JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Why did you inflict that picture of Sean Connery on us Jaydee..........WHY!!!!

Enjoyed the last few reviews. the Rock and Con Air are good for what they are, which is basically big dumb fun roller coaster rides.

I watched Demolition Man recently and it really does stand up quite well today like you said. Definitely one of the best action movies of the 90s if not ever.

I also liked and agreed with your Star Trek review in the Into Darkness thread and left a few thoughts of my own on the film.

Oh please, enough with the Big Lebowski references! What a horribly overrated film!
Wash your mouth out with soap

Oh please, enough with the Big Lebowski references! What a horribly overrated film!
First the Magnolia review and now this. I think I speak for Skepsis too when I say you're dead to me

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've not posted a new review for a little while for one reason or another, so to make it up to you all here's a double bill. First up is the last of my current run of action films, another Stallone film and another personal favourite (or guilty pleasure however you want to term it)

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Renny Harlin

Written by
Michael France
Sylvester Stallone

Starring
Sylvester Stallone
John Lithgow
Michael Rooker
Janine Turner
Rex Linn

Cliffhanger

+

Plot - Eric Qualen (Lithgow) is a ruthless criminal who has constructed an elaborate plan to hijack a United States Treasury airplane in mid-air and steal the $100 million bounty they are transferring. The operation is botched however and the money falls to the ground below, scattered across the foreboding Rocky Mountains. With the ability to track the cases which hold the money however it still seems like a sure win for Qualen and his gang of henchmen. After all, all that's standing between them and their haul are some measly mountain climbers. These climbers however are amongst the most skilled in the world, and they have the courage to match it. Gabe Walker (Stallone), Hal Tucker (Rooker) and Jessie Deighan (Turner) are in no mood to let the criminals get away with their plan so a frantic race to locate the money begins.

So far as part of my move musings I've done reviews of Die Hard on a cruise ship (Speed 2), Die Hard on a warship (Under Siege), Die Hard in a hockey stadium (Sudden Death) and probably some others I'm forgetting. Plus I also reviewed the original granddaddy of all of them; Die Hard itself. Now we come to perhaps the most ambitious of all the Die Hard clones that have been relentlessly churned out over the years; Die Hard on a mountain. While all of those films relied on containing the hero and the action within a single claustrophobic setting, Cliffhanger thrives on opening its world up, setting its sprawling action across the epic and wild expanse of the Rocky Mountains. As the end credits begin to roll the final image that we see is of those mountains themselves, and that feels like a very appropriate end as in many ways that setting becomes a star in its own right, perhaps even the star of the movie. It provides the film with some stunning scenery and vistas as its backdrop which means it's always interesting to look at. While its setting was the Colorado Rockies that isn't where Cliffhanger was actually filmed, it was instead filmed in the Cortina d'Ampezzo-Dolomites mountains in Italy because of their remarkable similarity to the Rockies. Captured by Alex Thomson's cinematographic eye the scenery just adds another layer of interest to the film; so scenes that we've seen countless times before in action films feel fresh thanks to the locations they are based in. It also creates

To really make the grade as an action film what you clearly need is some great action, pure and simple. And Cliffhanger certainly delivers. It both opens and closes on a high note with two great set-pieces and keeps the action flowing in between. In the opening scene Stallone's Gabe attempts to rescue his friend Hal and Hal's girlfriend, Sarah, who have become stranded high in the moutains after Hal injured his knee. After winching Hal to safety Gabe attempts to do the same for Sarah, but with disastrous results. Her harness breaks and she is left dangling above a massive chasm and certain death. Disregarding Hal's advice Gabe goes out onto the line in an attempt to save her but she slips from his grasp and falls into oblivion. The scene actually acts as a bit of a surprise. I mean this is Sylvester motherf*cking Stallone!!! He's the heroic dude who always saves the day, he's not going to let her fall is he? I mean there's no way, he's going to pull her up and....oh s*it she fell! And that vulnerable thread actually runs throughout the film. This isn't the type of character that Stallone or his action counterparts would play all that often; he's no tough-as-nails cop, no bad-ass soldier. He may be a tough, rugged mountain climber but he is also very human and is left completely shaken by the accident. It gives the character just a little bit more for Stallone to work with. And as a big fan of the man I think that he does a great job. Oh and as a little aside to that great opening set-piece, it's a scene which is hilariously spoofed by Jim Carrey and a racoon in Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.

Cliffhanger also features a series of rather awesome deaths which befall the villainous characters. These include Stallone riding one of the bad guys like a sled down the mountain (resulting in vicious ice burns down the guy's face) before depositing him over the cliff, the giant fireball that eventually claims Qualen and Qualen's despicable, heartless sacrificing of his own lover. And then there is the best death scene, one of my favourites throughout all of cinema actually. Having fallen down a crevice in the moutain Stallone finds himself getting his ass kicked by Kynette, one of the villain's henchmen. Seemingly at Kynette's mercy Stallone all of a sudden grabs Kynette by the family jewels and crushes them with his bare hands! He then hoists him up into the air and body presses him into the cave's roof, causing a stalactite to puncture through his body.

Film Trivia Snippets - John Lithgow was actually a last minute addition to the production. Christopher Walken had originally been cast in the role of Qualen but left just before filming began, necessitating the 11th hour piece of casting. /// Cliffhanger was actually a bit of a compromise which arose as the result of others projects being cancelled. The studio, Carolco, had originally signed Stallone to appear opposite John Candy in a John Hughes comedy about feuding neighbours. While Renny Harlin had been signed to direct “Gale Force”, a 'Die Hard in a hurricane' action film whose effects were deemed to difficult and expensive. After both projects fell through they were brought together for Cliffhanger. /// At one point in an effort to demonstrate his faith in the safety equipment, Renny Harlin put on a harness and flung himself out on a cable over a cliff. /// During the version that was seen by audiences during sneak previews a rabbit was killed by gunfire. Their horrified reaction was enough to make Stallone invest $100,000 of his own money to have the scene re-shot and have the rabbit be seen to escape. /// One of the men who acted as a stunt double for Stallone was Ron Kauk and he really had to bulk up for the role. He ate 5 carbohydrate-heavy meals a day and pumped a lot of iron. As well as doubling Stallone, rather surprisingly he also doubled for Leon Robinson (a 6'3” black man) and Janine Turner (a 5'6” woman)!
As anyone who saw the fourth season of Dexter will be able to attest to John Lithgow makes for one terrific villain. Although here he is in more hammy, outlandish form than the quietly chilling way he played the Trinity Killer. He is just delightfully smarmy as Eric Qualen, smirking and sneering his way through the film. The man just has a face for evil. With hardly any effort at all it just takes on this natural look of pure disdain, giving his character this real sense of superiority as if he is disgusted to be having to share the same planet as the rest of us. And as is fitting for a villain in a 90s action film Lithgow employs an English accent. When it came to action films, the 80s and 90s were a time where just about every single villain came with an accent, typically from one of three camps. They were either English (Last Action Hero, Gone in 60 Seconds, Tomorrow Never Dies, The Lion King etc), German (Die Hard, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Rocketeer) or Russian (Air Force One, Red Dawn, First Blood Part 2, Top Gun, Rambo 3, Rocky IV, Red Heat, Hunt for Red October, Goldeneye etc etc. Man the Russians had a really tough time of it! ).

Backing him up in the villain stakes is a fun performance from Rex Linn as Richard Travers, the dirty US Treasury agent who hooks up with Qualen and orchestrates the theft. The only previous work that I would really associate him with would be as the police officer on CSI: Miami so it was nice to see him playing a much nastier a*shole character. And even though he's not playing a villainous character Michael Rooker also gets a lot of traction out of clashing with Stallone. Rooker played Hal Tucker, a fellow mountain climber and previously a close friend of Gabe's. Following the death of Sarah he blames Gabe and from then on Rooker plays Hal with a great deal of intensity and a real bitter fury towards Gave. The only real disappointment in the cast is Janine Turner as Jessie, the supposed love interest of Stallone's Gabe even if I never really felt it, but in her defence a large part of that is down to the underwhelming character she is lumbered with.

One thing that really adds to the thrill of the film and how much the audience becomes invested in the story and its characters is how genuine much of it clearly is. While it did employ a series of cinematic tricks such as CGI, miniatures, matte paintings and even a motorised Sylvester Stallone pippet to impressive use, for the most part this is principal effects at work. These are real people that you're seeing climbing on that mountain, including the actors themselves on a number of occasions climbing the mountains and hanging over cliffs and voids. And when it's not them you've got a series of the world's best mountain climbers acting as their stunt doubles, meaning that we get some fantastic examples of mountain climbing. Although that's not the only piece of stunt work to catch the eye. The scene that depicts the attempted theft from the Treasury plane is insane. The plane is hijacked mid-flight and a line connecting it to another plane is put in place. The Travers character then uses the line to transfer from one plane to another in mid-air, a feat that was actually achieved through principal means, no CGI. Stuntman Simon Crane performed the stunt for real at 15,000 feet without even any safety devices and was paid $1 million to do so; and in my eyes he earned every penny. And while Cliffhanger was filmed in Italy this scene was actually filmed back in America as performing such a stunt was illegal in Europe. As a result of this stunt Cliffhanger resides in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the costliest aerial stunt ever performed. And Sylvester Stallone is to thank for making it happen. The insurance company that were underwriting the film refused to insure anyone to perform the stunt, so Stallone offered to have his salary cut to pay for the stunt. And because of the extreme danger involved, the stunt was only performed once.

Conclusion - Like the large majority of Stallone's back catalogue, Cliffhanger was never exactly going to trouble the big award ceremonies or be a darling of the critics. Also like the large majority of his films however, Cliffhanger is a whole load of fun. It's got some exciting action, a deliciously evil villain in Lithgow and is actually quite a funny and witty excursion on occasion.

And as for the second part of my reviews double bill (make sure to notice Cliffhanger up above) we leave behind the acton flicks and return to 'proper' films, while still sticking with my 90s season

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Marc Rocco

Written by
Dan Gordon

Starring
Christian Slater
Kevin Bacon
Gary Oldman
Embeth Davidtz
William H. Macy
Stephen Tobolowsky

Murder in the First

++

Plot - As a 17-year-old orphan Henri Young (Bacon) stole a measly $5 from a post office to try and help out his young sister. His punishment was to be sent to the most famous (or infamous) prison of them all - Alcatraz. After he is caught during an attempted escape, he is placed in solitary confinement by the prison's sadistic warden, Milton Glenn (Oldman). According to the law the maximum stay in such conditions in 19 days. Henri Young however was held in the cold, dark dungeons of Alcatraz for three years. When he was finally released back into the general population he was no longer the same man; his treatment had turned him into a crazed individual who kills a fellow prisoner within mere moments of his release. Charged with the murder of the inmate he seems certain to be found guilty and sentenced to death. The case however falls into the lap of James Stamphill (Slater), a young and idealistic lawyer who doesn't believe that Henri is to blame; the real murderer is the prison itself, it's Alcatraz that drove Henri to do it.

As I was watching Murder in the First unfold I thought to myself it was easy to see why this story had been transported to the big screen as it features so many staples that are favourites of the Hollywood system - a courtroom setting, the battle of the little man against a powerful foe and impossible odds, brothers divided by the case, the conspiracy angle of witnesses being beaten up and intimidated etc. So it was a bit of a disappointment to come online and find out that very little of it was actually based on truth. In fact about the only thing that was true is that in 1941 there was an inmate named Henri Young incarcerated at Alcatraz who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter after he killed a fellow inmate. Pretty much everything else was entirely fictional. While these changes may help to create a more interesting and captivating narrative I couldn't help but feel rather conned by these alterations, especially as they were covered under the umbrella of “This film is inspired by a true story” in the opening credits; I was left feeling like it had done so in an effort to manipulate my emotions. So that certainly hurt the film a little bit in my eyes. However if you can ignore that what you're left with is still a very engaging piece of fictional drama, even if the courtroom scenes tend to indulge in some classic cliches such as Slater employing a unique and distuptive arguing style, being constantly threatened with contempt and being told that he's on thin ice.

The greatest strength of Murder in the First certainly lies within its cast. It is an excellent ensemble that the film was able to assemble, one of the more impressive of any 90s film, certainly amongst those films which aren't particularly well known. Even right down to the most minor of roles the film is blessed with talented and awards-recognised performers such as Emmy and Golden Globe winner Kyra Sedgwick, Academy Award nominee Brad Dourif, the distinctive presence of R. Lee Ermey and prolific character actor Stephen Tobolowsky. And of course as the District Attorney that Slater goes up against in court you have the always great William H. Macy. In the lead role we have Christian Slater, an actor whose work I've always enjoyed for his charismatic and sparky manner. Here however it's a little bit of a different role for Slater, not quite the typically raw and edgy character he frequently plays. As a result of it perhaps being a little outside of his normal wheelhouse, Slater perhaps attempts to compensate on occasion by over-acting a touch. That aside however it is still a very strong and commendable performance as for large stretches he is required to carry the film by himself opposite a taciturn Bacon. I felt he was particularly impressive in showcasing his character's growing fury at the inhumane treatment and the injustice that Henri is being subjected to. As the real villain of the piece we have Gary Oldman as warden Milton Glenn; a truly despicable character truly deserving of our loathing. Even though he doesn't actually have a great deal of screentime, Oldman really doesn't need much to convey the vile nature of his character and stoke up our hatred for him. Given the character he is asked to create you may expect Oldman to go very big with his performance as is quite common for him, but it's actually more reserved and quietly intense than you may imagine.

Film Trivia - As I said, much of the details about the life of Henri Young were completely fabricated for the movie. In real life he was not jailed merely for stealing $5 to help his sister. He was actually a hardened bank robber who took and brutalized a hostage on at least one occasion, and who committed murder in 1933. He had also served time in two State prisons and a Federal prison before entering Alcatraz. And while the film depicts Henri dying immediately following the trial, in reality this wasn't the case. He was transferred from Alcatraz in 1948 to the Medical Center for Federal Prisoners in Springfield, Missouri. When his Federal sentence expired in 1954 he was turned over to the Washington State Penitentiary at Walla Walla to begin a life sentence for an earlier murder conviction. In 1972, at the age of 61, Young was released from Washington State Penitentiary, but he jumped parole and, according to Washington State authorities, his whereabouts are unknown, therefore, Young might still be alive. Even if he would be 102 years old
In my eyes however Murder in the First is a film that truly belongs to Kevin Bacon who gives a terrific showing as the woefully treated inmate, Henri Young. I found it to be an especially affecting performance as Bacon portrayed the animal that he had been turned into as a result of his horrific treatment. Following his ordeal in isolation Henri Young is a completely broken man, both physically and mentally; in discussions with Bacon's lawyer he doesn't even know how old he is. Watching Bacon scurry around his cell, hobbling from the injury the warden inflicts upon him and unable to communicate, is reminiscent of the kind of footage you sometimes see of an ape that has been kept in captivity for too long and has heartbreakingly gone rather crazy. It reminded me a touch of the documentary Project Nim which I watched and reviewed a while back. The inhumane treatment which he has suffered has reduced him to quite a child-like state, we see him playfully sticking his tongue out at a child in the courtroom and despite the fact that his life is on the line during the trial the only thing important to him is having a friend in Slater's Stamphill. It's actually quite sweet how their friendship develops, to the point where Slater actually sneaks a prostitute into the prison for Henri. Both men lost their parents at a young age and seem to have very little in the way of personal connections. Henri really is a tremendously tragic figure and Bacon's performance is excellent. To convincingly portray the physical hardships that his character went through Bacon lost 20 pounds for the role. Outside of the Screen Actors Guild and the Broadcast Film Critics awards I'm surprised that he wasn't even nominated by any of the other awards organisations.

And it's through his character that the film really gets to the heart of the issues it wants to explore; the prison system and its redeeming qualities. Instead of rehabilitating Henri Young all the prison system has done for him is to create a monster, someone much more dangerous than when he was first incarcerated. And it's still an issue that rumbles on to this day, particularly in America with astronomical incarceration numbers, private prisons and a crushingly high recidivism rate all major concerns. It questions what the true nature of a prison should be. Is it just to keep dangerous individuals off the streets for a few years until they're released back into the world the same as when they went in, except now they're angry, disenfranchised and with little chance of gainful employment meaning a likely return to crime? Or is it their duty to attempt a rehabilitation of these criminals so that when they rejoin society they can make a positive contribution?

Murder in the First was directed by the late Marc Rocco, a director whose name I have to admit I had no familiarity with whatsoever. And that's no real surprise as he only directed four films in his short career and this film, released in 1995 when he was just 33 years old, was his last effort in the director's chair. And I've got to say that on the strength of this film it's a bit of a surprise that he was never given another opportunity, unless of course it was through his choice. You could perhaps accuse him of over-directing the film, of not putting enough trust in his actors to just tell the story, but personally I was quite impressed by his handling of the piece. He imbues the film with a lot of energy thanks to his ever-moving camera, ensuring that he brings life to a story which could otherwise feel rather sedate and tedious as a result of taking place almost exclusively in two potentially dull and suffocating environments; the cells and the courtroom. His immensely active camera also creates a number of other emotions. When we see Henri in his cell the camera roams around his confinings, almost mocking him with its freedom. These moments where the camera swirls around him also succeed at mimicking the character's fractured state of mind at this point.

Film Trivia Snippets - While filming the courtroom scenes in California, proceedings were interrupted by the powerful 6.7 Northbridge earthquake which left 57 people dead and over 8,700 people injured. Kevin Bacon was perhaps fortunate not to join one of those lists as at the time it hit he was handcuffed to a table, with no option but to duck underneath the table for shelter as an enormous crystal chandelier swung perilously above his head. The warehouse studio where the set was located was later condemned. /// At one stage Oliver Stone was apparently involved in an acting capacity, though for what role depends on the source. One role had him auditioning for the role of D.A. McNeill which went to William H. Macy, while according to Stephen Tobolowsky Stone was cast as Mr. Henkin but he didn't show up on the day of filming. So Rocco called Tobolowsky to take on the role just hours before shooting. /// As a result of the producers wanting a sense of authenticity Kevin Bacon, Christian Slater and Gary Oldman all spent much of their free time during the filming locked in jail cells.
In the film's opening stretch we find Henri confined in isolation in the dungeons of Alcatraz, with Rocco filming in extreme close-ups and inverted camera angles, emulating the horribly claustrophobic and cramped nature of Young's life at this time. Getting in so tight also allows us to really focus in on the pain in Bacon's eyes and to experience the dirt and grime of the foul dungeons. These scenes are contrasted by exterior shots of San Francisco and its bay which really revel in their wide expanses and liberation. In a more typical move of such films we also find Henri Young constantly behind and blocked by the bars of his prison. In fact framing proceedings behind bars or a close approximation is a touch that features throughout the whole film, using gates and window panes in place of actual bars at time. At one point the courthouse where the case is going to be tried is actually framed behind a gate which acts like bars, replicating how Slater's Stamphill is attempting to put the system on trial. I also enjoyed the little touch of recreating newsreel footage which opened the film and was then spliced throughout.

I felt that the use of music throughout the film was rather sparse, but on the occasions where it was prevalent I felt that the score provided by Christopher Young was really quite beautiful. More known for his work on horror films at the time his work here is presented in the style of a good old-fashioned, big orchestral effort that is a tender, highly emotional, inspirational, haunting and occasionally breathtaking effort. That is particularly true down the film's closing stretch, with his final contribution, “Redemption”, being an especially stirring, powerful and glorious moment.

Conclusion - There's a slight touch of a Shawshank Redemption vibe to this film. Both are period-set prison films which could fall into the category of male weepies, which concern themselves with corrupt prisons, inhumane treatment, the power of friendship and the quest for freedom and hope. While Murder in the First may not soar quite as high as Shawshank it's still a damn fine film in its own right, with two excellent central performances and a great ensemble effort helping it overcome some clichéd characters and moments. Well worth a look.

I've never been able to get into Cliffhanger. I've only seen it once, but I've tried to watch it a few times. However, I get the impression that John Lithgow is more Raising Cain than Dexter season 4.

I've not seen Murder In The First since the late 90's, but it's stayed with me all that time. I'm glad to see you liked it, JD.

Jesus, JD, thread's being hijacked by tards with too much time on their hands. Start lighting 'em up.

And start reviewing films worth a damn again. This last batch is all fizzle but no bang.

Jesus, JD, thread's being hijacked by tards with too much time on their hands. Start lighting 'em up.

And start reviewing films worth a damn again. This last batch is all fizzle but no bang.
To be fair I think I'm the one who's been hijacking the thread with my stupid pics!

Well the next couple of 90s films have more depth and complexity to them, and are quite well thought of. Don't know how you feel about them though.

However, I get the impression that John Lithgow is more Raising Cain than Dexter season 4.

I've not seen Murder In The First since the late 90's, but it's stayed with me all that time. I'm glad to see you liked it, JD.
Oh yeah absolutely. That's a good line actually, wish I thought of it! Don't know if you read the review or not but think I commented about how it's a much more hammy, scenery-chewing performance than the quitely menacing, intense Trinity Killer.

Yeah I remember you mentioning you were a fan of the film because of the great cast. Hope you enjoyed my review. (And yes that is me fishing for a compliment! )

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Andrew Niccol

Written by
Andrew Niccol

Starring
Ethan Hawke
Jude Law
Uma Thurman
Loren Dean
Alan Arkin

Gattaca

++

Plot - In the not-too-distant future, science has reached the stage where it has perfected the creation of the 'perfect' human being. Individuals who are not genetically engineered are looked down upon as inferior and have their opportunities in life severely restricted. One such 'natural birth' is Vincent Anton Freeman (Hawke), born with a heart defect which will limit his life and crush his dreams of travelling into space. To try and skirt the discrimination that comes along with his standing as a so-called 'in-valid' he illegally pays for and assumes the identity of Jerome Eugene Morrow (Law); a genetically engineered perfect specimen who is nevertheless paralysed as a result of a car accident. With the help of Jerome providing DNA samples to aid the ruse, Vincent is able to gain a place at the prestigious Gattaca Coroporation, where he is selected to go on a mission into space. At the same time however the director of the mission is killed, and the ensuing investigation threatens both Vincent's dreams and his freedom.

Gattaca is a very classy, intelligent slice of science fiction. It's a film that definitely seems to harken back to the genre's 1970s heyday, both in terms of its smarts but also the fact that it uses its sci-fi element to try and tell an intriguing and layered story with a message, and not just as an excuse for a series of explosions and space battles. It's certainly not a popcorn sci-fi flick, but more of a thinking man's movie. It's not a film which details and speculates about the far-flung possible future of spaceships, ray guns and aliens; but a film which takes our current society and levels of technology and just nudges them ever so slightly down the line; as the film itself tells us it's set in “the not-too-distant future”, and postulates how our civilization may adapt and change to advances in science.

It is an admirably restrained and understated addition to the sci-fi genre. In fact for much of the film it doesn't necessarily feel like a piece of science fiction. It just uses the sci-fi angle as the launching pad for a story encompassing romance, prejudice and mystery. In fact there's a strong noirish thread to the film, highlighted by Hawke's voiceover, a murder mystery and the use of dopplegangers amongst other elements. And in line with its constrained nature I appreciate the fact that the film doesn't just throw out lots of examples of futuristic technology just to get an easy wow from the audience, only doing so in the areas that are really prevalent to the story. And within the realm of genetics and science the film does a great job at detailing this advanced society. Showing all the little touches surrounding DNA and the numerous ways in which Vincent circumvents all of the tests is something I really enjoyed. I also love the lingo that Andrew Niccol created specifically for the film, a really great glossary of slang terms for this world. Individuals who were not genetically engineered are referred to by a number of terms, mostly in an unflattering and disparaging manner, such as 'utero', 'in-valid', 'faith-birth' and God-child.' By comparison those that have been engineered are addressed with great reverence as 'vitro', 'valid' or 'made-man.' People who were conceived naturally but have assumed the identity of an engineered person to 'get above their station' are referred to as a 'borrowed ladder' or by the cruder term, a 'de-gene-erate.' Oh and I love the slang term that Ethan Hawke uses to describe FBI agents - hoovers. It acts as a nod to both J Edgar Hoover (founder of the FBI) and to their practice of hoovering up skin cells and hair follicles in search of evidence.

I felt that the film was extremely well-acted throughout, even if it's not always immediately clear as a result of the nature of many of the performances. Most of the performances may appear to be rather staid, perhaps even wooden, but that fits in with the conservative, repressive disposition of this world's people. Uma Thurman in particular falls into this category, while she also suffers from existing purely as a means to help develop the character of Vincent. As a result it's quite a tough, thankless role but she does a solid job all the same. And just based on physical appearance alone Thurman is a great piece of casting. With her character meant to be one of these genetically engineered 'perfect' people, her face seems a likely product of such a procedure with its flawless, porcelain-like complexion. As someone who was once voted People's Sexiest Man Alive you could also say the same about the casting of Jude Law. Up until a couple of weeks ago I would have said that I didn't particularly care for Jude Law as an actor, but apparently I had just been seeing the wrong films. First off I was extremely impressed with his showing in The Talented Mr Ripley, and now it was a similar story here in Gattaca. I thought he did a great job in the role of Eugene, playing him with intelligence, intensity, bitterness and a touch of rebellious glee at being able to f*ck with the perfect system. Law's scenes with Hawke are frequently amongst the film's best. And speaking of Ethan Hawke I thought he did a great job in the lead role at building the character of Vincent, delivering a character of great focus and dedication, pretty much to a level of obsession. To realise his dreams he must display a really single-minded devotion and commitment to maintaining his façade at Gattaca, and Hawke does so with a real sense of drive and desperation. Oh and I also really enjoyed Alan Arkin's small contribution to the film, finding him very gently amusing in the role of Detective Hugo. While the investigatory techniques employed by the agents may be very much in line with the likes of CSI, by contrast Arkin himself seems much more comparable to Columbo; a little bit of a scruffy, bumbling fellow who hides his intelligence beneath his crumpled outer appearance.

Film Trivia Snippets - The original title that the film was shot under was “The Eighth Day”, a reference to the Biblical story detailing how God created the Earth. The story states that the Earth was created in six days and that one the seventh day God rested. The film's original title implies that on the eighth day man begin to tinker with their own genetic make-up. The name of the centre in the movie where the children are engineered is still called The Eighth Day. The film had a much-delayed release however and by the time it was finally set to be released a Belgian film had been released with the same title. As a result Andrew Niccol was forced to come up with a new title. /// As part of the film's promotion Sony placed a number of fake ads in newspapers across America offering “Children made to order.” The ads looked so authentic that they actually received thousands of calls from people interested. As a result The American Society for Reproductive Medicine asked Sony to change the ads to make it clear they were fake. /// The original ending for the film featured images of people who would never have been born in this society if we had genetic engineering, individuals including Albert Einstein (dyslexia), Abraham Lincoln (Marfan syndrome), John F. Kennedy (Addison's disease), Stephen Hawking (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) and Vincent Van Gogh (epilepsy). It ended with the statement "Of course, the other birth that may never have taken place is your own." People in test screenings said it made them feel inadequate and as a result it was cut.
I loved the look of Gattaca. Niccol's direction and the sharp, crisp photography of Sławomir Idziak deserve a lot of credit. While Niccol composed a lot of great shots and compositions, what I was really a fan of were the numerous colour schemes that were deposited across the film's landscape. The various filters that Idziak employs do a great job at presenting contrasts between the different facets of this world, as well as simply helping to create the feeling of a slightly different world from that which we currently inhabit. Probably the most commonly utilised colour scheme is a cold blue tinge that is used to represent the scientific side which is so prevalent in this world, creating a real sense of being immersed in a sterile, cold and glacial existence. These stretches also tend to be quite washed out in appearance to highlight the lifeless and emotionless personality of the valids. This is contrasted by green hues which evoke a sense of nature and creation, and a yellow/golden tint which creates a much warmer tone and frequently seemed to be incorporated more towards the in-valid characters. Another visual touch which helps to flesh out Gattaca's themes is its set and art design. The sets and locations feel very sterile and soulless to once again highlight the separation from humanity that is present. And the staircase in Eugene's home is excellent. A spiral staircase, it is quite clearly symbolic of the DNA double helix so obviously ties in to the film's story of genetics. And the scene where Eugene has to drag himself up the stairs shows him overcoming his physical limitations (he is paralysed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair) just as Vincent had to overcome his own physical limitations imposed on him in the form of his DNA. So yeah I loved how Gattaca looked, but I also loved how it sounded. Michael Nyman's score is spectacular; a truly beautiful and haunting effort which has a great depth all of its own and makes for a perfect companion piece for the visuals.

On first glance you may not think that Gattaca and the Sylvester Stallone vehicle that I just reviewed, Demolition Man, would have a great deal in common but they do actually cover some of the same ground. While neither film features the standard aesthetic or tone of a dystopian sci-fi film, both are certainly located in a dystopia all the same. On the surface both worlds may appear to be pristine, peaceful utopias of humanity; but scrape away that surface level and you'll see that for many people this world is not a particularly pleasant or prosperous environment to reside in. The advances in genetics may have created the 'perfect' human being in the eyes of many people, but what it has really done is just make the division between the haves and the have-nots all the more transparent, providing a clearer definition of the social hierarchies. It shows how that even if we were able to completely crack the DNA coding for the perfect human being we wouldn't be able to change the personality and deep seated dispositions of humanity; as a society we would still retain our habits of prejudice except that it would no longer be based on race, sex or religion, but on genetics. As Vincent states he “belonged to a new underclass, no longer determined by social status or the color of your skin. No, we now have discrimination down to a science.” The quest for perfection has destroyed individuality, creating an immensely conformist society as is seen in the almost identical appearance of all the employees at Gattaca. By becoming all the same much of the civilisation has lost its soul. It's no accident that the one piece of true art we see created throughout the film is to be found at the hands (literally) of one of these so-called in-valids; a 12-fingered pianist who enchants Vincent, Irene and the audience with his exquisite talent.

Another thing we would be unlikely to be capable of replicating however is the human spirit. History is full of examples of people overcoming shortcomings in their life; whether it be physical, mental, educational etc to achieve great things. In the film Vincent overcomes his genetic weaknesses to live out his dream, despite the whole attitude of society telling him its not possible. Through his own personal determination and hard work he is able to triumph over adversity while people like Eugene are unable to succeed despite being born with erery advantage possible. This world also breeds a mentality of how second place is for losers, a mentality that resulted in Jerome's attempted suicide which left him wheelchair-bound. It's also reflected very evidently in the sibling rivalry between Vincent and Anton.

Conclusion - Gattaca is an extremely accomplished, cerebral film which has a fascinating and intruging premise at its core. It is also a very plausible tale, one we can easily imagine coming to pass before too long, which addresses a number of interesting issues. In technical terms the film is almost flawless with only the odd hiccup in its story working against it; for example the romance between Hawke and Thurman didn't do a great deal for me, and I wasn't a fan of the revelation in regards to the idenity of a certain character. It was something I saw coming a considerable time before it was revealed and it felt like one of the few times the film was adhering to more classic movie conventions.

PS - Just as I was re-reading my review before posting it I began to wonder if I had perhaps misinterpreted the part of the film concerning the 12-fingered pianist. Was he actually genetically engineered to have 12 fingers purely to be a musical success in that he is able to play a piece of music that would otherwise be impossible. Was he actually a valid? I suppose it would make more sense that the public would go and support him. Although there is the poster advertising the concert which had the pianist covering his face with his hands. I assumed this was out of a sort of shame, but perhaps it was just highlighting what people were coming to see; his extra fingers and what he was able to do with them. What are people's thoughts?

I remember watching Gattaca several years ago and I enjoyed the film. The extremes that Vincent goes to pretend to be someone else was to the point of OCD. To be honest I cannot only remember so much of the movie. I guess I will have to rewatch it sometime too.

Now that really is a great review, JD.

Just some housekeeping. I wouldn't mention it, but if I don't, when you spot it you'll accuse us all of not reading it properly.

for example the romance between Hawke and Kidman didn't do a great deal for me,
There's also a misspelling of "every", but I can't find it now.

Great review Gattaca forgotten how many times i have watched it, just replaced it with Blu Ray copy
Thanks nebs. Could perhaps become a real favourite of mine as well over more viewings

Now that really is a great review, JD.

Just some housekeeping. I wouldn't mention it, but if I don't, when you spot it you'll accuse us all of not reading it properly.

There's also a misspelling of "every", but I can't find it now.
So what you've just been lying previously? Humouring me? No to be fair I was quite happy with the review itself, felt it was one of my better ones in a while. Though it is easier when you've got themes and issues to talk about instead of best death scenes like in my action film reviews

You know I had to look at the section you quoted for ages before I spotted the problem! The way you said there's 'also' a misspelling of every made me think it was another spelling error and I just couldn't see it no matter how many times I went over it. Although to be fair my complaint does stand, the film really didn't convince me of the romance between Hawke and Kidman. And the fact that Kidman isn't in the film is no excuse!

By the way is there anyone who has seen Gattaca recently enough or enough times that they have an opinion of the 12 fingered man question I posed?

Oh yeah and I really need to find somewhere to back up all my reviews. Either another forum or site, or start up my own site or blog for it. Just I'm getting so many database errors just now and every time I worry that the board has crashed and all my precious, precious reviews will be lost forever!