Movies you love but your significant other hates

Tools    

Are You Feeling Good?
For me it's pretty much any Jack Nicholson film. I love Coo Coo's Nest and About Schmidt. She refuses to see Chinatown. I don't get it.

She also refused to see 28 Days Later with me, and I loved that one.

But then again she likes "Bounce".
3. Punch-Drunk Love
4. American Beauty
5. Pulp Fiction
6. Godfather (trilogy)
7. One Flew Over the Coo Coo's Nest
8. Moulin Rouge
9. Magnolia
10. Night of the Living Dead
11. Goodfellas
12. About Schmidt
13. Matrix
14. L.A. Confidential
15. Carnival of Souls
16. From Dusk Til Dawn
17. Super Troopers
18. Snatch
19. Royal Tenenbaums
20. One Hour Photo

I don’t have a significant other so I don’t have this problem… … but I like almost anything Jack is in… with the exception of As Good As It Gets which I really didn’t like at all… and I hated Bounce

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Not applicable now, but my ex-girlfriend and I rarely butted heads cinematically, though I imagine she'd have failed to appreciate some of my favorites had we sat down and watched them together. The only movies we watched and discussed were The Green Mile and Death to Smoochy, and we both enjoyed each of them.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974 - Sam Peckinpah) is really the only one she just plain doesn't "get" why I like it. And yet, she absolutely loves The Wild Bunch. In fact, one of our first real "dates" was going to a revival screening of The Wild Bunch together. Hard to believe, but that incredibly bloody movie done brung us together.

Jealous, gals? I thought so.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
My husband doesn't care for Gene Wilder or Mel Brooks movies, and I have a nostalgic fondness for those. I tried watching Young Frankenstein with him but he acted like he was having a root canal. How did I marry someone who doesn't like YF??

I adore Raising Arizona but it doesn't seem to gel with him the same way. Same with other faves of mine: What About Bob?, Arsenic and Old Lace, As Good As It Gets (sorry, Caitlyn, but I love that movie), Steel Magnolias (okay, this one I forgive him for--it's stranger to me that *I* like it). He's also bewildered about why I like the LOTR movies.

Oddly, we had many of our early dates at the movies, so it's funny that I'm just finding out how oddly different our movie tastes are. We do, though, agree on some flicks: The Godfather series, many Hitchcock films, Pulp Fiction, Fargo.

I couldn't beg, plead, or bribe, my ex to see Schindler's List. But that's not really your question. She used to look at me as if I were crazy while I laughed my head off watching Army of Darkness.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Back long long ago, I went to the movies with a boyfriend, There was a double on at the local cinema, I had seen them before and said how much I Liked them, They were, 'BLOOD FOR DRACULA' and 'FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN', after the movies were over he turned to me and said that I was a sick individual, I never saw him again.

Do you know my poetry?
Hello, I am Ezikiel, 3 movies I love were hated by many, the directors of these films were Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, and The Wachowski Brothers.These movies are Punch-Drunk Love, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Matrix Reloaded.First, Punch-Drunk Love is a good love story, not a corny one, so many people thought it was gonna be a silly Sandler film, second, The Royal Tenenbaums, a great cast, a great story, yet people find it boring, and The Matrix Reloaded, one of the best action movies ever, people hated it for what, the non-ending, oh please, these 3 films are classics, and that's my opinion!

A significant ex absolutely hated Fright Night, while I thought it was great... certainly made me chuckle. The other one was Tremors.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Ah, Tremors is a cult classic! Great fun to watch on a Sunday afternoon! Hilarious, too, in its own way.

And The Royal Tenenbaums is underrated, although a teensy bit long. I loved it. Then again, I adored Rushmore and this has the same feel, for obvious reasons. Everyone underacts so subtly, so sublimely in both these movies that they're a joy to watch.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Austruck
He's also bewildered about why I like the LOTR movies.
Linda...my husband is the same. He didn't care for the first LOTR: FOTR and I loved it. He didn't want to see The Two Towers so I went to see it by myself.

There are alot of movies we don't see eye to eye on...

Period movies like Sense and Sensibilty...I usually either rent for myself or go out with the girls to see.

Non-Hollywood/Foreign Films...He's only watched two with me and fell asleep both times. Now I can't even talk him into at least sitting down and falling asleep through one.

Anime movies....not that I watch alot...but he can't even stand watching one with the kids.

Oooo...one type of comedy I've never cared for but he always belly laughed through are the Three Stooges shorts.

We usually agree on most comedies, romantic comedies, suspense, dramas and most action.

Didn't see it.
My wife doesn't like any movie where a child dies (ours did) or is mistreated. Unfortunately, that rules out a lot of good movies.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
So many heart warming tales..........

No Way Out

She hates Costner. I can't remember if she likes any movie with him in it or not, but definately not this one.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Period movies like Sense and Sensibilty...I usually either rent for myself or go out with the girls to see.

Non-Hollywood/Foreign Films...He's only watched two with me and fell asleep both times. Now I can't even talk him into at least sitting down and falling asleep through one.

Anime movies....not that I watch alot...but he can't even stand watching one with the kids.
Ditto, ditto, and ditto. The T-roy calls anything that involves women in long dresses or meaningful looks from across the room "Those Movies." He's not a big fan of romantic flicks in general.

And he thinks anime is mostly just ridiculous--not to mention that he hates the very word "anime." "It's animation," he says.

He actually loves foreign films, but he doesn't read very fast and he hates anything dubbed that isn't of the chop-socky. So those are generally out.

He can't understand my love of shlock horror, romantic comedy, British humor (aside from Monty Python), musicals, most sci-fi, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer (both the show and the movie). Our tastes when it comes to drama... well, sometimes they mesh and sometimes they don't.

See, what he is is one picky sumbitch. However, I've gotten him on a few that he swore up and down that he would hate, most notably About a Boy (Hugh Grant's many appearances in Those Movies were a red flag, but he ended up loving the movie), In the Company of Men (someone didn't want to read the back of the display box, and so had the completely wrong idea about the movie), Jerry Maguire (we even had a wager on this one: I bet him a twelve-pack of beer that he would love it if he ever gave it a shot, and I won ), and Guys and Dolls (although he was disappointed that it didn't deal more with playing the ponies).

I also pretty much single-handedly got him into Westerns. Score one for the woman. So we are in agreement on those, mob movies (most anything with violence and/or guns, actually--our first "date" was going to see Pulp Fiction), stupid and smart comedies, and documentaries.

On a side note: we're actually planning on watching The Wild Bunch soon, as both of us have yet to see it.

I absolutely love the movie Quills, but my boyfriend will never watch it witrh me, he never will give it a chance and is too stubborn to, he read the back and thinks it is going to be some big love story when it deifnietly is not when you watch the movie, i mean come on it's about marquis de sade.

Messenger from Hades' Gate
I absolutely think that the 2000 version of House on Haunted Hill was perfect! It scared that crap out of me when I first saw it, it still gave me chills when I watched it last night around midnight. My girlfriend hates that movie, oddly, for the same reasons that I like it. Oh well, she owns it (Don't ask me why)! In any case, I'm constantly borrowing it from her.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by cradle
I absolutely love the movie Quills, but my boyfriend will never watch it witrh me, he never will give it a chance and is too stubborn to, he read the back and thinks it is going to be some big love story when it deifnietly is not when you watch the movie, i mean come on it's about marquis de sade.
What a wonderful movie! Force him to! Great characters, story, etc. Wonderful....(some movies deal well with sadism, others don't....this is a good example of a good film, while House of 1000 Corpses is sadist trash)

(My hatred for House of 1000 Corpses knows no bounds!!! )

Welcome to the forum by the way!

I'm hearty, dammit!
Somehow my wife doesn't understand how I can have watched History of the World Part I 50+ times. She also doesn't understand my slavish dedication to Conan the Barbarian.

Looking over these statements, I realize I am lucky to be married at all...

"Mmmm...sacrilicious..."

Originally Posted by chunkybeefstyle
Somehow my wife doesn't understand how I can have watched History of the World Part I 50+ times. She also doesn't understand my slavish dedication to Conan the Barbarian.

Looking over these statements, I realize I am lucky to be married at all...