The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

Tools    

I just don't like this paragraph because it comes off to me as sort of passive superiority, not that I think that was your intent because I don't. Change McDonald's salad to Maine Lobster and realize that you're in the minority. None of this has anything to do with how I feel about the movie.
I'm talking just about the feeling of everyone loving something you find average. I am well aware that I'm in the minority. I accept it. I don't hate the film at all. It just kind of baffles me. I totally get that everyone else thinks it's the fancy lobster!

I thought Shawshank was a very good movie, but not quite a great one, and, while I 100% get why so many people love it so much, I'd also say that the same reason they love it is the exact same reason why I didn't; it tries too hard to comfort/spoon-fed its emotions to the audience. As another poster explained on another forum once, the main message of the movie seems to be "People who seem good will continue to be that way no matter what their circumstances are", and I've always sensed a more challenging film lying within it, like what if Andy...

WARNING: spoilers below
...really did kill his wife and her lover? Like, what if when Red goes to the field to retrieve the box of money, he also stumbles upon another compartment within it, one which holds Andy's murder weapon, confirming his guilt? The movie would obviously need some overall reworking to make that change work (as the "redemption" of the title would become Andy's moral redemption from his crime), but I think it would be more powerful if done properly.

Also, I really think it needed less narration from Red, possibly none at all; I mean, why do we need him to tell us that every man in Shawshank felt free as a bird when they hear Andy's opera record, when we were literally seeing that emotion for ourselves on their faces already?

I mean, what about this scene was improved any bit by adding that narration?

I thought Shawshank was a very good movie, but not quite a great one, and, while I 100% get why so many people love it so much, I'd also say that the same reason they love it is the exact same reason why I didn't; it tries too hard to comfort/spoon-fed its emotions to the audience. As another poster explained on another forum once, the main message of the movie seems to be "People who seem good will continue to be that way no matter what their circumstances are", and I've always sensed a more challenging film lying within it, like what if Andy...

WARNING: spoilers below
...really did kill his wife and her lover? Like, what if when Red goes to the field to retrieve the box of money, he also stumbles upon another compartment within it, one which holds Andy's murder weapon, confirming his guilt? The movie would obviously need some overall reworking to make that change work (as the "redemption" of the title would become Andy's moral redemption from his crime), but I think it would be more powerful if done properly.

Also, I really think it needed less narration from Red, possibly none at all; I mean, why do we need him to tell us that every man in Shawshank felt free as a bird when they hear Andy's opera record, when we were literally seeing that emotion for ourselves on their faces already?

I mean, what about this scene was improved any bit by adding that narration?

Shawshank Redemption is my favorite film of all time. I do understand that my love for it might have more to do with a very personal reaction I had to it when I first watched it, but then again, don't we all re: our favorites? Still, I would say that objectively speaking it is a pretty good film, but I understand those that don't see it as such, and I'm not bothered at all when people dismiss it. I mean, I don't care about Goodfellas or most Scorsese films, I didn't care about The Matrix or The Sixth Sense, as well as several other stances where I know I'm in the minority. But that's the beauty of both being a film fan and, of course, an adult. We can all disagree, and discuss and argue and joke about those disagreements, and everything will still be fine.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Shawshank Redemption is my favorite film of all time. I do understand that my love for it might have more to do with a very personal reaction I had to it when I first watched it, but then again, don't we all re: our favorites? Still, I would say that objectively speaking it is a pretty good film, but I understand those that don't see it as such, and I'm not bothered at all when people dismiss it. I mean, I don't care about Goodfellas or most Scorsese films, I didn't care about The Matrix or The Sixth Sense, as well as several other stances where I know I'm in the minority. But that's the beauty of both being a film fan and, of course, an adult. We can all disagree, and discuss and argue and joke about those disagreements, and everything will still be fine.
Yeah I used to get mad when people harped on my favorite films. But I really don't care anymore. If we all loved on the same films then it wouldn't be as fun. Plus, I harp on beloved films like Pulp Fiction so it's only fair.

When I first saw Shawshank I didn't like it at all mostly due to two things: Robbins and they changed/ left things out from the novella. That second thing there, I have that issue with most books that I like that get turned into movies. They just have to omit some stuff to fit a time frame and a lot of times even the simplest stuff in the novel adds to the overall story. Having seen Shawshank a few times now and having not read the story in over 30 years I can say it's a solid 4/5. As for movies that everyone loves that I hate, Annie Hall sucks and The Shining, with it's crap overacting, isn't far behind.

I don't feel threatened if people don't like my favorite films. That's because I know who I am and I value having an opinion that's not in line with everyone else...I can respect and understand different viewpoints on films too. In fact I find the reasons people like films to be interesting. What I don't get is how some people have an adversarial reaction to when someone pans their favorite film...That always puzzles me.