviews from the same members, I assume that it is quite often. But I want to know how often?

To be honest, I haven't been to the theatres that often this year. I have probably been 5 times. Plus I have purchased a few movies on my DVR, so I have a lot of movie watching to do!

My answer would be about once a month on average.

I go to the theater around two times a month. I am an avid movie watcher, but I do most of my viewing at home. I save the movie theater for films like the new Star Trek that just beg to be seen on the big screen.

When I do go to the theater, I go to Golden Class. This is a theater here in Taichung that sits about 50 people. All of the seats are huge, comfy recliners. You can order a variety of food, like calamari and onion rings, and their are alcoholic drinks available, which are brought to you're table during the film. It is absolutely the best movie experience I have ever had.

I used to go about once a week, but with the ever increasing cost of admission and refreshments and the ever decreasing number of new movies I actually want to see, that number has dropped to about once every couple of months.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I love going and watching movies at the theatre, but I tend to reserve the big screen for big movies.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Hmm... I'll say once a week or once in two weels^^
Last time I went there witn ma friend: today^^ We've watched HANGOVER^^ xDDDD

Ma favorites: http://www/onemanga.com http://www.dvdcdgame.com

^^In love with myself... ^^

Back in my early teens, I worked at the local movie theater, taking tickets on weekends, selling concessions weekday nights, which put me in the theater about 6 days a week. Didn't necessarily see every film all the way through--usually at least the key scenes, however--but I heard them time after time after time. (For younger members not familar with those ancient times, the theater had only one screen and no doors to separate the theater from the lobby.) Sometimes after I got off work at 10 p.m., I'd go out to the drive-in, owned by the same man, and enter through the exit since the entrance was closed and locked by then. The drive-in was primarily the passion pit for teen couples, certainly a safe place to go parking, but again one seldom saw all or even much of the film. My movie-going tended to decline when I got a real job that paid a real salary and, even not of legal age, was big enough to hang out in bars with older, faster women who had their own houses. In the early 1960s when I was in the Army, movies at the base theater was a participatory experience where the mostly young male under-the-influence audience carried on a running commentary about the scenes on the screen. After the Army, poor-boying it through college on the GI bill generally kept me out of the theaters. Then I got married, graduated, had kids, which certainly cuts down on your chances to go to indoor movies and makes it easier to opt out for television. Over the ensuing years, the drive-ins died off, as did my favorite film stars. Of the new stars, I don't know the names of most and am not impressed with many. And too many movies now are highly derivative--or just lousy remakes--of movies or television series or even comic books I saw long, long ago. Besides, I now have on video or DVD all of the old films whose scenes I didn't see in my youth. Since most of the movies out of Hollywood now are aimed at boys of 15-25, there's not much of a movie market for my generation, so I doubt if I go in a movie theater even twice a year. Last time was when I took my grandkids to the 3-D Ice Age when it first came out. As for other films seen on the big screen--Mama Mia!, Ray, the film where Kevin Kline played Cole Porter (can't recall the title), saw Gettysburg on the big screen as well as the Lord of the Rings series--need a big screen for films like that. Saw half of the Harry Potter series in the theater and half on DVD. Big screen didn't help Saving Private Ryan or Gods and Generals. Saw The Notebook in the theater, but Hollywood futz that one up, too. Gladiator also was a bust, but I liked Cinderella Man. I'm sure I've seen other films at the movie theater in the last 5 years or so, but damned if I can remember what. Easier to wait for them to come out on DVD and watch them at home where I can stop, rewind, or turn on the "cutlines" when I can't hear or they can't talk.

I Am Registered And So Can You!
I never go to the movie theatre...at best a few times a year, at worst maybe once a year; sometimes I will even pass a year without seeing the inside of a movie theatre at all. Granted, there are films that SHOULD be appreciated in the theatre, but I like the comfort of my couch...and I am lazy...and cheap...and broke.

If I think the film will just be *that much better* in the theatre, I still won't spend the $10.75 for a ticket...maybe.

Too bad I don't have a 50 ft. screen in my house...or a 50 ft. house in which to put it.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
This is a serious question, with swine flu running rampant in so many countries do you think this will seriously affect the number of people who go to cinemas?

Maybe once every two years - if that.
The best movies being made do not play in theatres.

And the people in those places suck, anyway.

I do watch, on average, four movies a day and listen to another four. Not at a theatre.

The frequency of my visits to the movie theatre(s) can and often enough do vary, depending on the movies that're playing during that period of time. There are at least three good, independent movie theatres in my area that I like to frequent, two of which I hold annual memberships at: The Coolidge Corner Theatre, the Brattle Theatre, and the Somerville Theatre. I've seen some interesting newer films, but yet I almost never fail to go and see a favorite old classic when it's around. Recently, I've seen The Greening of Southie, Jaws, and Lawrence of Arabia. I'm considering attending the special 70th Anniversary 1-night screening of Wizard of Oz near me late next m onth, if I can get a ticket, and the new movie, Ponyo sometime this weekend or in the near future. Oh, and, I can't wait for the next screening of West Side Story to come around again.

All told, I go to the movie theatre anytime ranging from once or twice a week to once a month, especially to the two movie theatres where I hold memberships.