Nausicaa: DVD & Blu-Ray Collection

Tools    

^ I've made it through two episodes now and still like Banshee but I know what you mean about the way he walks sometimes, rather amusing.

I just can't wait for Job to move to Banshee, he's fabulous and bitchy.

See, I hated him too. The phrase "trying too hard" came to mind, but I still don't know if it was the character or his performance. Whatever it was, it came across to me as cliched.

As you can probably tell, I really didn't care for Banshee.

^ I'll see what he's like once he gets more screen time but I do like him so far.

New additions:

The Wicker Man - Region B(Britain) - Steelbook Final Cut and Theatrical Cut editions. Original 70s film! not the remake.

Epic - Region B & C(France) - 3 disc Steelbook edition with a lenticular magnet cover on the front that can be removed.

Fright Night 2: New Blood - Region A(America) - Rated and Unrated editions of the film. I wouldn't have gone near this usually as it's suppose to be rather rubbish but I like Jaime Murray(Warehouse 13, Dexter) who plays the lead vampire in this so wanted to see it.

Curse of Chucky - Region Free(America) - Rated and Unrated editions and comes with a nice slipcover. This is one film in the Chucky series that I'm really looking forwards to, heard good things about this new one.

Nice selection of films I've got over the past week or so, most are a bulk buy from France:

Waking Madison - Region B(Germany) - Germany at the moment seems to be the only place that does this film in Blu-ray format, elsewhere it's on DVD only for some reason and I don't think there are even any release dates on either format here in Britain.

If I Were You - Region Free(America) - Fabulous comedy/drama film. I believe it's not available here so imported it off a trader.

Disconnect - Region A(America) - with slipcover. Managed to find it under £10. So bargin really and it's not out here in Britain yet.

To The Wonder - Region B(France) - Limited edition Blu-ray fold out pack with slipcover. I had it on DVD but sold that and decided to upgrade it to go with my other Terrence Malick films on Blu-ray.

Violet & Daisy - Region B(Germany) - Limited Collector's 2 disc edition digibook. It's got some gorgeous artwork on it. Can't wait to see this film.

The Call - Region B(France) - comes in a black coloured amaray box. I adore it when they release blu-rays in a different coloured box, goes well with the artwork.

Rampage - Region B(France) - Yes I know, it's an Uwe Boll film! but apparently this is one of his best films and it was recommended on here and elsewhere. It's not out on Blu-ray here so ordered it from another country and it comes in another lovely black amaray box.

Subway - Region A, B & C(France) - Come in special cardboard packaging.

And another from Luc Besson:

Nikita - Region A, B & C(France) - in the same kind of packaging. Love the artwork on this one.

Shadow Dancer - Region B(France) - Another one in a black box edition.

The Iceman - Region B(France) - With slipcover

The Stone Roses: Made of Stone - Region B(Britain) - 3 disc edition steelbook.

Halloween - Region B(Britain) - 35th Anniversary edition steelbook, it's a lovely embossed effect steelbook with a brand new transfer for the new release Blu-ray. I think America got a nice look digibook edition of this but it was awfully thin. Glad I went for the steelbook instead.

The Night of the Hunter - Region B(Britain)

The Fury - Region B(Britain) - The above two came out this month and both were a reasonable £13 for a new release especially from Arrow Video/Arrow Academy. So happy with these two buys.

Enter The Dragon - Region Free(Britain) - 40th Anniversary Edition with slipcover and art cards set. Bargin price of £7. It's still going for this price brand new on Amazon if anyone wants it.

Compulsion - Region 2(Britain)

Errors of the Human Body - Region B(Germany)

The Great Gatsby - Region B(France) - Ultimate edition with slipcover. I was going to go for the steelbook release here in Britain next month but during pre-order stages they changed the artwork and I cancelled it because I didn't like it. But happy with this edition, the gold artwork on the front is reflective so it's a nice effect.

^ Cheers. The only negative is the Blu-ray of Errors of the Human Body doesn't come with English subtitles... I assumed it would because it said there were English subtitles on the DVD version. So it's going to have to be the English audio dubbing when I watch it... yuck. German isn't my language, I studied it all through middle and high school and can barely remember it.

Got some more this week:

The Conjuring - Region Free(America) - It comes with a lenticular/3D cover, that's why it looks odd in the photo.

The Purge - Region Free(America) - Comes with a lovely slipcover. I got it from America because I preferred the artwork/colouring and I didn't like the lenticular/3D slipcover that we got here in Britain - and every one I looked at in the shops was damaged anyway.

The Heat - Region Free(America) - With slipcover.

Also, a television series I wanted to try - the first three series were quite cheap so went for them. So far I am really enjoying this series and heard it gets even better as it goes on.

The Good Wife(Series 1, 2 & 3) - Region 2(Britain) - Series 2 and 3 come with slipcovers.

The Good Wife was great. I watched the first two seasons and really enjoyed them. Then they moved it to More4 and I didn't know until season 3 was over. I've not bothered with it since, as I didn't want to've missed any. I'd like to catch up though, as it really was a good programme. I don't know if it gets better and better, but I certainly thought season 2 was better than the first, which I thought was very good.

Got three this week:

Pacific Rim - Region Free(Britain) - 3 disc steelbook edition. Watched this film last night and thought it was fabulous.

Modern Family(Series 1 & 2) - Region 2 - I've wanted to try this series for some time and found this box set for just £8 when out today, think that's a bargin.

Arrow(Series 1) - Region 2(Britain) - Another series I wanted to try.

The Good Wife was great. I watched the first two seasons and really enjoyed them.
I finished series 1 a few days ago and loved every minute of it. I hope Alan Cumming's character becomes a regular because I think he's fantastic in it. And I want more Kalinda and Lana who make a nice couple, just hope they are not using each other for information and that's it!

Some buys over the last week or so:

The World's End - Region Free(Britain) - Steelbook edition of this wonderful film, Hot Fuzz is still my favourite out of the trilogy but this came very close!

Wenecja/Venice - Region Free(Poland) - Managed to find this DVD with English subtitles off a trader.

Man of Steel - Region Free(America) - Comes with a gorgeous shiny embossed slipcover, it's similar to the British slipcover release but without the embossing and starry pattern effect. One of my favourite films of this year.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Region B(Britain) - This is the remake from the 70s. You can also get this release in steelbook form but with different artwork, I preferred this artwork so went with the amaray release instead.

Frances Ha - Region A(America) - Criterion collection Blu-ray/DVD dual format edition, this is the first of three that arrived over the weeks from the 50% off sale Barnes & Noble have for Criterion collection films.

Seconds - Region A(America) - Criterion collection edition.

The Uninvited - Region A(America) - Criterion collection edition.

I've got some more from the Criterion collection sale but they have yet to arrive.

These came today including one Criterion:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - Region B(Britain) - Steelbook edition.

Unit One/Rejseholdset(Series 1) - Region 2(Britain)

Fresh Meat - Region B(Germany) - Steelbook edition of this horror film from New Zealand that I've wanted to see for ages.

Tiny Furniture - Region A(America) - Criterion collection edition.

Army of Shadows - Region B(Britain) - This is out on Criterion but I think it's out of print now and goes for high prices, so went for the next best thing here in Britain called Studio Canal Collection, it comes in a digibook edition.

I'm looking forwards to it.

Got three today:

Only God Forgives - Region B(France) - it's a black amaray case in a gorgeous slipcover. Was going to go for the British steelbook release, Zavvi/Empire Magazine ran a competition for people to design the artwork for it and the winning artwork was terrible, so cancelled the steelbook.

The East - Region A & B(France) - with slipcover.

Dexter(Series 7) - Region 2(Britain) - with slipcover.

What I got over the last few weeks:

American Horror Story: Asylum(Series 2) - Region A, B & C(Britain) - with slipcover. I'm not that bothered about seeing the first series and have been told you don't have to sit through the first series to be able to follow this one.

The Lone Ranger - Region A, B & C(Britain) - A gorgeous steelbook edition. Absolutely fun film.

Rizzoli & Isles(series 3) - Region 2(Britain) - If you are in Britain, this is apparently only available from Amazon UK, no other shops sell it apparently as it's an Amazon exclusive.

Pawn Shop Chronicles - Region A(America) - Running Scared is a favourite film of mine and this is from the same director so can't wait to see it.

Wings, and The Ascent - Region A(America) - The last of my Criterion orders from the Barnes & Noble sale to come through, it's a DVD because it's not out on Blu-ray. It's two films in a set from the director Larisa Shepitko. Comes with a slipcover.

Modern Family(Series 3) - Region 1(America) - Got this in the 'Black Friday' sales in America online, brand new for only £4! bargin.

Kick-Ass 2 - Region Free(Britain) - Apparently this is quite hard to find now at a normal price due to it going out of print some places. I've now got both films in steelbook editions.

Revenge For Jolly! - Region B(Germany) - Steelbook edition.

The Good Wife(Series 4) - Region 2(Britain) - With slipcover.

Blancanieves - Region 2(Britain) - Collector's Edition with artcards.

The Croods - Region B(France) - Steelbook edition with a lenticular magnet that can be removed from the front of the steelbook. This is one of my favourite steelbooks in my collection now, adore the artwork.

Community(Series 3) - Region 2(Britain) - With slipcover.

The Following - Region Free(Britain) - With slipcover.

Au Revoir Les Enfants - Region A(America) - Criterion edition that I also got in the Barnes & Noble sale.

American Horror Story: Asylum(Series 2) - Region A, B & C(Britain) - with slipcover. I'm not that bothered about seeing the first series and have been told you don't have to sit through the first series to be able to follow this one.
You certainly don't, though some people like seeing actors and actresses from the first one in different roles in the second. Personally, after the first few episodes of season 2, I thought/felt very much as I did in season 1 and I didn't want to sit through that again. That, and I rarely like asylum/mental ward horror films. I will say that, despite that, I'm a little interested in seeing the third season, The Coven.

Modern Family(Series 3) - Region 1(America) - Got this in the 'Black Friday' sales in America online, brand new for only £4! bargin.
I still think you were ripped off.

The Following - Region Free(Britain) - With slipcover.
I'll be interested to see what you think of this. I really struggled with it, but kept going because of Kevin Bacon and the hope that Williamson would be able to do something. I think I've spoken about it before, but I'll leave it here for now and wait to see what you think.

Damn, what a collection. I am impressed by your Steelbooks. Yeah, I had no idea that people kept them in plastic sleeves.

Thank you Sexy, as for steelbooks I'm slowly going off them and films with slipcovers are taking over them. Just sick of getting damaged steelbooks arriving, so it has to be something really special now for me to get a steelbook, the last one I got was Fantasia that came through the post today, so from now on any steelbook releases I will be thinking hard about if to buy or not.

Got most of these a few weeks back, a mixture of buys and presents people got me over Christmas:

Vendetta - Region B(Britain) - With slipcover. Yes, I'm a fan of Danny Dyer and I like revenge films.

Terminator 2 - Region Free(South Korea) - It's a steelbook edition that comes with a lovely alternative artwork slipcover. I treated myself to this as a Christmas present to myself as it was a bit high in price and wanted to upgrade from the DVD. It went out of stock forever from one place and another place had it thankfully. It's suppose to be one of the best Blu-ray transfers in the world after the very expensive Japanese edition.

Very happy with this buy.

The Wrong Apartment - Region 2(Britain) - Comes in a red coloured DVD box with a slipcover. Never heard of this horror film before I saw it on the shelves in the supermarket and it will probably turn out to be a dodgy straight to DVD film but I liked the look of it, so will see. Plus it's got the fab Michael Ironside in.

Warehouse 13(Series 4) - Region 2 & 4(Britain) - Now have all the series available on DVD for one of my favourite television series.

Rebecca - Region A(America) - A favourite of mine from Alfred Hitchcock to add to my Alfred Hitchcock Blu-ray collection. This and Spellbound didn't come in the Hitchcock Blu-ray film collection that was released a year or so ago.

You're Next - Region B(France) - Can't stand the cheap artwork on the British release Blu-ray so decided to get it from France, it comes in a gorgeous black amaray box with the superior artwork on like the American release slipcover. Thought this horror film was fabulous.

Red 2 - Region B(France) - This comes in a steelbook edition exclusive to HMV here in Britain but didn't like it and same for the slipcover edition too, so went for the edition with a red amaray box from France. Liked the film but nowhere near as good as the first film.

Killing Season - Region B(Germany) - Don't believe it's out on Blu-ray here yet to so went for this edition because I wanted the black amaray box version. I have thing for coloured amaray boxes now.

Ikarie XB 1 - Region 2(Britain)

Hours - Region B(Germany)

Insidious: Chapter 2 - Region B(Britain) - With slipcover and the title on the front cover and spines is embossed. Enjoyed the first one, enjoyed this sequel more, excellent creepy sequel.

Damages(Series 4) - Region 2(Britain) - With slipcover. This was a bit ****** as I watched the first three series on BBC1 here but then they decided not to buy the rights to show the last two series... so didn't have the channel that series 4 and 5 were shown on, so been waiting for the DVD box sets to come down in price. Still got to get series 5.

The Apparition - Region B(Britain) - The DVD edition came with a lenticular slipcover that I was going to go with originally but the Blu-ray was the exact same price... but unfortunately it didn't come with the slipcover oddly.

Dexter(Series 8) - Region 2(Britain) - With slipcover. Now have all eight series on DVD, each with a slipcover so they look lovely on the shelf.

Heaven's Gate - Region B(Britain) - This is the 216 minute restored Director's cut 2 disc edition of the film, on Blu-ray for the first time I believe here in Britain. Comes with a slipcover.

Carrie - Region B(Germany) - It's the same artwork in most countries for the Blu-ray but I wanted the red amaray box... so went for the Germany edition and it was the cheapest at the time, comes with alternative artwork that you can use as the cover. This is the original 70s film. I've got the new adaptation coming from America in a few days with a gorgeous lenticular slipcover.

Fantasia - Region B(Britain) - Steelbook edition that has embossed artwork on the front of it. One of my favourite animations as a child, so can't wait to see it on Blu-ray.

Criminal Minds(Series 8) - Region 2(Britain) - Another favourite television series where I have every series avaliable now to complete the collection. Yet to see series 8 so can't wait to start it.

Breaking Bad(Series 3, 4, 5 & 6) - Region 2(Britain) - All with slipcovers. Thanks to the January sales(except for series 6, got that today), I managed to get all these cheap to complete the collection. Again, every single series has a slipcover, so all flows nice.

Bates Motel - Region Free(America) - This isn't out here until next month but it's been out in America for weeks so got it from there. Love this series, and it came with a embossed slipcover and artcards. Managed to get it cheap compared to most places off an Amazon trader in America.

Big Ass Spider - Region B(Germany) - Yep, the orange coloured amaray box... plus I prefer the artwork compared to the artwork we got here.

The Aviator - Region B(Germany) - Digipak with slipcover edition, got it for about £8 brand new from Germany, liked this film so looking forwards to seeing it again.

Bellflower - Region B(Germany) - Doesn't seem to be out here in Britain so got it somewhere else. Apparently this film was made with a $17,000 budget! that's impressive because it's rather good.

Black Christmas - Region B(Germany) - The original 70s film, one of my favourite horror films.

Spellbound - Region A(America) - Another one for the Alfred Hitchcock collection.

2 Guns - Region B(Britain) - An exclusive edition steelbook, a rather interesting design with a debossed title on the front.