Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Did they mop this floor with Dr. Pepper?!

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Chan-wook Park, 2002)

I really liked this movie. It was like a puzzle that needed to be figured out.

The Last House in the Woods 5/10

This could've been really decent if it was made a little better. There are some good, sick moments if that's your thing.

Catch Me If You Can

Fun stuff! Spielberg's best imo (not a huge fan tbh, but he's made some excellent films) and Leo is terrific as always, stole the show everytime. Tom Hanks wasn't far behind either and Christopher Walken as well, even if he doesn't have too much screen time. Very breezy and entertaining film that I'd definitely watch again.

4.5/5

Captain America

Into The Wild

Great movie. Wish there were more around like it. Just beautiful imagery, music and an overall feel good movie. Emile Hirst owned this movie too. Bright future ahead for the man.

9/10

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972)
Half and zero stars are usually reserved for something that you not only hated, but were offended by, is this the case?

Half and zero stars are usually reserved for something that you not only hated, but were offended by, is this the case?
In a nutshell, yes. I am extremely disappointed. I don't mind slow-paced movies at all (2001 is one of my all time favorites), but the execution was really poor in this film. I would never watch it again.

What about the execution did you hate so much?
Pretty much everything. The camera work was terrible, it never focused on Aguirre properly. Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now, for instance, that is how you see such a film through one character's eyes. Aguirre: Wrath of God is not a character study, it's not an entertaining film, and it's not a haunting/thought-provoking film either. It isn't even a beautiful film, and a film set in such locations should be. Aguirre is a mess.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Seventh Seal (1957)

for Aguirre? please elaborate.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
In a nutshell, yes. I am extremely disappointed. I don't mind slow-paced movies at all (2001 is one of my all time favorites), but the execution was really poor in this film. I would never watch it again.
This seems somewhat peculiar in the context of your recent appreciation of Solaris, which is intentionally slowly paced (and self conscious of it I think)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
for Aguirre? please elaborate.
See the post above yours. I think it sapped and impurified his precious bodily fluids.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I've only seen a couple of Herzog movies so far, Aguirre being one of them, and I can see reasons for hating them. He's unconventional and that can be hit or miss with people. I felt confused for the first half hour of Aguirre because it felt kind of weird I didn't really get the way the story was told. As with many directors, once I just accepted that Herzog was just telling a story his way, and stopped trying to understand it using conventional movies as reference points, I loved it.

Having seen Aguirre it made me go into Nosferatu with a completely open mind and I loved that also.

0.5/5 seems low for Aguirre but I can see how it would not connect with someone. I feel the same with Welles & Tarkovsky movies - although I don't rate them quite that low

Did they mop this floor with Dr. Pepper?!
I rated it 3.5 originally, but it got better every time i saw it
It was my first Chan-wook Park film. I'm planning on watching the rest of the trilogy in the near future.

It was my first Chan-wook Park film. I'm planning on watching the rest of the trilogy in the near future.
I thought Mr Vengeance was the weakest - but still good. Oldboy & Lady Vengeance are great. If you like them, Thirst is another Park film worth checking out.