The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

I'd say a good portion of the responsibility for that thread turning into a s***-show goes to Sexy Celebrity for sticking his nose where it doesn't belong, as usual.
I totally agree with you, it was Sexy Celebrity stirring up s***

I'd say a good portion of the responsibility for that thread turning into a s***-show goes to Sexy Celebrity for sticking his nose where it doesn't belong, as usual.
I totally agree with you, it was Sexy Celebrity stirring up s***
He will appreciate the mentions

A Man and a Woman

As I said before, I just discovered this movie in another thread just before the nominations were sent and I put it on my watchlist myself. I didn't realize it was on any MoFo list (Cannes'), or that it was an Academy Award winner (foreign film and screenplay). All of this is great but that doesn't mean it's a good nomination if I don't like it. Well it was a great nomination.

I'm not an expert on French new wave so I don't know if this is part of that. It felt like it was and I haven't seen one in a while, so that was a big factor in the film being a treat for me.

A man and a woman have both loved and tragically lost, they meet, and a new romance blooms. It's beautiful yet full of sorrow. It's hard to move on from grief and it shows. Everything is believable here. The current story is pretty minimalist but the flashbacks are not. I loved how the flashbacks were done; you could tell the characters were thinking back and you would see what they were thinking back of. The total package is very moving. It's a movie you need to feel and I felt it.

I was happy with everything; the performances, dialogue, style, and score. Some scenes were in color and some were in black and white. I believe this was due to budgetary restraints and if so it was a blessing in disguise. My rating is conservative.

Any guesses on who picked it for me?
glad you liked it. i had never really heard of it until i went with a friend to a screening at the chicago film festival a few years ago where director claude lelouch happened to be in attendance and did a q&a afterwards. we were both pretty blown away by how beautiful the film was. your post got me to read more about the movie and apparently lelouch made another sequel last year with both jean-louis trintignant and anouk aimee reprising their roles.
criticker

glad you liked it. i had never really heard of it until i went with a friend to a screening at the chicago film festival a few years ago where director claude lelouch happened to be in attendance and did a q&a afterwards. we were both pretty blown away by how beautiful the film was. your post got me to read more about the movie and apparently lelouch made another sequel last year with both jean-louis trintignant and anouk aimee reprising their roles.
It was a great choice, now you're 2 for 2 picking for me.

The trick is not minding
Bambi

Drip drip drop, little April Showers...

I recently watched a Siskel and Ebert review of Bambi and listened to them talk about the famous scene involving Man killing Bambi’s mother. The question was is it too dark for children and what is the cut off age?
This does have some dark elements to it, but those are honestly the best scenes. The first encounter with Man. The forest on fire. And of course, Bambi’s loss of innocence upon learning of his mother’s death. These scenes are all important. And they’re balanced nicely by cute scenes with Bambi and his friends, Flower and Thumper. Touching scenes between Bambi and Faline and of course, his mother.
The drawing is well done and ha s always impressed me when it comes to early Disney.
But it’s the emotion that Bambi evokes that makes this so touching. Bout of the early Disney films I’ve seen, which isn’t a lot, I’d rate it higher then Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, Pinocchio, and 101 Dalmatians.
Good pick.
This will rank highly on my ballot.

Glad you liked it, Wylde.

I considered picking Dumbo for you instead because it’s also beautifully animated, packs a pretty good emotional punch, and isn’t something I picked for anyone last time, but its racist elements drag it down a bit and Bambi has always been my favorite classic Disney anyway. Flower is just too damn cute.

I watched a movie for this as well tonight, but I probably won’t post a review until tomorrow.

The trick is not minding
Dumbo has racist elements?
The crows are racist caricatures.

Edit: I have not seen the movie, so I don’t know how I feel one way or the other, so the opinion noted above isn’t necessarily one I share until I’ve actually seen it and determined it for myself.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The crows are racist caricatures.

Edit: I have not seen the movie, so I don’t know how I feel one way or the other, so the opinion noted above isn’t necessarily one I share until I’ve actually seen it and determined it for myself.
Never knew why?

I've seen the original Dumbo in the last year. I'm not sure the crows where meant to be racist. I think that's more a 21st century perception of the movie. I don't know this for a fact, but I believe that the two crows are based on the popular radio program of the time, Amos & Andy.

The trick is not minding
I've seen the original Dumbo in the last year. I'm not sure the crows where meant to be racist. I think that's more a 21st century perception of the movie. I don't know this for a fact, but I believe that the two crows are based on the popular radio program of the time, Amos & Andy.
It definitely isn’t a 21st century as there were enough claims that during a 1950’s re release, they changed the name of the one Crow and in the 1960’s it had been addressed in a book.
For what it’s worth, there are some critics who believe that they weren’t necessarily racist. Until I’ve seen it, I can’t say myself however.
Anyways, I don’t want to derail the thread over it.

It definitely isn’t a 21st century as there were enough claims that during a 1950’s re release, they changed the name of the one Crow and in the 1960’s it had been addressed in a book.
For what it’s worth, there are some critics who believe that they weren’t necessarily racist. Until I’ve seen it, I can’t say myself however.
Anyways, I don’t want to derail the thread over it.
I didn't know that about the 1950s controversy. I didn't remember what the crows said but they did stand out to me. However I didn't see them as racist, maybe they're a stereo type caricature.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Bambi

Drip drip drop, little April Showers...

I recently watched a Siskel and Ebert review of Bambi and listened to them talk about the famous scene involving Man killing Bambi’s mother. The question was is it too dark for children and what is the cut off age?
This does have some dark elements to it, but those are honestly the best scenes. The first encounter with Man. The forest on fire. And of course, Bambi’s loss of innocence upon learning of his mother’s death. These scenes are all important. And they’re balanced nicely by cute scenes with Bambi and his friends, Flower and Thumper. Touching scenes between Bambi and Faline and of course, his mother.
The drawing is well done and ha s always impressed me when it comes to early Disney.
But it’s the emotion that Bambi evokes that makes this so touching. Bout of the early Disney films I’ve seen, which isn’t a lot, I’d rate it higher then Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, Pinocchio, and 101 Dalmatians.
Good pick.
This will rank highly on my ballot.
Not sure if I've ever met someone who DIDN'T enjoy Bambi. Glad to hear it.
I had made a similar remark reviewing Snow White in the 18th HoF: "Something I've always admired is the artistic creativity of delving into the pure heart of Goodness AS WELL as the disturbing soul of Evil with equal dedication."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Racist or not, the Crows were my favorite song and the most memorable. I still quote the opening lines:
I seen a peanut stand, I heard a rubber band
I seen a needle that winked its eye
But I be done seen 'bout ev'rything
When I see a elephant fly

Though I CANNOT watch Dumbo because of this scene where I start bawling even before it shows up

I'm already getting weepy just thinking about it

For the record, I do still love Dumbo in spite of its racism. It's just that I don't love it as much as I did as a child because adult me understands what's happening and I can't ignore it. I do kind of regret mentioning it though as the discussion has focused more on Dumbo than on Bambi and Dumbo wasn't a nominee.