Captain Spaulding's Cinematic Gutter

→ in
Tools    

I've only seen the first one so far; not a great movie for me, due to my often-mentioned issue with its second half, but Hooper did direct the heck out of it, and I do like it more than Ebert did, at least.
@StuSmallz, someone has hijacked your account. The real Stu would never miss an opportunity to plug his review.

I've read your criticisms about TCM when you were discussing it recently in other threads, but needless to say I disagree, as I think the last 30 minutes are perhaps the most harrowing in all of cinema.

I think the last 30 minutes or so is perhaps the most harrowing in all of cinema.

It's got to be in contention, for sure.

The idea of wanting to tone down the incessant shriek of those last thirty minutes is similar to wanting 2001 to remove all the musical interludes and The Dawn of Man sequence. It is key to the films unique quality. Giving the audience a place to catch their breath would be antithetical to what Hooper is going for. It is all about sensory overstimulation. That is what frazzles the audiences nerves. That is what elevates it from just being a good and grungy horror film into a piece of high art.

It's got to be in contention, for sure.

The idea of wanting to tone down the incessant shriek of those last thirty minutes is similar to wanting 2001 to remove all the musical interludes and The Dawn of Man sequence.
But even the endless laser light show in the "Beyond The Infinite" sequence in that movie got tedious at a certain point, so...

But even the endless laser light show in the "Beyond The Infinite" sequence in that movie got tedious at a certain point, so...

People are free to not like what they don't like. And 2001 is a great movie that isn't necessarily for everyone, but I'll just take this moment to explicitly state what I will be generous to assume was implicit in that statement, "you found it to be tedious at a point."

It's the one scene that has maybe not aged as graciously as the rest of the film, and it's never been my favorite part of the movie, but in regards to it being 'endless' the duration of the scene is unavoidable. It is required by the entire structure of the film to be a long elongated scene.

And, whatever reservations I may have about some of the effects (and frankly it's a minor quibble) because I know what the whole scene is trying to articulate by moving the film more and more towards abstraction, I wouldn't change a second of it.

People are free to not like what they don't like. And 2001 is a great movie that isn't necessarily for everyone, but I'll just take this moment to explicitly state what I will be generous to assume was implicit in that statement, "you found it to be tedious at a point."
Of course that was implicit in my statement, I was expressing my personal opinion; I don't need to say something like "in my opinion..." everytime I express one for that to be obvious. Also, I was only criticizing that one scene alone, since 2001 is one of my favorite movies of all time: https://www.movieforums.com/communit...32#post2299632

"I really like this over the shoulder shot but can we bring the camera down just a little lower....a little lower...a little lower... THERE! Hold that aaaaaand, Action!"

Nice write ups. I may have to start watching a few of these. The TCM franchise is like the Halloween franchise. After the first two or three I kind of gave up on them. Checking imdb I did watch the one with Jessica Biel but don't remember anything about it.

The first one is so good, it's arguably the most unsettling horror film ever. Watching it is exhausting. It's on my short list of movies I watch at least once year. The second has some great characters, ups the gore a little and is pretty funny. If I'm gonna knock it at all it's that Stretch gets a little too shrieky but I still liked Caroline Williams as Stretch. Really liked Bill Moseley as Chop Top. I haven't seen much of the franchise but it's hard to see a better performance in any of the films than what he gives here. He's creepy, he's gross and he's damn funny.

I did just watch the newest one pretty much because of your review and Rockatansky's comment about steady gore. For a second or most of the film actually, I thought they cg'd a young Dianne Franklin into the movie. The movie was okay. Had some nice gore, wasn't boring, there was quite a bit of stupid going on but that's par for the course. The first kill was the best. Towards the beginning they did a wide shot of all the people arriving and kind of hanging out in the street and I kind of jokingly said "Hehe, look at that....there's gonna be a lot of people dying in this one." Ooh, that's a Bingo!

Victim of The Night

#9) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)

#8) Leatherface (2017)

#7) Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)

#6) Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990)

#5) Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1995)

#4) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)

#3) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

#2) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)

#1) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

I have fact-checked this and it is correct.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I was not a fan of the Netflix Chainsaw, with the exception of the kills.

Suspect's Reviews

Victim of The Night
Wish I was into horror. But love reading the threads!
Hmmm... this makes me want to help you.

Hmmm... this makes me want to help you.
Give it up Wooley, we're... too far gone, I'm afraid.

Victim of The Night
I'm just saying, if anyone ever asks me to help them learn to enjoy Horror... I'm always around.