Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

chaq686
Machete Kills just hit on Mexico's theaters. I went to see it yesterday. ****ing rocks, dude. Everything was so funny. I laughed to dead, it ****ing broke me. I had a really good time. 10/10 I gave.

Also me and my friends watched some couple getting busy in the car with tinted windows.

Finished here. It's been fun.

. Great film, and another hit for Paul Thomas Anderson.This movie like Magnolia tells a compelling,intricate story about extremely flawed individuals. PTA manages to have levity and humor in his films alongside extremely dark topics and themes. He weaves from character to character in this film with grace, and by the end you feel like you really know these people.Boogie Nights is a great film.

. Great film, and another hit for Paul Thomas Anderson.This movie like Magnolia tells a compelling,intricate story about extremely flawed individuals. PTA manages to have levity and humor in his films alongside extremely dark topics and themes. He weaves from character to character in this film with grace, and by the end you feel like you really know these people.Boogie Nights is a great film.
Glad you enjoyed it; it's one of my favorites. It's because of Boogie Nights that I have made a point to watch PTA's other films, even if the subject matter is uninteresting to me. He really is an exceptional director.

Lord High Filmquisitor
My girlfriend is absolutely obsessed with this movie (her intro to creature features). It is pretty good, though.

I just rewatched Battle Royale, which really improves on the rewatch. The parts that felt silly on first viewing come off as pleasantly Kafkan and surreal the second time around. The deaths were creative, the acting very good and the characters very well written. Plus, what teacher doesn't want to kill a student for talking during class? 8/10

I was able to watch The Painted Veil last night, and I have to agree full-heartedly with a particular review of it that I read: though impeccably made on every level, it leaves you emotionally chilled. The acting, in particular, was excellent. The scenery was breath-taking. The problem was that the film consistantly left you at an emotional arm's length away from the characters. 7.5/10

Unregistered User

Scarface (1932)

Brilliant! I really liked Pacino's Scarface but this blew it out of the water. Definately stands the test of time and what a performance from Paul Muni.

9/10

Elysium 7/10

Philomena is a really good British film. It is based on a true story. It's about an Irish woman, Philomena Lee, who got pregnant when she was a teenager. She has been rejected by her family and sent to the convent. She's going in search of her son who had been taken away from her fifty years earlier.
It's a perfect mix of humor, drama and intelligence. The film makes you laugh, cry and makes you even angry. In short, a great humanist film.

The Purge
Very underwhelming experience. Could've been something truly great with such a concept but all the predictability and plot holes brings stupidity to a whole new level. Some pretty awesome moments though (and I really liked Ethan Hawke and Rhys Wakefield).
4/10

Jacob's Ladder. Umm i think it's a really good film, but I kinda wish i didn't know the ending before watching it. I give the film a
+, maybe even a
, I have to let it sink in for a bit. I think the movie excels at being extremely creepy,surreal,and disturbing. It's a psychological thriller, and most of the time you aren't sure what's "real" and "fake" just like the film's main character. It's definitely a really good movie.

That poster is terrifying.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

(500) Days Of Summer
I thought the movie was charming, despite having some flaws (clichés and whatnot).

Double Indemnity - 9/10

Really great movie, one that i can't wait to watch again. I can see it's influence on later movies, the manipulative 'damsel in distress' character must take large influence from Stanwycks performance. I know that type of character would have been used before in other movies and obviously the novel but her performance must be the most influential. One movie in particular i watched recently, Body Heat reminds me alot of this movie, Kathleen Turners character seems like a modern day Phyllis imo.

Quantum of Solace - 4/10

I loved Bond when i was younger but i was right to not watch it this long. I don't think anything was that bad, rather i'm sick of seeing essentially the same movie over and over.

Skyfall - 6.5/10

+. Terrific crime thriller, and easily one of the best films of the 90's. It features sleek,efficient direction and incredible action sequences. The movie brings a certain level of realism and weight to the gunfights and whatnot, you really feel immersed in the film's world. The performances are strong, the script is tight and the movie never feels boring or tedious. It moves along at a brisk,calculated pace. There are a few minor flaws though. There are some subplots that feel kind of underdeveloped or even left hanging entirely. It's not a big deal, due to the ambition and massive story of the film but it feels as if though maybe 30 minutes or so of the film were cut before release.Still, Heat is an excellent, thoroughly engaging and intelligent thriller.....they don't make em' like they used to.

+. Terrific crime thriller, and easily one of the best films of the 90's. It features sleek,efficient direction and incredible action sequences. The movie brings a certain level of realism and weight to the gunfights and whatnot, you really feel immersed in the film's world. The performances are strong, the script is tight and the movie never feels boring or tedious. It moves along at a brisk,calculated pace. There are a few minor flaws though. There are some subplots that feel kind of underdeveloped or even left hanging entirely. It's not a big deal, due to the ambition and massive story of the film but it feels as if though maybe 30 minutes or so of the film were cut before release.Still, Heat is an excellent, thoroughly engaging and intelligent thriller.....they don't make em' like they used to.

This sums up the entire film.

Yes, I've never watched the Star Wars movies. And yes, I disliked this one. Bad acting, bad script, great special effects though.

Miller's Crossing

Fine film, even if it was a little confusing (did anyone else find this?) with such a dense and intricate plot. Then again, unconventional is what the Coens were made for. Felt like some awesome, stylish moments every now and then (forest scene, tommy guns, etc.) loosely strung together by a complicated yet messy plot, but geez were those moments cool. I also wished there was more Steve Buscemi (he makes anything amazing) but that was a nice cameo I guess. Perhaps repeat viewings will clear this problem up for me and seeing as the Coen brothers are some of the best filmmakers in recent memory, even some of their worst films are better than other directors' bests.
3.5/5