T2: Judgement Day DVD

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I recently rented T2 on DVD, and all I have to say is WOAH! On video that movie is unbelievable cool, and on DVD its even better. It has so many features on it. You can watch all the trailers for it, inculding ones in different movies. You can read the script. Look at story boards. Watch the making of it, the cut scenes from the theathrical release, and the making of the 3D ride. You can then flip the DVD over and watch either the theathrical release or the Special Edition which contains about half an hour of unseen footage. Anyone who has a DVD player should go rent this or buy it. The interface it uses is so unbelievably cool. And T2 is one of, if not the best action movies ever made. You go watch any scene with T1000 in it and watch his CG shape shifting, and keep in mind this movie was made in 1991. It was so advanced for its time. And well Arnold is such a badass looking guy. Check it out, its my favorite movie of all time, and the DVD is so good.

We'll I don't want to spoil it for anyone, I'm not really ruining anything. There's a scene when the guy from the original movie, Reese, returns in a dream of Sarah's. There's a scene when Sarah first arives to the metal hospital and the orderlies beat her, spawning her revenge in the end. Another scene is when they remove the chip for Arnolds head and fiddle with it, and Sarah tries to detsroy it but John stops her. Also, theres a funny scene when Arnold tries to learn to smile, he looks hilarious. What else? Theres a scene when the T1000 robot is in Johns room searching for clues, and a scene where he touches a multicolored banister and changes colors then quickly flicks back. All very cool. The movie itself is about 3 hours long. Whats with James Cameron and making long movies?

Oh and the script thing is really kinda neat. You can either read the script, or watch the movie with the script rolling on along the bottom of the screen, kinda like closed captions but alot more detailed. Plus there are tons of interviews with the director, and cast and crew.

I found that the extra scenes were much more expository and gave the movie a more wholistic feeling. It's a shame that general theater audiences do not have the patience for longer films. I personally find great enjoyment in expository storytelling in DVD film versions, but at the same time I find I must respect the film-makers for their tact and decisiveness in the editing room. It's hard to cut your most favorite scenes from your own movie, and over 90 percent of directors have had to do this, all the way up to Cameron, Spielburg and the great George Lucas himself.

I am proud to own DVD, and this one in particular has something none of you (I believe) have mentioned as of yet. At the DEEPEST level of the special material there is an actual chronological FILM SCHOOL of EVERY step they took in making this film from CONCEPT to POST PRODUCTION and ADVERTISING, and everything in-between.

It's really a cool thing, this DVD.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
T2 was just one of the greatest films ever, I totally agree. It's like in my top five. no, my top three!

my general rule of thumb for movies that are truly my favorites, or that I really like, is - will I watch it again? Most movies provide nothing new or satisfying on a second viewing. THIS one does. Sheer heaven. I get into it every time, and keep in mind I first saw this movie when I was like, 12, so it's been what, 8 years.

also - we do have the patience for long movies, yet, in a movie theater you can't pause, rewind, or turn the volume up. You get peeved when you miss something and you were willing to spend the time, and it gets uncomfortable when you have to go to the bathroom after an hour or two and you have to crawl over people in the dark two ways and also miss parts. it's just not practical in a theater, that's all.

Sweet, i can't wait till i get a ps2 in jan-mar. of 2001 (i feel like an idiot, i waited way too long to go to toys r us and pre-order a ps2! now i'll have to wait forever) so that i can play dvd's! i recently recieved "next friday" and "Enter the dragons" (old movie, special edition kung foo movie) which i won in a sweepstakes. (along with a buncha other stuff! (Uncle Elroy from the movie Next Fridays silk jaguar pattern bathrobe that was actually worn in the movie, a NF poster, NF soundtrack, NF deck of cards, a checkout.com t-shirt, those two above listed dvd's, NF beanie, ) heck, that was all from one contest!

Hey Chris, i'll sell u the silk bathrobe from the movie for 300 bucks to give away on this web site (hehheee, wouldn't that be cool if i won it back!)

I have had to play dvd's on my PC, which isn't that clear even though i have 256ram, 32mb graphics card, 19 in. screen. Getting a real dvd player to go with ma bose speakers will be sweet!
okay, most of this post has nothing to do with T2: but what the heck, i felt like rambling.

I'm done,
bye

hahhaaa

I watched T2 on my computer, and i have 128 ram, 800mhz, 32mb vid, and the quality was as good as on my friends tv dvd player, if not better.

$300 eh? I'll think about it :P

I'm definetly gonna get a DVD player at some point - they're too cool to resist. The lower-end ones are still pretty good, and some are all the way down to $130 or so! I'll probably wait til January or so though - when today's $200-250 ones will be down to $150 or so.

Once you've got a DVD you never go back!

I have both the Fight Club and MIB DVD's and they have so much stuff on them - it's great.

In the DVD version of T2 you see that the T1000 was damaged by being frozen, he starts to change into things he is touching without meaning to, which explains why he is able to be destroyed later on - he takes a long time to reform.

It's like the dream sequence in Blade Runner, once you know that he dreams that he is a unicorn, and blokey leaves a model unicorn (showing that he knows what the blade runners dream is - because it was implanted) you know that the blade runner is also a replicant. Cool stuff....

oooohh pub time... bye!

The T2 - Ultimate Edition DVD has a 3rd version of the film hidden on the disc as an Easter Egg. I found it the other day and was shocked by the ending, which is a completely different alternate ending that has never ben released before.

LOL. The third version of the film as well as the other Easter Egg on the disc were pretty tough to find, but it's part of my job to hunt them down. Put the DVD in so that you can choose between the theatrical and special edition versions of the film. Then choose the special edition version. This will bring up the menu for this version. On the right side of the menu, you should see some funky looking symbols. If you look close, they are really Roman numerals. On your remote control for the DVD player type 82797, the date of Judgment Day in the movie. On some players you may need to hit enter after each number. Then the numbers change to say 'The Future Is Not Set'. Then the eyes on the endoskeleton light up and a new menu saying 'Extended Special Edition' appears on the screen. This version has all of the deleted scenes plus the brand new alternate ending that has never been shown on anything before. There's another Easter Egg on the disc as well. Insert the disc to access the second side of the DVD. Don't touch any of the buttons. You'll notice that the DVD menu has a 30 second break and then repeats. After each break, a different Egg will appear. One Egg appears in the lower left hand corner of the screen. The words 'Join the Resistance' will appear and when you click on it, you get the weblink for Artisan. The second Egg is a tiny head of Beethoven which leads to the original Swelltone trailer. The third Egg is my favorite. The head of the T-1000 morphs onto the screen and says 'Get Out!' Now the only thing is, these Eggs are random, so you may need to sit there for a few minutes to see all of them, but trust me, they are worth it.

If anyone wants to know any other Easter Eggs on any other DVDs, I've found Eggs on about 300 of my discs so far. Happy Hunting!!

I for one would love to hear some more about some of the cooler eggs here. Not only that, but I'd love to hear more about this alternative ending - could you possibly post it as a spoiler? I feel like a kid around a campfire...

******SPOILER******

The T2 alternate ending comes out of nowhere. Arnold still gets deep fried, but the original ending which had the monologue by Linda Hamilton is replaced with an actual scene of the future for us. We see Hamilton as an old lady sitting on a park bench near the famous playground and in the background is a fabulous matte effect of the 'City of the Future'. We hear Hamilton say that her son John is fighting the war a different way now, in the government...probably Senate or something and we see an old John playing with a child on a slide. The child comes over to Hamilton and calls her Grandma. Hamilton goes on saying that she wishes she could tell everyone that each day after what should have been Judgment Day is a gift and to use it with love etc. It's a pretty sweet ending, but completely slams the door shut on any sequel potential which is probably why it's never been shown considering that the script to T3 is currently being worked on with everyone except Cameron saying they'll do the film.

So there ya go. Name any movies in particular and I'll check my references to see if it's got any Easter Eggs on it at all.

Uh...Star Wars, The Matrix, and X-Men would have to be the ones...no others coming to mind just yet.

And hey - thanks for answering my questions. It's so cool to have a resident DVD expert here ready to answer questions at my every whim! <evil laughter>

Anytime. DVD is a major hobbie, not to mention what gives me a paycheck. The four Star Wars movies aren't on DVD yet, but considering that George Lucas is obsessed with making his projects better than everyone else, the DVDs should have sweet eggs on them. The Matrix has a couple of Easter Eggs that are pretty easy to find and they are both advertised as well. In the Special Features section go to Cast and Crew Bios. Then choose the Warchowsky Brothers. Down at the bottom of the screen you should see a red pill. If you click on it, it will bring up a 12 minute documentary about the concept of the movie. The other Egg is sweet. From the main menu click on Special Features and then click on The Dream World. Another red pill comes up which is another documentary explaining 'bullet time' effects. As far as The X-Men goes, the DVDs are plush. The best thing about the November 21 released DVD is a ton of deleted scenes. So far Fox as not put any Easter Eggs on the DVD, but eggs are usually added a few weeks before the DVDs are encoded. Considering it's a Fox release, I wouldn't be surprised if they have an alternate ending and/or interviews encoded as eggs.

That is so cool! Ironically, I own The Matrix on DVD, but have no DVD Player, hehe. I'll have to give those a try, though.

Hmmm...I can't think of any others. Are there are eggs that are personal favorites of yours, or were particularly hard to find?

Where do you find em anyway? Just messing around with the DVD?

I have to look for Easter Eggs for my job because we deal with 6 million people who are just as obsessed with special features as I am. I've been doing this so long now, I can tell by looking at the DVDs menu if it'll have Easter Eggs on it and depending on the studio, I can identify what the eggs are that I need to look for. For example, I knew that The Mummy (1999) would have the movies score and trailers hidden on the disc because it's a Universal/MCA release. Sure enough, the entire score is in the Languages section and the extra trailers on in Fraser and Vosloo's bios. Warner Brothers tends to put documentaries on the disc as Easter Eggs. My favorite egg and hardest to find egg are two documentaries on Practical Magic. Go to the main menu and then to the Special Features. Select the Cauldron in the center of the screen and you will see a screen with a number of herbs to brew your own love potion. Select Rosemary, Mint, Grapes and then Lavender in exactly this order and then click on Mix. It'll pull up the Making Magic and Casting The Spell documentaries. Warner Brothers likes games too. Like the Follow the White Rabbit on The Matrix and if you play the trivia game on Chill Factor and get everything right, you'll see the alternate ending. Generally Easter Eggs are simple, but every once in awhile a big one will be tough to find. The Austin Powers 2 Easter Egg is probably the hardest to find even though it's right under your nose. From the disc's main menu, go to the special features section. Then, watch Austin do his little dance thingy and don't touch anything. After about one minute, Dr. Evil's space ship will come by, leaving the Evil symbol behind. Click on the symbol and you'll see a menu for a number of features dedicated to the evilest masterminds of them all, including the great and infamous 20-minute comedy Central Special. This I stumbled onto by accident. I left the disc running to get a drink and got back in time to find the egg. I've found Easter Eggs on almost all of my 300 DVDs, but I know there are more out there...lol. I'll be hunting till I'm 50

You have no idea how cool this all is.

I'll have to try some of these at some point. Would you say most easter eggs are little interviews and things like that? As in: very few actually have an alternate ending?