The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Sleeping Dogs keeps crashing on my PC now, really weird. It's either the most recent game patch or the latest GPU drivers because nothing else has changed.

The Steam Box is going to be really interesting as to how Valve manage to pull it off. I've been experimenting with a small(ish) second PC sitting under my TV as a media centre/games machine and originally wanted to use Linux, which the Steam Box will have.

About 15% of my Steam library runs on Linux and drivers are a complete pain to both source and install. I ended up buying a cheap XP disc - Everything now runs but Steam Big Picture mode doesn't. Gah!

Otherwise, I was pretty impressed. The PC only really has a decent GPU - my old 560ti - with an old AMD 6000+ dual core, 4GB of DDR2 RAM and an ancient SATA1 hard drive. I'm getting excellent performance in Skyrim on High at 1080p with about 30 mods. No graphics ones though.

there's a frog in my snake oil
To cut a lot of anecdotes short:

GTA V,

--

T, as an article I read said: Where the inquisitive PC crowd head, many will follow. Looks like an interesting pitch, will be fun to see what grows

Yeah, I'd hang around to rave about GTA 5 but I'm too busy playing GTA 5. Besides... who would bother reading my GTA 5 review when they could be playing GTA 5 instead?
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Yeah, I'd hang around to rave about GTA 5 but I'm too busy playing GTA 5. Besides... who would bother reading my GTA 5 review when they could be playing GTA 5 instead?
GTA 5 for life. I'm close to beating it. :P

Don't Starve is ace!

It's like Minecraft crossed with Miasmata and from the guys who made Mark of The Ninja.

I also bought their new game, Incognita, which is sooo pre-Alpha it's hidden on Steam (you buy from the devs' website and get a Steam code, otherwise it doesn't show up on the Store) and won't even get an Early Access release for a while yet.

The bones, though, of Incognita are excellent. There's only one level so far but think Shadowrun Returns crossed with spies. Loads of spies.

Seeing as it's the same guy doing the videos I posted, what do people think of TotalBiscuit? I didn't watch him for ages because I'd had some bad reports but he's honestly pretty good once you get past the persona - There are times when the guy almost goes full Clarkson, and that's, in the words of Carl Douglas, a little bit frightening...

A system of cells interlinked
I bought GTAV last Tuesday and I still have less than 5 hours played. *Shrugs"

I still only have two characters unlocked and haven't really done much of anything so far. I went to Maine over the weekend for some chillin by the campfire, and yesterday when I got home, it was time for some football and then Breaking Bad! I did sneak onj for a quick Franklin mission at half-time, though!

Now, with all that stuff done for the week, I plan on actually starting to play this game for really real tonight. I just haven't had time to play!

I'm about four hours into Dishonored. Cool stuff! I so rarely like to replay games, but I'm almost certainly going to have to make an exception for this one. It's spinning my head because I like to explore every option the first time, which is all but impossible here. It's like the multiverse of video games, where I'm just going to keep saving and reloading and doing things differently.

Really like the art style, too. A very cool, audacious game, and I'm still just on the first "real" mission.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
I just started planning the first heist in GTA V. Really neat setup they have going for the heists, with all the setup, the people you hire, all that kind of stuff. Of course, that's just one of the cool things GTA V has to offer. The game is much better than I thought it would be. I came out of GTA IV with a bad taste in my mouth because there were some gameplay aspects that bugged the crap out of me. Not to mention I hated half the cast (especially Roman Bellic). But this game is miles better. The cars control better, the cover system isn't as awkward, and the shooting feels more natural. All of the side activities could be games themselves, they're that detailed. Diving underwater was awesome the first time I went. I have yet to fully meet Trevor, but something tells me I'm gonna like him just from the trailers alone. In other words, this non-GTA fan has fallen for the hype in GTA V, and I'm glad I did.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I have been playing GTAV when I can (as the kids still use the 360) Im loving the game fairplay. I have just been doing some missions with Trevor. Everytime I go to do something on there, I get sidetracked by something else.

I'm about four hours into Dishonored. Cool stuff! I so rarely like to replay games, but I'm almost certainly going to have to make an exception for this one. It's spinning my head because I like to explore every option the first time, which is all but impossible here. It's like the multiverse of video games, where I'm just going to keep saving and reloading and doing things differently.

Really like the art style, too. A very cool, audacious game, and I'm still just on the first "real" mission.
It's a game that rewards you taking your time and exploring. Keep meaning to start the DLCs but something else always crops up. I hope Arkane keep the same broad format for their next game because Dishonored is Stabby Stealth done perfectly.

Love the art style (from the guy who did Half Life 2 apparently), love the setting (sucker for Steampunk anyway but this is exceptional), love the gameplay ... when you're stealthy. Wasn't so hot on resolving problems violently but like the fact that you're never railroaded into a particular style and can mix and match as the situation warrants.

Killing is more fun. Not killing is more satisfying.

God, other people's Trevors are def scarier than mine...

(And normally surrounded by a select arrangement of corpses )

{Still at work so viewing vicariously. My damn stocks have plummeted dammit! Watch out for the social pix too, they're a bit spoilery. I think I saw Jesus in there!}

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wow, Golgot, this character looks like a creepy pedophile and it seems he's saying: "Come here children! Let me embrace you!". Scary.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I think he looks like Sindy having let herself go. The man is like a Rorschach test

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
So I met Trevor in GTA V. He kinda reminds me of the unholy love child of Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino in his mannerisms. His personality, however, is that of a drugged-up sociopath who has no limit to his insanity. I love this guy. He's entertaining to say the least, even if he performs some morally bankrupt actions all the time. I think he's meant to be a symbol though. I think this was the creators' way of saying "This is what the media thinks GTA players are like. Do you know anybody like that in real life, at all?" Plus he has some of the best lines I've heard anywhere.

In the middle of setting up the first heist. Still no Trevor yet. I spent some time at the range with Franklin, and got several golds and the rest silver for most weapons. Then I did a race to open up the race areas in LS. Oh no, I got a sport bike...There went the rest of my play time as I dorked around looking for jumps and just having fun zipping around on the bike...

*EDIT*

@mm777 yep reckon Trevor is def the archetypally amoral end of GTA, the one who does everything, partially just because it can be done. He is evilly charismatic with it too tho, you're right. Loved a line today: 'That sounds like someone strangling a clarinetist. And I speak from experience.'

@Seds I found a sweet scattering of jumps (and some awful cars) on the wee industrial islands east of the airport. Reckon there's prob some mission based there, but a fun one to look in on if you're near

---

Right, apologies for the giant bloggish enteries, but I can't keep the anecdotes in....

---

Being Trevor is expensive...

My hospital bills are really mounting!

Embracing the whole 'he is carnage' thing, I've been driving exclusively on the left (at first because I thought it boosted his skill, but now because I've decided he has an English aunt, and is doing it in her honour )

But even when he's kicking back, trouble seems to come looking...

Two deadly acts before breakfast
  • Helicoptered up Mount Chiliad to chill in a cable car. Landed neatly on a slope, got distracted by the peak, then took one of the dirtbikes to drive the 10ft back down. Missed the path. Slid inexorably down the entire fricking mountain, using the immortality abil to survive the biggest tumbles. Finally reached a slope where I could stand at the very foot of the mountain, with only a smudge of health left. Edged forward. Slipped off, fell five feet, & died

• Saw a sail boat gliding gracefully in the distance. Went to pull out the sniper rifle to get a better look, but instead fired blind into the ocean from my bike by mistake. A security guard loitering by a wall took issue, so I gun the bike straight at him. I miss the guard, but not the wall. The firefight does not go well. AND I DIDN'T EVEN WANT A FIGHT!

I still haven't opened any of that up yet! Not only have I not left the city, I have barely left each players respective neighborhoods. I am starting to feel like i have the inner city down pretty well, as far as getting around in concerned. I also had to go ride the Ferris Wheel and the Roller Coaster, just because they were there!

That said, I HAVE set out to go exploring a couple of times, but I never make it very far, as I get side-tracked by a "?" or store I need to rob. I have robbed many stores already, which has helped Franklin get a bit of cash to play with. Lisa has done most of the Michael stuff, while I hang around the old hood with Franklin. We will finish the heist this evening and perhaps open up Trevor, maybe?