Oscar's Best Supporting Actress 2023

Tools    

Oscar's Best Supporting Actress will be...?
33.33%
6 votes
Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
16.67%
3 votes
Hong Chau, The Whale
38.89%
7 votes
Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
5.56%
1 votes
Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once
5.56%
1 votes
Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Jamie Lee Curtis did win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

As for co-stars canceling each other out in the voting, while neither of the Banshees of Inisherin fellas won Best Supporting Actor Jamie Lee Curtis did indeed get the Supporting Actress statue despite Everything Everywhere All at Once's Stephanie Hsu also being in her category. That is five winners out of thirteen pairs in the 21st Century (only 38%).

A system of cells interlinked
This is one of the few picks I missed, as I had Angela Bassett to win. I think I had Curtis 4th in my ranking, so her win was a surprise to me!

Now, I wasn’t exactly a fan of Everything… but I even so, for all the many awards it did win, this one perhaps baffled me the most.

I mean, amusing little role for Jamie and it was funny enough seeing her in such role. But best performance of the entire year? There wasn’t much in that performance - to me at least - that screamed amazing. I really don’t understand it.

Or well, I kinda do, because every year there’s that movie that just sweeps the Oscar’s. And Everything was that movie.

I admit, I was pretty surprised when she was nominated. Not that I don't love her or think she does great work. It just never occurred to me, while watching the movie, that it was that kind of performance, I guess.

As happy I was for Jamie Lee, I think the award was more of a "Lifetime Achievement/Body of Work" award rather than for this particular performance. She's definitely done stronger work.