30th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Welcome to the 30th HoF!

Everyone is Welcomed to Join Even if you've never joined an HoF before or dropped out in the past...We'd love to have you join.

Hall of Fames are a long standing tradition here at MoFo and have been going on continuously since 2013. We've done 90 of them in the last 9 years! That's close to a 1000 movies and that's a lot of movies!

The rules have changed and for the better! Thanks to everyone who gave input on how to make future HoFs better, friendlier and funner. Make sure and read the new rules before joining. New rules and revisions are in red.

Rules of Participation:  

Past Main HOF Archives........ Past Specialty HOF Archives

Deadline March 10th midnight PST

Reviews:

Allaby 11/9...Ballot received
An Autumn Afternoon
Candyman
Dead Man's Letters
Dog Day Afternoon
Ida
Fat Girl
Lawrence of Arabia
Ship of Fools
The Uninvited
To Live and Die in L.A.
Valley of the Dolls

Beelzebubble 11/9...Ballot received
An Autumn Afternoon
Candyman
Dead Man's Letters
Dog Day Afternoon
Fat Girl
Ida
Lawrence of Arabia
Ship of Fools
The Uninvited
To Live and Die in L.A.
Valley of the Dolls

Citizen 11/9...Ballot finalized
An Autumn Afternoon

Candyman
Dead Man's Letters
Dog Day Afternoon
Fat Girl
Ida
Lawrence of Arabia
Ship of Fools
The Uninvited
To Live and Die in L.A.
Valley of the Dolls

Edarsenal 8/9...Ballot received
Lawrence of Arabia
Ida
Dog Day Afternoon
Fat Girl
Ship of Fools
The Uninvited
To Live and Die in L.A.
Valley of the Dolls

Jiraffejustin 4/9 Dropped Out
An Autumn Afternoon
Dog Day Afternoon
Ship of Fools
To Live and Die in L.A.

MovieGal 2/9 Dropped Out
To Lie and Die in L.A.
Valley of the Dolls

Phoenix 11/9...Ballot received
An Autumn Afternoon
Dead Man's Letters
Dog Day Afternoon
Fat Girl
Ida
Lawrence of Arabia
Ship of Fools
The Uninvited
To Live and Die in L.A.
Valley of the Dolls

Raul 9/9...Ballot received
An Autumn Afternoon
Dead Man's Letters
Dog Day Afternoon
Fat Girl
Ida
Lawrence of Arabia
Ship of Fools
To Live and Die in L.A.

Valley of the Dolls

Siddon 11/9...Ballot received
An Autumn Afternoon
Candyman
Dead Man's Letters
Dog Day Afternoon
Fat Girl
Ida
Lawrence of Arabia
Ship of Fools
The Uninvited
To Live and Die in L.A.
Valley of the Dolls

SpelingError 10/9...Ballot received
An Autumn Afternoon
Candyman
Dead Man's Letters
Dog Day Afternoon
Fat Girl
Ida
Lawrence of Arabia
Ship of Fools
To Live and Die in L.A.
Valley of the Dolls

Thief 10/9...Ballot received
An Autumn Afternoon
Dead Man's Letters
Dog Day Afternoon
Fat Girl
Ida
Lawrence of Arabia
Ship of Fools
The Uninvited
To Live and Die in L.A.
Valley of the Dolls

The Nominations for the 30th Hall of Fame

An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
Director: Ozu
Nominated by Raul

I nominated An Autumn Afternoon because I believe it was a fantastic culmination to a great directors filmography. It is one of the most beautifully shot foreign films I've seen. While I often have trouble connecting to some foreign films, this one I felt I was on the same level with. It truly showcases Ozu's every talents that he has...Raul

Dead Man's Letters (1986)
Director: Konstantin Lopushanskiy
Nominated by SpelingError

My interest for this film was piqued once I learned that some elements of it were reminiscent of Tarkovsky's Stalker, my #1 film of all time. When I first watched it, I felt it was a lesser Stalker (though still very good), but after I revisited it a couple years later, I ended up giving it a 10/10 and it landed in my all-time top 20. If you're a fan of Tarkovsky's masterpiece, I think both films would make for a terrific double feature. Overall, I'm looking forward to reading your reviews and I'm curious how the rest of you will respond to the film...SpelingError

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
Director: Sidney Lumet
Nominated by Phoenix74

I first watched Dog Day Afternoon when I was 20 - I remember I'd been gardening, done a lot of hard work, and was relaxed and ready for a good film. I remember everything because that's how good Dog Day Afternoon is - I'll never forget that first time - I was elevated to the "wow" plain from the very start, and it maintained that grip on me for every minute of it's run-time. It left an indelible mark.
I nominate Hall of Fame movies on a three-movie rotation : Well known classic/hardly seen gem/great Australian films - and this is my "well known classic" pick. My last one of those was Jaws...Phoenix

Fat Girl (2001)
Director: Catherine Breillat
Nominated by Allaby

Also known as ‘À ma soeur!’ I selected this film because it is in my all time top 300 and I love it. Fat Girl is a thought provoking and powerful drama anchored by a brave, beautiful and haunting performance from its young lead. It's directed in a compelling and memorable way and packs a punch. Love it or hate it, you won't easily forget it...Allaby

Ida (2013)
Director: Pawel Pawlikowski
Nominated by Thief

Why? It was recommended to me by a great Internet friend and I was really blown away by the cinematography/direction, but also by the story/performances. It's from the same director as Cold War, which a lot of people raved about; and although I liked Cold War quite a bit, I prefer this one a whole lot more. So that's about it...Thief

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Director: David Lean
Nominated by Beelzebubble

This is a fabulous movie. The story of TE Lawrence is fascinating, An British Army officer goes to the Middle East during the WWI and leads the Arabs, who are then a disparate group of tribes, in battle wresting much of the Middle East from the Turks and creating sovereign countries under Arab rule. The cinematography is gorgeous. I have no interest in desert places. Yet this cinematographer uses the desert to its greatest advantage. The script is 3 hours long but you wouldn't want to lose a minute of it. The actors are amazing from the lead, Peter O'Toole to the smallest supporting role...Bubbles

Ship of Fools (1965)
Director: Stanley Kramer
Nominated by Edarsenal

Originally sought out for Simone Signoret I became more and more enamored by everyone and how mercurial the transition was between characters and their storylines similar to a symphony. All poignant and interlocking with the sensation of being a passenger on this cruise ship engaged in people watching as everyone passed in and out of frame...Edarsenal

Valley of the Dolls (1967)
Director: Mark Robson
Nominated by Citizen

Valley of the Dolls is a hyper kinetic soap opera, don't expect reality and don't expect realistic acting...it ain't about that. It's pure soap and pure glitzy glam 1967. It's suppose to be over the top, if you've ever seen a daytime soap opera you know what I mean. I love it as it succeeds at doing what it's trying to do while entertaining and while encapsulating the feeling of a fleeting time during the height of the 'summer of love -1967'. It co-stars Sharon Tate, Patty Duke and Barbara Perkins...Citizen

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)
Director: William Friedkin
Nominated by Siddon

The Uninvited (1944)
Director: Lewis Allen
Nominated by MovieGal
Note: Optional to watch for now

I love gothic horror and The Uninvited is just that. It was 1 of 3 I was choosing from that are gothic horror and from the 1940s. Two of my other ones were Finnish but as you know there is none out there with English subs for one. My other choice was in the past 20 years and had a full cast of actors of a specific race/culture and still in English. Beautiful film...MovieGal

Candyman (1992)
Director: Bernard Rose
Nominated by Jiraffejustin

Candyman is one of the best horror films of the 90s. It has one of the best scores in the history of the genre, a relatively simple score that adds to an already, at times, dream-like atmosphere. I don't know if there is another horror film to ever satisfy the needs of the social commentary crowd, the atmospheric horror crowd, and the gore whores all at once the way Candyman does. Tony Todd is great. Virginia Madsen is great. I'm not sure how much weight to put into the whole story of Virginia Madsen being "hypnotized" during certain scenes, but there are a bunch of fantastic close ups that are often shot with interesting lighting and shadows with Madsen looking totally out of it. I still haven't seen the new one, but the OG is fantastic and I hope some y'all get something out of it...Jirrafejustin
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	30 An Autumn Afternoon .jpg
Views:	804
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	90429   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Dog Day Afternoon.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	90431   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Fat Girl.jpeg
Views:	751
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	90432   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Ida (2013).jpg
Views:	729
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	90433   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Lawrence of Arabia.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	90434  

Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Ship of Fools.jpeg
Views:	747
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	90435   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Valley of the Dolls a.jpeg
Views:	762
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	90436   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 Dead Mans Letters (1986).jpg
Views:	770
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	90437   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 To Live and Die in LA (1985) .jpg
Views:	760
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	90439   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 The Uninvited.jpeg
Views:	767
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	90443  

There's new rules based on what everyone said would improve the HoFs. I really hope everyone takes the time to read them And now is a good time to ask questions or to discuss them.

We all need to pull together here as a group and make this the best HoF ever! I hope people will support this new effort by joining, because if people don't join then all of these improved rules won't mean anything if people don't give the HoF another shot.

I promise I'll be working my ass off to keep things super friendly but I need your help too. So please join in on the fun, it's easy 1 week for each movie and that's a leisurely pace. This will be fun & friendly or else!

Negative movie reviews are of course allowed and are part of the HoF, but using a review to 'pay someone back' isn't allowed. If such reviews are posted the member will be messaged and asked to take out the snarky comments before linking them and flagging them as official.
Is this a thing that has actually happened? I'm kind of out of the loop with the HOF lately, but WTF if people have actually been doing that.

Is this a thing that has actually happened? I'm kind of out of the loop with the HOF lately, but WTF if people have actually been doing that.
It was talked about in the last HoF as a problem or potential problem and some members thought that would be a good idea to stop problems before they happened. The Hall of Infamy had that listed as a rule.

I will have to think about it...

Okay, I just thought about it and decided I'm in!

I promise to try and be on my best behaviour and make an effort to be nice.

We will see. I need to know what is nominated first. Haven't really feel like movie watching lately.

I might consider joining this one, so you can write me down as tentative.