Favorite war movies

Tools    

I Am Registered And So Can You!
I wouldn't call it a war film, but I + repped anyway, just because it's such a great film.
I know it is not technically situated in a war, but I felt compelled to mention it. I'm not sure why.

You're right though, great film. Kurosawa was a brilliant director.

Employee of the Month
What is it with the fascination of Warmovies? I never really get it.

I remember one day, I watch two movies with a couple of gotchaboys and -girls. We get drunk and pretty stoned and the host choose "Black Hawk Down" and "The Wind Talkers". I was like, um, dizzy and after "Black H.D." I asked for a calm movie or a thriller or a comedy. Just not another movie with screamining and shooting guys, who die like flies. They told me, "Windtalkers" is much more like a drama. Drama, my ass! Screaming and shooting guys, who die like flies! Later I needed to watch boring documentaries on TV to calm down!

So do you enjoy "The Action" in plausible Warmovies as much as the one in regular Actioners?

Employee of the Month
Like what?

I try Flags of our Fathers (okay), Tigerland (boring), Black Hawk Down (okay), Windtalkers (boring) , some movie with Michael J. Fox (okay) and Saving Private Ryan (boring ). Maybe I just don`t get it. Starship Troopers was cool, but rather a social satire than a real War-Movie.

Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private Ryan
Jarhead
I don't know if it counts, but the first Predator movie?

Stay with the blanket!
"The Pianist" and "Enemy at the gates". I prefer war movies that are focused on one, two characters and their tragedies than general destruction with many unnamed victims.

(Oops, English isn't my first language. Mistakes may occur.)

I make you dizzy?

How about A Bug's Life?
Wasn't it Grasshoppers against the Ants?
I'm sorry...I'm just trying to get your attention.

Hi! I enjoy reading your posts and your contribution to the site has been a welcomed commodity!

I do love A Bug's Life! prols against the bosses!

The 2008 HBO mini series Generation Kill, follows a recon team during the invasion of Iraq.
One of the best takes on modern war I've seen recently.

Braveheart

This is simply the best movie ever made, containing all the elements a perfect movie should have. Amazing soundtrack and story. The extreme violence as well as the human compassion in this movie are overwhelming in its brilliancy.

I like band of brothers .

Making a difference
Enemy at the Gates
Pearl Harbour
Braveheart
Troy

A system of cells interlinked
Braveheart

This is simply the best movie ever made, containing all the elements a perfect movie should have. Amazing soundtrack and story. The extreme violence as well as the human compassion in this movie are overwhelming in its brilliancy.
Hogwash

Braveheart is a good film, but it is far from being the best film ever made. I can't sit here and agree that the manipulative and somewhat over-the-top direction in this film qualifies for "best ever".

Do you honestly think Braveheart is on a level with stuff like Casablanca, Chinatown, and Lawrence of Arabia?

It isn't...not even close.

Braveheart is a powerful film, and I agree with the political subtext quite a bit, but from a cinematic point of view, I can't even put it in ten best films ever made.

Braveheart

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think you should cut cruisejerry5-0 some slack before you run him off, although I'm not exactly sure why just yet.

Easy.

Duck Soup

I'm tempted to put down Casablanca and Apocalypse Now, but I'm not sure either of those are war movies; just dramas of one type or another in a war setting.

But face it, folks, you can't do much better than David Lean:

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Lawrence of Arabia

and I would be remiss if I did not mention another one of my favorites; no, it's not in my top 100, and I realize it will never take its place among the Best Movies Ever, but I do love this last one and find it immensely watchable...over and over and over:

Zulu

So Apocalypse Now isn't a war film, and The Godfather isn't a gangster film. Right...
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

This is a list of my unforgetable war movies. I'll keep this list as brief as possible knowing that some of you will have lots to add, hopefully something I haven't seen.

The Young Lions ( Brando )
Where Eagles Dare
When Trumpets Fade
We Were Soldiers
Vengeance One By One
A Very Long Engagement
U-571
Triumh Of The Spirit
Tigerland
Thin Red Line
The Tin Drum
The Siege Of Firebase Gloria