The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Raising Arizona

And take note of a strange scene involving John Goodman and his cell mate escaping prison. Their emergence from the muddy ground is much like birth, complete with Goodman pulling his buddy out by the legs.
When I first saw this scene, I thought it was a a parody of The Shawshank Redemption. I couldn't believe it when I checked and realised Raising Arizona was made some years before.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've bounced back and forth from like to dislike for Raising Arizona

Raising Arizona is on my Mt. Rushmore of comedies and rotates as one of my favorite Coen Bros. movies. I've seen this more than any of their other movies and it's not even close. It's basically a live action cartoon and I love cartoons. It definitely has a unique tone and if you like that I think it works. If you don't, well, it's probably gonna be a rough one to sit through.

Good Night, and Good Luck

This is a movie I've always been interested in yet not enough to move to the top of my list. Finally watching it has validated my previous feelings.

It felt pretty relevant as I've heard comparisons between Joseph McCarthy and Donald Trump. I can understand those thoughts but unfortunately there's no comparing the media.

This is a very fine all around film from the direction to the performances. It's a very tight movie that I believe is pretty accurate historically. It was a wise decision to film in black and white, and in my mind the only option.

Even though I don't really have anything negative to say about it, I wouldn't be happy had I gone to the cinema to see it. The viewer gets what they expect, but nothing more. As well done as it is, I thought it was routine. I think it would have been awesome as a live made for TV film like the excellent remake of Failsafe, which the director of this film (George Clooney) starred in.

+

Btw, I should actually be at five films watched. Missing the link for My review for The Shape of Water.
I didn't even notice that you watched it. I will find it and add it.

...I really liked Good Night and Good Luck but oddly enough I can't remember why I liked it? I can't even remember what it's about. I think it's a biopic about a famous 1950s journalist? I guess that means I should see it again.
Damn I'm a broken record

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I saw Good Night and Good Luck at the cinema late at night. My husband fell asleep, but I thought it was compelling.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

A Taste of Honey (1961)

Jo: I hope to be dead and buried by the time I reach your age. Just think, you've been living for forty years.
Helen: I know, I must be a biological phenomenon.
Jo: You don't look forty. You look a sort of well-preserved sixty.
Helen: Oh, you cheeky monkey!

What continued to dance about my noggin while watching this was just how beautifully shot this film is of such a dirty, industrialized city as Manchester England.
Mirroring the story written by 18 yr old, Shelagh Delaney, that had been made into a stage play before being adapted to film by Tony Richardson.
A story that would, at first hearing, could be just as brutally harsh as the location. But, like the filming of the squalor architect, there is something quite beautiful in the telling of a teenage girl, her irresponsible/self-absorbed mother, the short fling the girl has with a sailor on leave, (who happens to be black), being abandoned by said mother when her latest man demands she must decide between him and her, to finding a "home" when she welcomes a gay gent into the hovel she acquired and soon after, realizes she's pregnant.

All of which was quite the Taboo picnic basket for its time.
All of which is given a moment in the sun as it were.
No politics, no getting trampled beneath Social Expectations or heat-fueled debates regarding Morality.
It is also NOT glamorized, finding the silver lining, making lemonade out of lemons, the sun will come out tomorrow drivel.
Just life.
Every day, as is, life.

Our leading lady, Jo is no innocent waif out of a Charles Dickens novel to be used and abused. But a head strong, independent young woman who finds a moment of love with a very good man who cannot stay. And an even kinder one who's domestic flair puts her own mother (who is not cruel, just more involved in her own pleasure) to shame.

It is. . . well, just what its called: A taste of honey.

BRAVO to whomever nominated this for me
And THANK YOU