A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Whenever I look at what's available on Kanopy, I am always surprised and impressed, given that it's effectively a free service. If I wasn't drowning in the riches of the criterion channel, I'd be using it a lot more (the one downside is it's 720p last I checked). And it does have a FireTV app.

I thought the limit was 4 movies a month, but again, I'm drowning in criterion's offerings, so I don't leverage the service a lot.

The only thing I've ever watched on Kanopy was Craig Russel's "Outrageous"

It was ****.

Given you've only recently subscribed to criterion, that's kind of surprising.
Whenever I look for something on justwatch that ends up being on criterion, the two other services most likely to also have it are HBO Max and Kanopy.

I saw Ash is Purest White on Kanopy while trying to follow along a film podcast.
It was better than ****.

Alright, I'm tackling the Hooptober list on Letterboxd which has a list of criteria and this is what I came up with:

Films released on my birth year:
And Now the Screaming Starts (Haunted House/UK)
The Werewolf of Washington (1970s)

1981 Films:
The Boogens (1980s)
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (US)
Don't Go in the Woods (woods setting)
Final Exam

Folk Horror:
Haxan (Sweden) (1920s)
Midsommar (2010s)

Tobe Hooper:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Kong/Kaiju:
King Kong (1930s)

Hammer Horror:
The Lodge (Haunted House)
The Kiss of the Vampire (1960s)

Director/Lead Actor of Color:
Get Out
His House
Sweetheart

Asian Horror:
Boomika (India) (2020s)
#Alive (South Korea)
Hantu Kah Limah (Malaysia)

Worst Part 2s:
Birdemic 2: The Resurrection

Thrown In to Give Me an 8th Decade:
Death Machine (1995)

Thoughts?

This is a fair take, but I do like this movie. Likably scrappy, and moments that slide sideways into effective horror. Traditional notions of "good" are best abandoned before one's viewing.

This is a fair take, but I do like this movie. Likably scrappy, and moments that slide sideways into effective horror. Traditional notions of "good" are best abandoned before one's viewing.

Oh, I love it.

But lol is the only thing that can honestly be said about it.

I'm trying to determine if I've seen this or not. Letterboxd has no record of me watching it, but the plot summary and screen caps look vaguely familiar.

WARNING: spoilers below
Is this one of the movies with a sole cannibal, mountain man going around, killing people. I think there's some type of reveal at the end where there's a basket he got off of someone he killed and carries around for the movie. And in the end, it's revealed to be a baby. Or am I thinking of a completely different mountain man cannibal movie? I know it's not Rituals. I still haven't seen that one.

Alright, I'm tackling the Hooptober list on Letterboxd which has a list of criteria and this is what I came up with:

1981 Films:
The Boogens (1980s)

Worst Part 2s:
Birdemic 2: The Resurrection

Thoughts?

Outside of the Part 2 challenge, it looks like you don't have to do new viewings for the other challenges (though aware of Hooptober, I've never tried to participate)? Which makes me say on The Boogens, you can probably do worse, but you can also probably do a lot better. But it is a monster movie if you're lacking on those.

Birdemic 2 plays a lot like Birdemic, except with the cast going, "oh you liked the silly thing I did in the first one? Okay, I guess I'll knowingly give it to you again."

I'm not even sure what would be available to me there. I own Friday the 13th part 2, Halloween 2, Tetsuo 2, Nightmare Detective 2 (but I don't have subtitles for it), and Troll 2.

I haven't seen ND2, nor for reasons that are clear to me, Tetsuo 2.

I'm trying to determine if I've seen this or not. Letterboxd has no record of me watching it, but the plot summary and screen caps look vaguely familiar.

WARNING: spoilers below
Is this one of the movies with a sole cannibal, mountain man going around, killing people. I think there's some type of reveal at the end where there's a basket he got off of someone he killed and carries around for the movie. And in the end, it's revealed to be a baby. Or am I thinking of a completely different mountain man cannibal movie? I know it's not Rituals. I still haven't seen that one.

That sounds about right.

But it's also so much more than that!!

Outside of the Part 2 challenge, it looks like you don't have to do new viewings for the other challenges (though aware of Hooptober, I've never tried to participate)? Which makes me say on The Boogens, you can probably do worse, but you can also probably do a lot better. But it is a monster movie if you're lacking on those.

Birdemic 2 plays a lot like Birdemic, except with the cast going, "oh you liked the silly thing I did in the first one? Okay, I guess I'll knowingly give it to you again."

I'm not even sure what would be available to me there. I own Friday the 13th part 2, Halloween 2, Tetsuo 2, Nightmare Detective 2 (but I don't have subtitles for it), and Troll 2.

I haven't seen ND2 nor for reasons I clear to me, Tetsuo 2.
Although they don't say specifically that it has to be films you haven't seen before, I tried to go with all new films that I haven't seen before.

A few of these I'm not sold on....The Werewolf of Washington, although easy to find on Roku, is definitely something I feel like I could do better. Hoping the Hammer films drop on other services for October so maybe I can lean away from The Lodge. And I'm not entirely sold on Hantu Kak Limah which looks a bit goofy from the previews on Netflix.

For some reason, I forgot about Death Machine which was also on the list. Largely to give me the 8th decade they required. Could I do better? Sure.

Still, some solid highlights and some films that could be sleepers.

Although they don't say specifically that it has to be films you haven't seen before, I tried to go with all new films that I haven't seen before.

A few of these I'm not sold on....The Werewolf of Washington, although easy to find on Roku, is definitely something I feel like I could do better. Hoping the Hammer films drop on other services for October so maybe I can lean away from The Lodge. And I'm not entirely sold on Hantu Kak Limah which looks a bit goofy from the previews on Netflix.

For some reason, I forgot about Death Machine which was also on the list. Largely to give me the 8th decade they required. Could I do better? Sure.

Still, some solid highlights and some films that could be sleepers.

I suspected some of the choices were driven by wanting to see new things. I only called that one out because I remember seeing it as part of a lineup a few years ago and being somewhat underwhelmed given the premise. But it is a monster movie which might give some variety to your line-up (a number of which I am not familiar with).

And Now the Screaming Starts (Haunted House/UK)
The Werewolf of Washington (1970s)
There's a few good ones from '73 that I'd recommend over these. Or did you choose these for a reason? (availability?)

I'll just throw these out there in case one of them works for you.

the obvious ones:
Exorcist
Don't Look Now
The Wicker Man

personal faves:
Theater of Blood
The Iron Rose
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
Frankenstein: The True Story
Lisa and the Devil
Attack of the Blind Dead aka Return of the Evil Dead
Vault of Horror
Tales That Witness Madness
Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural

and there's also The Legend of Hell House, which I have loved and not loved at various points in my life. But it has a following.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow >>>>>>>>> The Dark Knight

You were supposed to watch this two years ago when the rest of us did. Until you rectify this we will all secretly think that you're less cool than we are.

Going to letterboxd, filtering by 1981 + horror, and then going down by popularity, it looks like the next four films for me would be: My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler, Happy Birthday to Me, and Madman.

Kind of surprising I never saw the first and third listed as I feel like I've heard their names a lot when growing up.

Going to letterboxd, filtering by 1981 + horror, and then going down by popularity, it looks like the next four films for me would be: My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler, Happy Birthday to Me, and Madman.

Kind of surprising I never saw the first and third listed as I feel like I've heard their names a lot when growing up.
I'm probably the biggest fan of The Prowler and HBTM on this forum. I hope you dig em!

On a separate note,

James Wan's Malignant is simply wonderful. It's befuddling, campy, Gonzo, hyper-violent, stylish and bananas filmmaking that Hollywood usually avoids like the plague in order to not alienate audiences. Instead, Wan snorted the ashes of Lucio Fulci and said "what if horror had more parkour?"

Victim of The Night
If you have a library card, many libraries subscribe to a service called Kanopy. You can watch 10 movies a month on it, and it has a pretty good selection of newer and older films.
Oh yeah, I remember you telling us about that before, thanks.

Victim of The Night

The Boogens (1980s)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Get Out

Thoughts?
I will particularly be looking forward to your thoughts on these.

Victim of The Night
There's a few good ones from '73 that I'd recommend over these. Or did you choose these for a reason? (availability?)

I'll just throw these out there in case one of them works for you.

The Iron Rose

Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural

Dark Night of the Scarecrow >>>>>>>>> The Dark Knight

You were supposed to watch this two years ago when the rest of us did. Until you rectify this we will all secretly think that you're less cool than we are.
I also like The Iron Rose a lot, cheers.
And y'all know I love Lemora.
Of course you're correct on the Darks.