Jodie Foster
Matthew McConaughey
James Woods
Tom Skerritt
William Fichtner
John Hurt

Contact

++

Plot - Encouraged by her father at a young age, Dr Ellie Arroway (Foster) has developed a life-long fascination with the possibility of there being alien life somewhere out there in the universe. Following years of fruitless searching Ellie stumbles upon an intelligent signal being broadcast from outer space. When Ellie and her fellow scientists decipher the message within the broadcast they find themselves with blueprints to build some kind of machine which they believe will allow for galactic travel. These revelations prompt vastly differing opinions amongst humanity, in particular pitting the realms of science against religion. This is mirrored in the relationship and potential romance between the atheistic Arroway and Palmer Joss (McConaughey), a renowned Christian philosopher who becomes part of the group that will decide who gets the change to go into space and meet the alien race. Dr Arroway is one of those in the running, but her lack of religious faith may prove a stumbling block. And it's not the only one that the project faces.

I'm aware that this film seems to generate quite a lot of negative opinions in people, and while I can perhaps understand them I've got to say that I actually really enjoyed Contact. It takes the classic set-up of making first contact with an alien species and treats it in an intelligent and detailed manner, whereas commonly you would expect the likes of Keanu Reeves or Bruce Willis to be sent to meet the aliens. Throughout the film we never actually bear witness to any aliens, well apart from one who takes on human form, and while it may disappoint some sci-fi fans I actually find it quite fitting as this is not so much a film about alien lifeforms as it is about humanity. In fact it's probably amongst the most realistic depictions you will ever see in terms of the response of the world to such an event. It details how even with this most incredible of events, the most important in the history of humanity, it would get bogged down in politics. It would all be tied up in politics and posturing between nations, and humanity would be split in its reaction. I loved the sequence that depicted the circus that springs up outside the facility where the machine is being constructed; with thousands of people camping out it's a glorious mix of alien-welcoming nutters dressed up like aliens from 1950s B-movies, Nazis, religious zealots, an Elvis impersonator, a choir singing a song in praise of the aliens, lots of trailer trash and even a company offering insurance against UFO abduction. It is all witnessed by the highly bemused Foster. Obviously the main thrust of the film in terms of themes is one of the biggest and oldest of them all, science versus religion. It takes the time to pose and explore many questions that theme encompasses; are we alone in the universe? What are the implications if we aren't? What would it mean to the notion of a God? If we made contact with a civilization vastly advanced of our own, would they come in peace? All of those questions and more and tackled in an intelligent and thought-provoking fashion. While Zemeckis' handling of the film and the narrative of building and launching the machine make sure that we don't get bogged down in all this philosophising.

For the majority of the film I found Jodie Foster to be a solid lead but nothing all that noteworthy. However I felt that she really came into her own down the closing stretch. As soon as her character is allowed into the machine and to fulfil her dreams I thought she was excellent. I was particularly taken with her efforts whilst sitting in the machine waiting for it to be initiated. She displays a terrific mix of pain and fear at what she is going through and what lies ahead, but also a real determination that she is not going to let this opportunity pass her by. On the verge of tears and with her voice cracking she is able to utter through gritted teeth over and over again that “I'm ok to go.” I thought it was a great piece of acting and a level she kept up through the rest of the film. Her sense of both terror and sheer wonder as she is being traversed across the universe through the system of wormholes and at meeting the alien work perfectly. Her character lost both of her parents at a very young age and she seems to have a real fear of commitment, she appears to be scared to get close to anyone which is perhaps where her fascination with aliens comes from. After all why not dedicate your life to trying to communicate with someone who may not exist, and even if they do the odds of doing so are astronomical. Foster shows this through a touching sense of naivety and fear when it comes to relating to other characters, particularly the character played by Matthew McConaughey. Speaking of which...

Matthew McConaughey fell rather flat but in fairness to him that was partly down to the character he was saddled with. Employing his fallback surfer dude type persona he just feels complete out of place and at no point was I convinced that he was this deeply religious theologian and philosopher deemed important enough to be an aide to the President. Now as to who you blame for the style of performance he puts in I guess that will depend on your personal feelings. Is it the fault of whoever had final say in casting him in the first place? Is it McConaughey's fault for employing such a style? Or should Zemeckis identify it as a problem and suggest a different approach? Whatever the case it just never really worked for me. Tom Skerritt gets a lot of mileage out of his character, the closest that we get to a villain in the film. Portraying David Drumlin, a government scientist and scientific aide to the President, he is a despicable little slimeball; it's a while since I've hated someone quite as much. The reason for that is he is not an over-the-top villain; he's hateful because he is all too human. The majority of us don't know serial killers or psychotic murderers (well at least I'm hoping that's the case) but we probably all know someone like Drumlin; someone who lies, manipulates, backstabs and steals credit and fame they do not deserve. James Woods succeeds in similar fashion as National Security Advisor Michael Kits; a real bureaucratic piece of s*it! Both characters may be rather one-dimensional creations but Woods and Skerritt make the absolute most of them.
Film Trivia Snippets - The film's opening features an impressive pullback scene which starts on Earth and zooms out past countless planets and galaxies. To achieve this sequence took over 117,000 hours of computer rendering to create the CGI required. The servers crashed more than 25 times during the process, while the longest render time for a single frame was over 18 hours. Some of the film's visual effects where actually done by Peter Jackson as a way of repaying Robert Zemeckis for executive-producing Jackson's film, The Frighteners. /// At one point during the film, once Ellie has been selected to go into space, she is offered a suicide pill for the trip in case something goes wrong. The film posits that such pills were offered to all astronauts on NASA missions in case they were unable to return to Earth. This is a claim lifted from Carl Sagan's novel. However former astronaut Jim Lovell, commander of the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission, disputes this claim. /// The film has a unique holding in fashion circles. It was the last movie ever seen by the famous Italian fashion designer Gianni Versace. He was shot and killed mere hours following the screening. /// As I mentioned earlier at one point in the film we see a company offering 'UFO Abduction Insurance.' The banner advertising the service was actually taken from a real company which offers such insurance. Warner Bros. Paid the company to use their novel idea in the movie.
In mainstream terms is there a director out there who has made more great films without getting a great degree of recognition than Robert Zemeckis? I have to admit that in the past I was one of those people not giving him the respect he deserved. It was only when I put together my list of favourite films that I realised, “hey this guy has made a lot of movies I love.” The Back to the Future trilogy, Cast Away. Forrest Gump, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Romancing the Stone etc - The man really does have a great filmography to put on his CV. So why exactly does he not have the same standing that many of his films enjoy? Perhaps it's the fact that he doesn't have a distinctive style that links his films like a Terry Gilliam, a John Woo or a Tim Burton. Perhaps it's that he's not got a identifiable persona. You don't see his face in magazines, you don't see him on chat shows etc. Whereas there are numerous directors that would be instantly recognisable to many people, not just films buffs (Tarantino, Spielberg, Scorsese, Hitchcock, Peter Jackson etc) I think most would struggle to identify Zemeckis. I'd like to think that if I was shown a picture of him I may recognise him but right now I can't honestly picture his face. He's a great storyteller and a man with an eye for a iconic shot.

He's also always been one to embrace new technology and the advances in special effects, but the most admirable aspect has been how he has employed it, usually using it only to advance and aid the story instead of overwhelming it as so many directors do. And it's a similar case here in Contact. The most impressive aspect of his direction here in my eyes was his handling of the special effects. There are used very minimally throughout the film but when they are they are excellent and used intelligently. As with Foster's performance the special effects really come to the fore as the film approaches its conclusion. The huge machine that is built based on the specifications provided by the aliens is a great design and it is beautifully realised by the effects, both in design and when in operation. Following that, the effects also do a great job at creating the incredible journey that Foster's Arroway goes on; a thrilling and disorientating ride. The CGI also creates a real shock in the vividly realised terrorist attack upon the machine. Although to be fair to the film it also employs the special effects to provide an astonishing zoomout at the film's beginning, starting on Earth and pulling out back past planets and out into the cosmos, through countless galaxies and solar systems. The point of this scene is that we are following the path of the radio broadcasts which have been sent out from Earth over the years, and as such we get a series of broadcasts playing as the background noise. It's a great opening scene, not even ruined by the inclusion of the Spice Girls! Oh and in a move similar to Zemeckis' Forrest Gump, special effects were also employed to digitally meld footage of the actors and President Clinton together so that it looked like they were interacting.

It's certainly not a perfect film by any means. As I already laid out earlier on, it has a few rather one-dimensional characters and the Matthew McConaughey character just never clicks. And the romance that is played out by McConaughey and Foster's characters feels very forced, coming across like one of the film's only adherences to the staples of a typical big budget flick. In addition to that there are a few other faults to be found. Contact has a running time of nigh on two and a half hours, so it's a long film and at times it does feel it. There are stretches where little happens and you may find your patience being tested but there are developments which keep the level of intrigue bubbling over (such as the terrorist angle) and I certainly felt like it had all been worth it thanks to the last 45 minutes or so which really won me over. There are also numerous occasions throughout the film where I didn't feel like the passage of time had been all that clearly defined. I was frequently unsure as to how long the political discussions had been going on for, how long it took to build the machine etc. I'm sure that some people will also find the film rather emotionally manipulative, maudlin even, and I can see that but in the end it proved very effective for me, creating a touching and emotional pay-off.

Conclusion - Contact may still offer the audience terrific special effects and some excellent set-pieces, but it has a lot more to offer than your typical sci-fi film of this nature; an enlightened and astute look at humanity, the need for faith in some people and the curiousity that humanity has about our wider universe. With a resolute performance from Foster and fine storytelling from Zemeckis I found this to be a very satisfying experience.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Good review JD. I like Contact, but it feels like it's really building up to something special and never quite realises that potential.

Not even a mention of John Hurt as the mythical John Hadden, master engineer. I love all the scenes with him the most.

Your right about the effects, it's really something when the big machine gets going.

Great reviews. And yeah, Gattaca is tremendous. Odd bit of trivia, about the text at the end. Great sentiment, but that would've been a clumsy way to present it. I'd like to have seen more of that kind of thing in the film itself, to be honest. They touch on it very briefly with the six-fingered pianist, but they don't drive it home. I suppose on some level I should just appreciate the subtlety there, though.

On the outside looking in.
I've not posted a new review for a little while for one reason or another, so to make it up to you all here's a double bill. First up is the last of my current run of action films, another Stallone film and another personal favourite (or guilty pleasure however you want to term it)

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Renny Harlin

Written by
Michael France
Sylvester Stallone

Starring
Sylvester Stallone
John Lithgow
Michael Rooker
Janine Turner
Rex Linn

Cliffhanger

+

Plot - Eric Qualen (Lithgow) is a ruthless criminal who has constructed an elaborate plan to hijack a United States Treasury airplane in mid-air and steal the $100 million bounty they are transferring. The operation is botched however and the money falls to the ground below, scattered across the foreboding Rocky Mountains. With the ability to track the cases which hold the money however it still seems like a sure win for Qualen and his gang of henchmen. After all, all that's standing between them and their haul are some measly mountain climbers. These climbers however are amongst the most skilled in the world, and they have the courage to match it. Gabe Walker (Stallone), Hal Tucker (Rooker) and Jessie Deighan (Turner) are in no mood to let the criminals get away with their plan so a frantic race to locate the money begins.

So far as part of my move musings I've done reviews of Die Hard on a cruise ship (Speed 2), Die Hard on a warship (Under Siege), Die Hard in a hockey stadium (Sudden Death) and probably some others I'm forgetting. Plus I also reviewed the original granddaddy of all of them; Die Hard itself. Now we come to perhaps the most ambitious of all the Die Hard clones that have been relentlessly churned out over the years; Die Hard on a mountain. While all of those films relied on containing the hero and the action within a single claustrophobic setting, Cliffhanger thrives on opening its world up, setting its sprawling action across the epic and wild expanse of the Rocky Mountains. As the end credits begin to roll the final image that we see is of those mountains themselves, and that feels like a very appropriate end as in many ways that setting becomes a star in its own right, perhaps even the star of the movie. It provides the film with some stunning scenery and vistas as its backdrop which means it's always interesting to look at. While its setting was the Colorado Rockies that isn't where Cliffhanger was actually filmed, it was instead filmed in the Cortina d'Ampezzo-Dolomites mountains in Italy because of their remarkable similarity to the Rockies. Captured by Alex Thomson's cinematographic eye the scenery just adds another layer of interest to the film; so scenes that we've seen countless times before in action films feel fresh thanks to the locations they are based in. It also creates

To really make the grade as an action film what you clearly need is some great action, pure and simple. And Cliffhanger certainly delivers. It both opens and closes on a high note with two great set-pieces and keeps the action flowing in between. In the opening scene Stallone's Gabe attempts to rescue his friend Hal and Hal's girlfriend, Sarah, who have become stranded high in the moutains after Hal injured his knee. After winching Hal to safety Gabe attempts to do the same for Sarah, but with disastrous results. Her harness breaks and she is left dangling above a massive chasm and certain death. Disregarding Hal's advice Gabe goes out onto the line in an attempt to save her but she slips from his grasp and falls into oblivion. The scene actually acts as a bit of a surprise. I mean this is Sylvester motherf*cking Stallone!!! He's the heroic dude who always saves the day, he's not going to let her fall is he? I mean there's no way, he's going to pull her up and....oh s*it she fell! And that vulnerable thread actually runs throughout the film. This isn't the type of character that Stallone or his action counterparts would play all that often; he's no tough-as-nails cop, no bad-ass soldier. He may be a tough, rugged mountain climber but he is also very human and is left completely shaken by the accident. It gives the character just a little bit more for Stallone to work with. And as a big fan of the man I think that he does a great job. Oh and as a little aside to that great opening set-piece, it's a scene which is hilariously spoofed by Jim Carrey and a racoon in Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.

Cliffhanger also features a series of rather awesome deaths which befall the villainous characters. These include Stallone riding one of the bad guys like a sled down the mountain (resulting in vicious ice burns down the guy's face) before depositing him over the cliff, the giant fireball that eventually claims Qualen and Qualen's despicable, heartless sacrificing of his own lover. And then there is the best death scene, one of my favourites throughout all of cinema actually. Having fallen down a crevice in the moutain Stallone finds himself getting his ass kicked by Kynette, one of the villain's henchmen. Seemingly at Kynette's mercy Stallone all of a sudden grabs Kynette by the family jewels and crushes them with his bare hands! He then hoists him up into the air and body presses him into the cave's roof, causing a stalactite to puncture through his body.

As anyone who saw the fourth season of Dexter will be able to attest to John Lithgow makes for one terrific villain. Although here he is in more hammy, outlandish form than the quietly chilling way he played the Trinity Killer. He is just delightfully smarmy as Eric Qualen, smirking and sneering his way through the film. The man just has a face for evil. With hardly any effort at all it just takes on this natural look of pure disdain, giving his character this real sense of superiority as if he is disgusted to be having to share the same planet as the rest of us. And as is fitting for a villain in a 90s action film Lithgow employs an English accent. When it came to action films, the 80s and 90s were a time where just about every single villain came with an accent, typically from one of three camps. They were either English (Last Action Hero, Gone in 60 Seconds, Tomorrow Never Dies, The Lion King etc), German (Die Hard, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Rocketeer) or Russian (Air Force One, Red Dawn, First Blood Part 2, Top Gun, Rambo 3, Rocky IV, Red Heat, Hunt for Red October, Goldeneye etc etc. Man the Russians had a really tough time of it! ).

Backing him up in the villain stakes is a fun performance from Rex Linn as Richard Travers, the dirty US Treasury agent who hooks up with Qualen and orchestrates the theft. The only previous work that I would really associate him with would be as the police officer on CSI: Miami so it was nice to see him playing a much nastier a*shole character. And even though he's not playing a villainous character Michael Rooker also gets a lot of traction out of clashing with Stallone. Rooker played Hal Tucker, a fellow mountain climber and previously a close friend of Gabe's. Following the death of Sarah he blames Gabe and from then on Rooker plays Hal with a great deal of intensity and a real bitter fury towards Gave. The only real disappointment in the cast is Janine Turner as Jessie, the supposed love interest of Stallone's Gabe even if I never really felt it, but in her defence a large part of that is down to the underwhelming character she is lumbered with.

One thing that really adds to the thrill of the film and how much the audience becomes invested in the story and its characters is how genuine much of it clearly is. While it did employ a series of cinematic tricks such as CGI, miniatures, matte paintings and even a motorised Sylvester Stallone pippet to impressive use, for the most part this is principal effects at work. These are real people that you're seeing climbing on that mountain, including the actors themselves on a number of occasions climbing the mountains and hanging over cliffs and voids. And when it's not them you've got a series of the world's best mountain climbers acting as their stunt doubles, meaning that we get some fantastic examples of mountain climbing. Although that's not the only piece of stunt work to catch the eye. The scene that depicts the attempted theft from the Treasury plane is insane. The plane is hijacked mid-flight and a line connecting it to another plane is put in place. The Travers character then uses the line to transfer from one plane to another in mid-air, a feat that was actually achieved through principal means, no CGI. Stuntman Simon Crane performed the stunt for real at 15,000 feet without even any safety devices and was paid $1 million to do so; and in my eyes he earned every penny. And while Cliffhanger was filmed in Italy this scene was actually filmed back in America as performing such a stunt was illegal in Europe. As a result of this stunt Cliffhanger resides in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the costliest aerial stunt ever performed. And Sylvester Stallone is to thank for making it happen. The insurance company that were underwriting the film refused to insure anyone to perform the stunt, so Stallone offered to have his salary cut to pay for the stunt. And because of the extreme danger involved, the stunt was only performed once.

Conclusion - Like the large majority of Stallone's back catalogue, Cliffhanger was never exactly going to trouble the big award ceremonies or be a darling of the critics. Also like the large majority of his films however, Cliffhanger is a whole load of fun. It's got some exciting action, a deliciously evil villain in Lithgow and is actually quite a funny and witty excursion on occasion.
CLIFFHANGER is a lot of fun, but the first fifteen minutes are so exciting and tension-filled that the remaining hour-and-a-half is underwhelming by comparison.

Oh Contact, just rewatched it it is in my collection

Although I love action movies not a fan of Cliffhanger not in my collection

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Which is strange since I love Jodie Foster.
Huh......So you're obsessed with Jodie Foster - I know you've said love but I've chosen to read it as obsessed!

So you're obsessed with Jodie Foster; you've grown up in Texas; going by your username you like your guns; and going by your avi and user title you're obsessed with Taxi Driver.

You're not John Hinckley are you?

Huh......So you're obsessed with Jodie Foster - I know you've said love but I've chosen to read it as obsessed!

So you're obsessed with Jodie Foster; you've grown up in Texas; going by your username you like your guns; and going by your avi and user title you're obsessed with Taxi Driver.

You're not John Hinckley are you?
LMAO! WELL PLAYED SIR! No just a man who loves the cinema as much as the Second Amendment. And I have no intention of trying to impress Jodie Foster. But my plans to sweep Rosario Dawson off her feet is going according to plan.

I went to the movies reluctantly to see Contact for my wife, and ended up liking it.

Murder in the First was a really good movie and Cliffhanger is awesome.

Thought it was about time I started working through some of my backlog of reviews; reviews that have been sitting around for weeks or months even.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Sam Raimi

Written by
David Koepp

Starring
Tobey Maguire
Kirsten Dunst
Willem Dafoe
James Franco
Rosemary Harris
Cliff Robertson
J.K. Simmons

Spider-Man

Plot - Peter Paker (Maguire) is the resident science geek of Midtown High in New York. Orphaned as a child he was taken in by his loving Aunt May (Harris) and Uncle Ben. These days he is the frequent focus of the school's bullies and is unable to act on the massive crush he has for his next door neighbour, Mary Jane Watson (Dunst). Peter's whole life is turned upside down however during a field trip to a genetics library. He is bitten by a radioactive spider that had escapes its confinement. The incident leaves him feeling decidedly groggy, but when he wakes up the next morning not only is that sensation gone, but many other things have also changed. He is stronger, quicker and more agile. He finds himself inexplicably able to climb walls, fire webbing from his own wrists and develops a precognitive warning sense. Initially using his powers for his personal gain Peter's outlook changes when his beloved Uncle Ben is killed by a robber that Peter could have stopped but let go free. From then on Peter resolves to become a hero and fight the type of evil that claimed the life of his Uncle. Peter is not the only one going through a drastic transformation however. Norman Osborn (Dafoe), father of Peter's best friend Harry (Franco), becomes the Green Goblin after an experiment goes horribly wrong. Together these two superhuman individuals find themselves on a collision course, with the people that Peter cares about most caught in the middle.

Returning to Spidey's first foray onto the big screen it's a surprise to find just how cheesy and goofy a film it was. Indeed going back to it feels almost a touch nostalgic. It may be only a little over 10 years old, but already there's a sense of 'they don't make them like that anymore.' When compared with the dozens of superhero films that have followed in its wake Spider-Man now seems rather quaint. Its story and the action now seem rather small and personal compared to some of the more bloated and epic approaches taken since, while its tone is so much lighter than many of its counterparts. It's tough to imagine how two films that both reside in the superhero genre could be more different than Spider-Man and say, The Dark Knight for example. And to be honest I think it's the film that the public wanted and indeed needed at the time. Released less than a year after 9/11 people wanted fun escapism, they wanted a hero to root for, they wanted a clear black and white distinction between good and evil. By delivering such a film I think that's a large reason why Spider-Man was such a massive box office success. After what now looks like the moderate success of X-Men ($296 million), Spider-Man scored a huge $821 million at the box office and proved that superhero films were here to stay. The film even has a very direct shout-out for New Yorkers. With Spidey in a precarious situation at the hands of the Green Goblin, members of the public begin throwing items at Goblin, declaring that “you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us.” It's an exceptionally hokey moment, but given its subtext you can certainly forgive it.

As I said at the start it does feel rather cheesy and goofy, with Raimi largely responsible for this tone. Indeed Spider-Man feels very much like a film with an almost B-movie sentimentality, but made with a blockbuster budget. The story allows Raimi to tap into his love for horror films, with many staples of old-school horror present. In Norman Osborn/Green Goblin you've got the classic tale of the mad scientist and an experiment which goes horribly wrong and results in a monster which has featured in countless horror tales since the birth of the genre. While later on in the character you have a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde dynamic as the two sides of Norman's psyche battle for control. Then you've got the Goblin's costume and that ridiculous mask which I've never liked. The character has a real demented Power Rangers vibe to him. And his goblin bombs have an effect like something from an old-school 50s sci-fi film, reducing his victims to their skeletons which then crumble to dust. In fact if I remember correctly it's very similar to the effect in Mars Attacks, itself a spoof of those 50s sci-fi flicks. Then there's the extremely daft wrestling match where complete amateurs are allowed into the ring with a muscle-bound goon to get beaten up. Everyone in the world knows that wrestling isn't real, apart from these guys apparently.

Film Trivia Snippets - During the famous upside-down kiss in the rain, a unique problem plagued the scene..Hanging upside down, Tobey Maguire's sinuses kept filling up with water. /// Before Willem Dafoe signed on for the role of the Green Goblin, it had been offered to Nicholas Cage, John Malkovich and Robert de Niro. /// When it comes to big blockbusers few writers have had more success than David Koepp. Spider-Man marked the fourth occasion in which a film he had written broke the record for the highest opening weekend gross at the box office. The others were Jurassic Park, Mission Impossible and The Lost World: Jurassic Park. /// One reason that Sony liked the idea of appointing Sam Raimi as director was his love for the world of comic books. An avid collector, he had amassed a collection totalling over 25,000 comics. That being said though, he was far from their first choice with others considered including Tony Scott, Jan de Bont, James Cameron, Roland Emmerich, Ang Lee and David Fincher. /// Several Spider-Man costumes had to be designed for the production, at a cost of up to $100,000 each. During filimng four of the costumes were stolen off the set. A reward of $25,000 for their return was posted by Columbia Pictures but they were never seen again.
And Raimi's direction certainly attempts to really grasp the look and feel of a comic book; it's a very bright, bold and colourful world that he's created for the characters. And for the most part it's a lot of fun, brining a lot of life and energy to proceedings. I love the montage of Peter attempting to come up with costume designs. With images, words and drawings crashing together its is a very neat, cool little scene. Oh and Peter's attempts at replicating his webslinging is still funny; “Up, up and away webs!” And Raimi does have an eye for a great shot. The upside down kiss in the rain is a very sexy moment, and has remained one of the most iconic images of all superhero films. And a number of the film's characters certainly live up to that colourful world Raimi presented. Top of which would certainly have to be Willem Dafoe who gives an insanely over-the-top performance as the Green Goblin; he sneers, smirks, cackles and glares his way through the movie. It's certainly not a subtle showing from Dafoe, but he gets lots of credit for some terrific 'evil eyebrow' work. Back in the day I don't think I was overly enamoured with him, but now I find it to be a lot of fun watching him go from quite creepy all the way into high camp on occasion. While the other larger-than-life character is to be found in the form of Daily Bugle editor, J. Jonah Jameson. J.K. Simmons seems to be having an absolute blast in the role, and as a result so does the audience. He just blusters his way through the film and dominates everyone who finds themselves in his path.

As our hero, Tobey Maguire was a very smart choice for the role. His Parker may lack some of the charisma and spark of Andrew Garfield's future incarnation but his dorky, loverlorn Peter is a sweet and likeable guy. As his love interest, Mary Jane Watson may not quite have the same character as in the comics; I imagine she lacks the same fire and spunk. She is more of the adorable girl next door, and Dunst fills the role well. With her troubles at home and unfulfilled acting aspirations she is also able to bring a surprising emotion and depth to the character. And as a huge admirer of redheads I personally don't think that Dunst has ever looked better. Both Rosemary Harris and Cliff Robertson do a fine job of giving Peter's Aunt and Uncle the requisite warmth and endearing nature, with Robertson in particular deserving of credit given his limited screentime and the fact that his death has to have the required impact upon Peter and in turn the viewer. Though some of Peter's scenes with Aunt May do slip into sappiness. The only really weak link of the cast I feel was James Franco's Harry Osborn. I just find him to be a bit bland a presence in the movie, though to be fair to Franco the script doesn't give him a great deal to work with. And his romance with MJ just never convinced whatsoever. No logical reasoning is ever really given for it to make it seem at all believable. It merely feels like a writer's ploy to try and introduce some O.C. style drama to the dynamic between the characters, and as a way of keeping Mary Jane in the picture. And even the romance between Peter and MJ tends more towards the sappy and overwrought on occasion. It certainly wasn't the film's strong suit.

Given that Spider-Man's origin story remains one of the best amongst all superheroes, the film very wisely chose to stick very closely to it. And I imagine it was quite the easy choice. After being gifted with his new powers Peter does what pretty much everyone of his age would do, he has fun with them and then thinks how he can use them for his own personal gain which unsurprisingly takes on the form of impressing Mary Jane. It's only through the death of his beloved uncle, and the guilt he feels due to his unwitting part in it, that Peter feels obligated to use his new-found abilities for a higher, more noble calling. As the iconic staple of Spider-Man goes, “with great power comes great responsibility.” And even with the film's light-hearted, breezy tone I admire the fact that the film shows the truth about heroism. It's not all parades and admiration. It shows the sacrifices that he must make and the pain that it causes him. Once more going back to its relation to 9/11, I imagine it rang a bell for a number of people given the ultimate sacrifice that numerous New York servicemen made that day. Though I do have some problems with the origin here, many of which were corrected in 2012's reboot. Given how important it was in the comics I'd have liked more time spent in high school, I'd have liked them to develop more the fact that Peter is a genius and also Flash Thompson just looks completely wrong! But I realise these are more the complaints of a Spidey fanboy than a movie viewer.

Film Trivia Snippets - During the film Uncle Ben claims to be 68 years old. At the time of filing however Cliff Robertson was actually 75, but this didn't stop the make-up artists from attempting to make him look older. /// When the project was first mooted in the late 1980s a whole host of actresses were considered for the role of Mary Jane Watson. This expansive list of recognisable names included Jennifer Jason Leigh, Ally Sheedy, Jodie Foster, Phoebe Cates, Bridget Fonda, Diane Lane, Sarah Jessica Parker, Brooke Shields, Kyra Sedgwick, Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Molly Ringwald, Jennifer Aniston, Uma Thurman, Jennifer Connelly, Winona Ryder, Christina Applegate, Cameron Diaz, Alyssa Milano, Tori Spelling, Neve Campbell, Tiffani Amber Thiessen, Alyson Hannigan and Drew Barrymore. So pretty much every actress who was famous or would ever go on to be. When the film finally went into pre-production however, they were apparently all considered too old for the role. /// Once it did finally go into production Kate Hudson and Tara Reid were in strong contention, with Hudson a heavy favourite until she turned it down to star in The Four Feathers. Other acresses who did audition for the role included Alicia Witt, Mena Suvari, Elisha Cuthbert and Eliza Dushku. In fact Dushku can be seen during Tobey Maguire's screen test on the Spider-Man DVD.
So the film does have some flaws. It's rather silly and sappy at points, with more than one unintentional laugh to be found along the way (Goblin interrupting Aunt May's prayers the most guilty). And I don't think that its score soars the way that the character does, proving to be rather flat and predictable too often I feel. The film's biggest problem however? Macy Gray! I mean really, Macy F*CKING Gray?!!! Who the hell thought her inclusion was a good idea? It's got to be one of the most dated elements of any film ever, right up there with flares in 70s flicks and mullets in the 80s. I mean I honestly don't think I've seen or even heard of her since this film was released.

For the most part the film's special effects still hold up. The only ones that don't work are the same effects which didn't work back then; most notably the scenes of Peter running and jumping across the rooftops. They just lack any depth or sense of reality, very video game looking. And no matter how many Spider-Man films there have now been, or how many times I've seen them, the moments of Spidey swinging through the streets of New York are still a great thrill. Especially for the Spider fanboy, which I most certainly am. And while the film's action may seem quite small and limited by today's standards, I will give the film credit for the fact that every bit of action has a purpose, both to the characters and the story. There's no sense of 'let's just throw these two guys together for a big ass fight' at any point. In fact it takes over an hour before we get our first example of 'costume on costume' combat. And as opposed to many of the huge-scale battles which close out superhero flicks, I really like the personal, brutal beatdown between Spidery and the Goblin at the abandoned building site.

Conclusion - It may now reside a touch in the shadow of both various films which followed in its wake and its own sequel, but the original Spider-Man film remains a very fun experience which helped to set the groundwork for all those films that followed. If I'm honest I've perhaps been a touch generous with my rating in terms of how I feel about this film these days. After numerous rewatches it's perhaps a smidge lower than that now. But still a lot of fun.

Blade was the trail blazer of the comic book movie, but Spider Man made the film a staple of the current movie demographic. And I really like the movie. TBH, I still prefer the origin of the first movie over the reboot, though I will admit the organic web shooters did annoy me. Parker is a scientist, LET THE MAN MAKE HIS OWN WEB SHOOTERS! I also concur with the Macy Gray gripes. And shame on you for forgetting the best casting in the movie!

Srsly this man WAS JJ Jameson! Also your review reminded me that Cliff Robertson who played Uncle Ben, also played the President of the United States in Escape from LA. Go figure.

Yeah Spider-Man knocked me back when I first saw it but it became a little bit stale pretty quickly. When Spider-Man 2 was made though, I kinda fell out of love with the original. Then Spider-Man 3 killed the Raimi franchise beyond repair.

Rated it 85% myself... maybe a
rating if I used Popcorns.
Spidey 2 I had at 95%, I gave Spidey 3 45%.

The Amazing Spider-Man I rated 95% and it made #14 in my Top 100 as well. None of Raimi's Spider-films made it.

Loving the trivia though... imagine if Nick Cage and Jennifer Aniston had made the cut as Goblin and Watson... it would have been awful.

The only Spiderman movie I care about. I rate it the same. I would have been fine with Anniston, of course I am fine with any film anyone wants to put her in.

LMAO! WELL PLAYED SIR!
Thank you sir! I was quite proud of it myself when I put all the pieces together.

Loving the trivia though... imagine if Nick Cage and Jennifer Aniston had made the cut as Goblin and Watson... it would have been awful.
Well how about this. I left out trivia about people who were considered for Peter. When it was James Cameron circling the film he wanted Leonardo di Caprio while the studio were also interested in Ryan Philippe, Chris Klein, Wes Bentley, Heath Ledger and Freddie Prinze Jr. In fact once he became involved Raimi rather cruelly joked that Prinze "won't even be allowed to buy a ticket to see this film."

But imagine that. Spider-Man with a cast of Nicholas Cage, Jennifer Aniston and Freddie Prinze Jr.!!!

Although I've only kept Aniston in there for you. Personally I would have had here there ahead of quite a few others on the list

I reckon Di Caprio would have been worse than Prinze in a Spidey role...

Aniston, Cage and Di Caprio would have made my head implode.

Just remember that I still had one final batch of stupidity left.

I hope no-one thinks I'm being arrogant with this by the way. It was just going to be a little joke with one or two but then my OCD kicked in and I became obsessed with making more and more!

We start with a couple for Miss Vicky. One if she likes the review

and another if she doesn't

Plus some random efforts

He's a surprisingly eloquent and intelligent individual that Chewbacca.

HA! Your reward - rubber bazongas.
Yeah but there's three of them Mark. THREE!!!

No go watch and review Quills so I can use one of them.
I don't want to anymore. I'm scared! If I give it anything less than 5 stars I'm afraid what you'll to me.

EDIT - And just realised I may have made a slight error with the second Gladiator pic. It was tigers in the film wasn't it, not lions.