Old people in movies

Tools    

One thing I’ve noticed a lot in movies that feature older people is that there is always a death-related plotline. And this isn’t just a recent trend. It’s become a very predictable twist- The older guy always ends up having cancer. Even if it’s not cancer, they’re always some sort of an illness or occasionally the person will even die of old age.

My question is why ? Why do almost all movies featuring older people have to have death ? It’s such a depressing, unpleasant, trope.

What I've noticed is that you either have people playing past an age that really fits the role (e.g., does anyone really "buy" Ian McKellen as a gigolo in 2019's The Good Liar?).

The other ****ty thing they do is get an ensemble cast of old timers and have played at for comedy. Look at the bumbling old guys try to rob a bank! 2017's Going in Style, for example, wastes the talents of serious actors to have them portray doddering old fools.

I know it might come off as annoying me saying that, as usual, but that’s a generalisation. Eastwood’s Mule (2018) was subverting these stereotypes because an old man, the cartel figured, would never be subjected to the kind of scrutiny a younger man would. No ‘death-related’ plot line there from what I recall. Also, to be fair, it is true that older people are likelier to develop cancer or die in general (technically, you are a little more likely to die each day). The Irishman also has Frank survive. I think it’s more like Chekhov’s gun, i.e., if you have a pregnant character, she’s likely to give birth during the film’s time span, otherwise, why make her be pregnant in the first place? I do agree it’s quite reductive re: old age, but film is a medium that has to be economical.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
There are also movies were you have actors who are too old to being playing action roles, like The Expendables, which is the point of course.

I'd say it's quite a common cliche to have old people doing 'young' things for laughs: robbing banks, picking up new romantic partners or being 'naughty' to show they've still got life in them!

I've also noticed there are quite many elderly people in comedies:
Dirty Grandpa
Babysitting
Just Getting Started
A Walk in the Woods

But look at these: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button or Mr Nobody. They are rather philosophical and make you think about life as it is

it’s more like Chekhov’s gun, i.e., if you have a pregnant character, she’s likely to give birth during the film’s time span, otherwise, why make her be pregnant in the first place?
Catherine Zeta Jones didn’t give birth during Traffic. Probably because her real baby wasn’t due at that time.

Catherine Zeta Jones didn’t give birth during Traffic. Probably because her real baby wasn’t due at that time.
I never said that was always the case, but yes, hard to time well, I imagine. wonder if we’ll come to the stage of Dogma 95 where an actress will agree to be filmed during labour in her contract.

I never said that was always the case, but yes, hard to time well, I imagine. wonder if we’ll come to the stage of Dogma 95 where an actress will agree to be filmed during labour in her contract.
Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s already been done. Though none that I know of.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s already been done. Though none that I know of.
True, needs to be researched further.

The closest thing I’ve found so far is Julie Graham going into labour during the filming of her labour scene. Was a long time ago, back in 2004. But I guess the crucial difference is, it wasn’t deliberate.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-30133602.html