City of Lost Children

→ in
Tools    

I thought I was the only person on Earth who saw this movie.
I liked this movie. If they would have made it with Johnny Depp or Bruce Willis it would have been a blockbuster.
I'm waiting for your review Deckerd

Didn't see it.
I haven't even heard of this one. Is it in theaters or on video?

This is without a doubt my favourite French film of the last 15 years. Dont even talk of recasting this masterpiece SunFrog, it's perfect the way it is.

Directed by Juenet & Caro (Delicatessen & Alien Ressurection) this film is one of the best Adult FairyTales every made. Ron Pearlman (Alien Ressurection, The Last Supper) is superb as are all the cast (a lot of which turn up in Alien Ressurection). Truly a Mindblowing Experience.

CITY OF LOST CHILDREN (9/10)

Oh, I'm not saying they should recast it. I think not too many people saw it because Ron Pearlman was the lead. (sort of) If it would have stared Willis or Depp their big name status would have drawn in the crowds and it would have been a 100 mil movie. It had a good story and all the right elements, just didn't have well known stars so it didn't get much attention. Maybe in France it did, I don't know.

Has no one else seen this visual delight?? The cinematography alone warrants a screening. Then youve got a story that is pure imagination and an eccentric vision brought to the screen for all you cinema fiends to enjoys.

A true original that has inspired many, its must see cinema from the makers of Amelie.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
I almost picked it for the Mofo Movie Club, but I thought I better pick a film I've seen.

I will watch this film in the near future.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah, gotta say, this is a quality film. And delicatesan before it. And Amelie after it. They've all got all got beautiful tone and structure really. Hell, even Alien 4 was a brave stab, u can see why he put off Amelie to make it i suppose. i.e. he had a stab at getting a big audience (plus getting to play with a big budget and his choice of crew)

what IS the directors name by the way?? I've forgotten.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Amile was directed by the latter of the two.

Great movie by the way.

One of my favs. (**** stars)

I've gone and bemuddled myself. Wait, so, Caro did Deli and City, and Jeunet did Aliens and Amelie?

They all have that theme of random events linking plot points tho don't they? Except in aliens which just has random events, like the guy shooting the fly when they're climbing a ladder after their swim.

i wondered as well whether the director was drawn to aliens 4 coz it was anti: overbearing-government and arrogant-tech-manipulations i.e. the scene with the experimental riplys etc. I thought that theme might appeal to the one (not sure which dir. it would be now ) who likes the old "butterfly's wings" ripple outs from "inconsequential" actions style scenes.

Not saying A4 was the greatest statement movie in the world, but think i'll now say: if you are worried about arrogant-technology-manipulations in the modern world, why not look at http://www.i-sis.org.uk [heheh, shameless plug for one my favourite moralising scientists sites - gonna have to make it my signature]

It was a visually splendid movie. I can't really review it since I have only seen it once, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

Originally posted by Golgot
I've gone and bemuddled myself. Wait, so, Caro did Deli and City, and Jeunet did Aliens and Amelie?

They all have that theme of random events linking plot points tho don't they? Except in aliens which just has random events, like the guy shooting the fly when they're climbing a ladder after their swim.

i wondered as well whether the director was drawn to aliens 4 coz it was anti: overbearing-government and arrogant-tech-manipulations i.e. the scene with the experimental riplys etc. I thought that theme might appeal to the one (not sure which dir. it would be now ) who likes the old "butterfly's wings" ripple outs from "inconsequential" actions style scenes.

Not saying A4 was the greatest statement movie in the world, but think i'll now say: if you are worried about arrogant-technology-manipulations in the modern world, why not look at http://www.i-sis.org.uk [heheh, shameless plug for one my favourite moralising scientists sites - gonna have to make it my signature]
Not every film is a social commentary or symbolizes a rage against the system, I think Alien 4 was just an action film whose only saving grace is the set design, thanks to my man Keunet. Still, I'd only give it a ** out of ***, which is less than what I deem good.

Off topic (Sorta): I had a conversation with this one guy who thought the action in The Hulk was Ang Lee criticizing the Bush administration for the use of violence. I thought that was funny. Maybe it was one of those "you'd have to be there" things. Oh well. It goes to show how some people try really hard to find a hidden meaning, and sometimes come up with something really stupid.

oh yeah, i'm not saying it was a central theme of aliens4, or that the film was anything special. There was just a couple of clumsy pitches of that sort i.e. the ambitious-military-govn-experiment plotline and the experimental-Riply-room scene, which was lingered on.

Urm, and it was very greeny, which is how i remember City as well (just trying to get back to the threadpoint )

(haven't seen hulk. Sounds green too)

doubt watching the hulk upside down would make it about bushy's testosterone tantrums. Now if they portrayed the hulk as being dyslexic, with some skeletons in his closet, an incomplete military career, and some unsuccessful business positions behind him.... weeeeell, maybe the pieces might fall in to place. The rage would be explained.

(i'm allowed to ridicule him coz he's not really the president )

Not cool. He is the president. But we can talk about this at the WAR on Iraq thread.

The point is it has NOTHING to do with the Hulk.

so sorry.

(the hulk has nothing to do with city of lost children tho )

(oh wait, double apologies, i've just realised i've been using the sticky-out-tongue thing as a big grin thing)

i'll touch on the untouchable one on other threads then

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by Beale the Rippe
Off topic (Sorta): I had a conversation with this one guy who thought the action in The Hulk was Ang Lee criticizing the Bush administration for the use of violence. I thought that was funny. Maybe it was one of those "you'd have to be there" things. Oh well. It goes to show how some people try really hard to find a hidden meaning, and sometimes come up with something really stupid.
Kong has seen three Ang Lee films (Hulk, The Ice Storm, and CTHD), and all of them have definitely had political messages. While Hulk doesn't explicitly comment on Bush in particular, there are themes concerning the oppression people put on themselves and the oppresion exerted on people by the government and the explosive consequences that can result from these overreaching types of control. If you missed that, you should really go watch the film again and pay attention to more than the action.

My dear Kong, I have always understood and loved the "themes concerning the oppression people put on themselves and the oppresion exerted on people by the government and the explosive consequences that can result from these overreaching types of control", I don't believe this is in reference to the Bush administration or Iraq.

The person who I had the conversation with believed that:

1) It was directed towards Bush
2) The primary theme of The Hulk was that violence only begets more violence, and that this is criticizing the invasion of Iraq by showing the "spiral of violence" in the Hulk. (His proof was that some of the primary scenes take place in the desert, a "direct reference to Iraq."

Puhlease!

And my simian friend, if you will read what I enjoyed about the Hulk, and what I thought about it, you will see how I clearly favored the characterization over the action. (Not to mention that I loved how it wasn't an action movie).

My dear Kong, I have always understood and loved the "themes concerning the oppression people put on themselves and the oppresion exerted on people by the government and the explosive consequences that can result from these overreaching types of control", I don't believe this is in reference to the Bush administration or Iraq.
It certainly has implications concerning Bush administration policies, but Kong does agree that the movie doesn't directly address Bush.

The person who I had the conversation with believed that:

1) It was directed towards Bush
Its scope is wider than Bush, although he is encompassed to some degree.

2) The primary theme of The Hulk was that violence only begets more violence, and that this is criticizing the invasion of Iraq by showing the "spiral of violence" in the Hulk. (His proof was that some of the primary scenes take place in the desert, a "direct reference to Iraq."

Puhlease!
Thats a stretch. Particularly since it was filmed between March and August of 2002, well before the war in Iraq began. You friend would do better by comparing the atmospheres of pre- and post-9/11/01, and look for commentary there.

And my simian friend, if you will read what I enjoyed about the Hulk, and what I thought about it, you will see how I clearly favored the characterization over the action. (Not to mention that I loved how it wasn't an action movie).
Kong recalls reading that somewhere.

Hope you didn't take the previous post as insulting.

I see what you are talking about, but I don't believe it was commenting on any specific government or collective government. IMO it was merely illustrating a tragedy, and using the theme you described to comment upon how government (etc.) should not be, and what we should work for.....or something to that effect. I'm really tired. If you don't understand what I was trying to say (because it looks like it could get scrambled to me), just post so or PM me and I'll try to explian better when I'm more awake.

Oh and.....
Originally posted by Kong
Hope you didn't take the previous post as insulting.
Worry not. All is cool between the Mad Prophet and his hairy friend.

I see what you are talking about, but I don't believe it was commenting on any specific government or collective government. IMO it was merely illustrating a tragedy, and using the theme you described to comment upon how government (etc.) should not be, and what we should work for.....or something to that effect. I'm really tired. If you don't understand what I was trying to say (because it looks like it could get scrambled to me), just post so or PM me and I'll try to explian better when I'm more awake.
Kong sees the film as a more of a warning than an incisive critique. Ang Lee, IKO, is saying that since 9-11-01 our society's understandable fear has lead to overreaching government policies that have been too willfully accepted by the public, and that we should exert more caution. If we go too far, the safety measures we have been acceptinbg almost blindly could spin out of control.