Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Alright, guys?

You lot can throw all the stats in the world regarding Sczescny's season at me, and I'll still think we'd be better off with Mignolet (who was up for grabs), Valdes or make a run at Courtois. Sczesny will find a way to turn into sh!te again, just like Bendtner always did after he had a run of good games
I agree with you. If you could get/could've gotten any of those, you'd be mad to stick with Sczescny as your #1. But he's been better, so far, this season and that's undeniable. Obviously he's been helped by a steady CB pairing in front of him and Flamini screening the back four, but when he's been called on he's done well.

The Harry Redknapp stuff is great. Thanks for that.

Daniel, do you think what you're seeing on the pitch is the effects of the behind the scenes stuff?

Did anyone else see Berba trying yesterday? You'd think he was angling for a move or something.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Very happy at the result yesterday, as an Everton fan.... 4 points from united, and Arsenal away is great. Where proving to be a very difficult team to beat.

Alright, guys?

You lot can throw all the stats in the world regarding Sczescny's season at me, and I'll still think we'd be better off with Mignolet (who was up for grabs), Valdes or make a run at Courtois. Sczesny will find a way to turn into sh!te again, just like Bendtner always did after he had a run of good games.

I don't like the way in which Ozil dissapeared against the big teams. They press him, play a high tempo and he just dissapears.
Fair enough, I agree that Mignolet is better and maybe you should of gone for him, but Valdes I don't think is that great, he's very dodgy at times and a lot of people see him as a weak link in the Barca team, I don't think Chelsea would allow Courtouis to go to a main rival either.

Daniel, do you think what you're seeing on the pitch is the effects of the behind the scenes stuff?
Honestly? No. It's easy to blame it on that but we've had 6 wins in the last 27 games, that's long before this Tan interfering started happening, and included the end of the Championship when we started going negative even though we were the best team in the league. It's Malky's 'grab a point from a set piece mentality', where he aims for draws away from home no matter how weak the opposition, it's embarrassing, and we're better than that. At home we are more open, and when we are we have shown we have the quality to play (Man United, City and Swansea), but even then the chances that we create are limited, some games we only have 1 or 2 shots on target, which is absolutely pathetic, if you look at those three games actually 5 of the 7 goals came from set pieces.

I love Malky to bits, but part of that is because he seems to be the only thing human and decent left at the club, he's a hard working, honest man, who has the right attitude, says the right thing and is friendly with his heart in the right place. If he had the attitude of our previous manager, Dave Jones, the fans may have turned on him by now. I still have faith and want him to do well, but with every poor result this fades a little more, especially when its against Stoke and Crystal Palace.

I'm slightly surprised that no one's posted about Spurs and/or the ridiculous sacking of AVB. Also, has anyone other than himself and any of his Fleet Street friends really considered Tim Sherwood as their new manager? Lastly, does anyone know if the 'last straw' was AVB not playing/refusing to play Adebayor? I really can't believe it. Was AVB really doing that poor a job? With all the new players and the chances they were creating. They weren't scoring, and that's a big concern, but they created plenty of chances. The manager can't be blamed for them being missed. Even with Adebayor scoring, they still didn't beat West Ham.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think Levy painted himself into a corner by thinking that buying 20 central midfielders (paid for by the loss of their creative heart) at once would ever ever work.

Someone had to go in order to save face...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Holy crap! Tim '442 and screw the holding midfielder (I was crap at it anyway)' Sherwood gets the Spud hotseat til 2015

No more coffee for me, I'll just watch spurs games and wait for a basketball score

*EDIT*

And yes, RE above ponderings, it's all mental. The Ade thing has been touted by press as if it's insider gold, but who knows. Could be the drubbings, could be the lack of flair, could be personality clashes. F*ck it, I'm still not sure why Harry was fired. (Assume it was the dodgy-dealering, but again, who knows).

The facts as they stand are: We get through about 12 managers per every Arsenal one.

And we do have a hell of a lot of redundant/unhappy midfielders now. And Redschnaps Mk 2 played a youth teamer in front of a bunch of them. Fun times

(Bizarrely, it does feel like we're back to 'classic Spurs' now tho. Hair-brained daring-do. 'Puff and come' I'm calling it [after a pre-boxing-day beer too many ])

Yep, it's Redknapp II.

Mixed with a bit of Steve Wigley...

Weird appointment. Until this season I thought Levy was one of the more clued-up Chairmen in the league. He's now not far off Vincent Tan and that Hull bloke - One of the most important seasons in Spurs' history and he appoints a man with two matches managerial experience. And is an Arsenal fan.

So he's Redknapp mixed with Graham mixed with Wigley. Redhamley? Grigknapp? Wiedknham?

there's a frog in my snake oil
This season was already founded on a weird principle - mix up the team massively, to take advantage of other teams being in flux. Eh? And now fire the manager when players haven't bedded in. (It probably didn't help that the main strategy we deployed was: 'keep the ball away from the fox in the box'. But still!)

For now, let us call him…. Dead Man Walking?

I know it's just the national press and it's a boys club, looking out for your old muckers, etc, but all this talk of Ade scoring 3 in 2 games (one of which was a loss) and 'all he needed was a bit of love/an arm around the shoulder', 'why wasn't he given a game?' crap has managed to get under my skin. It's as if they'd not seen him at Arsenal... Or City... Or even Spurs. It's that wonderful Fleet Street gift of forgetting anything and everything that could disprove/challenge whatever piece it is you're writing that day (which you've probably been told to write in a certain way because that's the view the paper is going to take until you're told different.)

I know not everyone wants in-depth, tactical analysis of every kick and run, but surely a relatively even-handed and, God forbid, honest opinion is something that even the most casual fan would like.

I can't understand this appointment at all. Despite the 18 month contract, I still expect a new manager by the end of next summer.

Anyone else getting that '93/'94 Ozzie feeling?

Oh, it was fun. However, it's amazing how "this is how we play" and "the (insert name of club here) way" gets overturned for "for God's sake defend!!!!" and "you don't know what you're doing".

Well, I've only gone and done it. I've bought Football Manager 2014.

Saw it for Ł20 in Sainsburys, then when I got home and installed it, found it was Ł17 in the Steam sale...

Evolution not revolution, as far as changes go, but it has Steam Workshop support and now an official in-game editor (which is Ł3.99). SI had better not start charging for transfer window changes.

There are some alternatives which are in fact free to play. For example, in terms of downloadable games, there is the New Star Soccer series, and for browser-based games, there is Soccer Manager (see also this discussion).

I've tried a few alternatives over the years but haven't found anything nearly as in-depth as Sports Interactive's offering. It's the perfect laptop game when you're delayed at an airport.

I'm still playing FM'10. I can't give it up! Just won another La Liga title, I've lost count how many that is now, but I think it's in the low 30's, but lost to Liverpool in the CL final. However, I took that as a moral victory, as they had 6 of my ex-players (that they'd unnerved and tapped up over the last 2-3 seasons) and the one goal in the game came after a double save. In short, I was going to lose regardless.

You think FM10 is old? Apparently there's still an active modding community for Champ Man 01-02, with regular transfer updates.

I used to play 01-02 on the Dublin - Holyhead ferry.

For a niche game which is basically a series of spreadsheets, FM2014 (and all the FMs before it) is the fifth most played game on Steam right now, just behind Skyrim and just ahead of Civ V.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Enough is Enough! MOYES OUT!

I'm still playing FM'10. I can't give it up! Just won another La Liga title, I've lost count how many that is now, but I think it's in the low 30's, but lost to Liverpool in the CL final. However, I took that as a moral victory, as they had 6 of my ex-players (that they'd unnerved and tapped up over the last 2-3 seasons) and the one goal in the game came after a double save. In short, I was going to lose regardless.
I bought both FM13 and 14 but never really played either, really don't like it / can't get into the games any more and I used to be addicted to. Probably mentioned it before but on FM12 I had a cracking save where I took Plymouth to world domination, like did 20+ seasons overall, won Champions League like 7 times or something.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Hehehe,I can't wait to see Matic play ...Honestly he is one of the best defensive mid,maybe even the best one.And yea Chelsea is wining BPL this year.