Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I just finished "Anima Persa" from 1977. This film from Italy was quite interesting. I give 7/10.

François Ozon's film 'Dans la maison' (In The House)

[/quote]

when you watch this film you can feel like a pervert because of all voyeuristic desire
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Heinlein

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think you'll like it N3wt
Awesome! HK is going to message me if he see's it coming on tv

but now you have my attention
Ratatouille

9/10

As Animated films go I rate this as one of the top ones. I was actually about to download some music but caught this while passing the tv then was glued to the end.

Love the characters.

Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982)

I watched the five hour television version of this uninterrupted last night, and I remained awake until almost 5am in the morning, so great it was. A truly magnificent film, by far Bergman's best. Everyone should watch this for the 80s list and for 'films in general', it is worth it it.

Finished here. It's been fun.
You're Next-7/10 enjoyable horror flick. Gory,bloody, and fun.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Glorious seance you had, Daniel M! I'm going to be watching Berlin Alexanderplatz soon, as recommended by Harry Lime. I already have watched 3 hours of it, but now I'm not at home, so I can't finish it. It's still 12 hours to the end, but I'm loving it so far.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Glorious seance you had, Daniel M! I'm going to be watching Berlin Alexanderplatz soon, as recommended by Harry Lime. I already have watched 3 hours of it, but now I'm not at home, so I can't finish it. It's still 12 hours to the end, but I'm loving it so far.
Sometime I am going to try and watch Satantango in one sitting, but finding 7 hours is not easy. I will watch Berlin Alexanderplatz for the Eighties list too, but I might watch it in episodes. I am going to watch Histoire(s) du Cinéma soon too, although that is only 4 1/2hours I think

Anyway just finished watching this...

Right now I give it
. It was weird, dark, depressing and too long I thought. I know a lot of people love it, but I didn't get anything, I didn't feel anything that the film was trying to say. I will have to watch it again sometime.

Anyway just finished watching this...

Right now I give it
. It was weird, dark, depressing and too long I thought. I know a lot of people love it, but I didn't get anything, I didn't feel anything that the film was trying to say. I will have to watch it again sometime.
As much as I loved other Charlie Kaufman penned films, I had similar feelings about this one. Have you seen Being John Malkovich or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

As much as I loved other Charlie Kaufman penned films, I had similar feelings about this one. Have you seen Being John Malkovich or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
I have seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Adaptation which I thought were very good films, like
definitely. Being John Malkovich I have ready to watch too. I was expecting this film to be similar to the two I have watched, but I dunno, it was just too weird, I will definitely have to watch it again sometime to try and 'get it' like I have said. I think with Kaufman as a director he went extreme and created something more extreme, it's more weird, more dark, and more personal.

The Man who would be King
9/10
Such a great movie with such a great cast.

Jaws: 8/10

The Departed: 8/10

(last but not least!) West Side Story: 10/10

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
(new ratings scale,
means "very good", so I can distinguish between all my movies by ratings, bad movies are rather homogeneous so they don't need distinguishing)
To each his own rating system. I prefer to distinguish with words rather than numbers for the same reason that you changed your system. I don't like the ambiguity with numbers, I could recommend a 3 star to a person depending on the film but 3 stars might imply only better than average to some. It also brings up the case of, is a 5 only a film that could be considered one of the best of all time, or is it just a very good film relative to the current market or films of the same genre? Words express more.

Right now I give it
I think I quoted the wrong post but I am too lazy to change. I think that SNY makes complete sense as a film and as a film in Charlie Kaufman's oeuvre (strange that he's considered an auteur as a screenwriter on his other films). The important things to consider with all of his films up until this most recent one are his status and directors. Before he could make a film like this, that stood no chance of being financially successful, he needed to accrue a sizable name for himself to secure funding. Film is the most costly of the arts it's sad to say. Being John Malkovich, weird as it is, is a more commercially viable product that was needed to establish Kaufman before he could be more daring. Also, SNY is the only film that he's directed, which makes a big difference. Directing a screenplay you didn't write is like translating the whole thing, and in Kaufman's case, the directors tended to normalize his films probably much more than the original screenplay was. When directing your own screenplay, the thoughts are directly onscreen and therefore more personal and more messy.

I don't like the ambiguity with numbers, I could recommend a 3 star to a person depending on the film but 3 stars might imply only better than average to some. It also brings up the case of, is a 5 only a film that could be considered one of the best of all time, or is it just a very good film relative to the current market or films of the same genre? Words express more.
True but ratings are easier.

True but ratings are easier.
True, but in rating films I'm usually unsure of the ratings and regret them eventually. They haunt me for years!!!!

I think I quoted the wrong post but I am too lazy to change. I think that SNY makes complete sense as a film and as a film in Charlie Kaufman's oeuvre (strange that he's considered an auteur as a screenwriter on his other films). The important things to consider with all of his films up until this most recent one are his status and directors. Before he could make a film like this, that stood no chance of being financially successful, he needed to accrue a sizable name for himself to secure funding. Film is the most costly of the arts it's sad to say. Being John Malkovich, weird as it is, is a more commercially viable product that was needed to establish Kaufman before he could be more daring. Also, SNY is the only film that he's directed, which makes a big difference. Directing a screenplay you didn't write is like translating the whole thing, and in Kaufman's case, the directors tended to normalize his films probably much more than the original screenplay was. When directing your own screenplay, the thoughts are directly onscreen and therefore more personal and more messy.
Here's what I posted that pretty much matches up with what you said:

I think with Kaufman as a director he went extreme and created something more extreme, it's more weird, more dark, and more personal.
I don't think it's a bad film, I just found it very difficult to enjoy or connect with in the strange way Kaufman would have intended, I know Ebert loved it and said it improved on repeat viewings as he attempted to 'master it', so maybe after more views, thinking and reading, I'll regard it as a better film.

It's kind of a fitting point that actually, when added to what you say about preference for words over rating. I think its harsh to give the film a low rating right now, it's a film much better built for discussion and analysis, hence why I just gave it the middle rating for now, I can't give it any less or any more

If you didn't like it you should give a bad rating. Giving it points only because it is artsy is nonsense.
That's not what I mean, I have a difficult time quantifying how good I thought a movie was. Translating thoughts into numbers isn't instantaneous in this case (in my schoolwork it usually is though).