Mr Minio's Top 185 Films aka I bet you haven't seen it!

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Seeing all the list popping out like snails after rain I decided to finally make my own. It wasn't an easy task, but it turned out to be possible after all.

There's a rule that I can only include one movie per director, so I don't make a list consisting of ten directors including their whole filmographies. At first I wanted to make the list with no mainstream or English-spoken movies, but then I thought it's really stupid, self-indulgent and pathetic, not to mention there are some English language films I wholeheartedly love, so I rejected the idea and probably saved myself from a great amount of hate.

It's really hard to say which film is better, so most of them are there maybe not randomly, but with a little thought put into it, because after all the fact they're there is what counts, not the place they take. I'll include some descriptions as well, but I doubt anybody wants to read me creaming over arthouse stuff, so I'll just include short anecdotes, or quotations.

I've almost forgotten. Why 185 films you'd ask? Because I can! Besides top 30/50/100/250 are too mainstream to me. Oh, OK. Here we go:

185. Hachi: A Dog's Tale

I won't cry, I won't cry, I won't cry... GHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

184. Platoon

"Death, what do you all know about death?"

183. Lethal Weapon Series

"
Anybody who drives around in this town IS suicidal. "

182. Se7en

lust
gluttony
greed
sloth
wrath
envy
pride

181. Pi

I love me some
π!

Yeah, it's me. Mr Minio.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Have seen all those except for Pi. Hachi is one of the most depressing films I've ever seen, it is impossible not to cry if you're a dog lover.

180. Amer

Giallo homage, which has an incredible mood and visuals.

179. Pociąg

Matka Joanna od Aniołów or Pociąg? Hard question. Watch both.

178. Himala

The first and sadly only entry from Philippines.

177. Moon

Possibly the saddest sci-fi ever.

176. The Hours

Ed Harris in his lifetime performance.

Finished here. It's been fun.
This will be interesting, but maybe you could add like one more sentence to each film description because I want to know more about some of this films I haven't heard of before.

175. Das Leben der Anderen

- Shall I gift wrap it?
- No, it's for me.

174. The Station Agent

"It's funny how people see me and treat me, since I'm really just a simple, boring person. "

173. The Big Gundown

Say whatever you want, Spaghetti Westerns are awesome!

172. White Heat

"Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"

171. A Separation

First, but not last Iranian film to show up.

I kid of course. I have seen what kind of movies you are into, an I expect to see plenty of film I have never heard of by directors I do not know. This should be interesting.
There will be a lot you know too.

Have seen all those except for Pi. Hachi is one of the most depressing films I've ever seen, it is impossible not to cry if you're a dog lover.
I can't say I'm a dog lover, but I couldn't stop crying like a baby.

This will be interesting, but maybe you could add like one more sentence to each film description because I want to know more about some of this films I haven't heard of before.
I'll make descriptions longer as I get closer to the first place.

Let the night air cool you off
I like Pi, but it means Black Swan will not show up.

Amer! Hell yeah, somebody else has seen this beauty of a giallo homage!

I love Moon too. The Lives of Others is decent. Se7en is brilliant. Platoon is pretty good.

So far, so good.

Liked or loved every film I watched among these. Plan to watch the others.

I might plan to watch A Separation these days. Also, Moon is quite powerful but the most powerful science fiction movie I ever watched is PMMM the film version.

Only seen Platoon and Seven so far, but this should be quite a ride. Amer looks interesting.

Good luck with the list I'm follow it since I'm sure that you'll have some eastern stuff here.
So far,I've seen about half of your movies and out of those I really enjoyed Se7en and Platoon.Separation was good as well,seems very different and original.ame goes for Moon.
I think Hachi is a lame movie overall but I cried a lot. The Lives of Others isn't a bad movie but I found it boring,should rewatch because I actually like history and spying.
First Lethal Weapon and Pi - I didn't care for them.

Were Moon the best sci-fi, you could write off sci-fi completely as a genre.

Also, you have an entire series of films as a single choice, so your list is already void to me.

Despite that, The Lives of Others, Platoon, White Heat and Se7en are all well worth praise. I'd like to see Amer, too. Your inclusion of it is yet another incentive to see it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Were Moon the best sci-fi, you could write off sci-fi completely as a genre.

Also, you have an entire series of films as a single choice, so your list is already void to me.

Despite that, The Lives of Others, Platoon, White Heat and Se7en are all well worth praise. I'd like to see Amer, too. Your inclusion of it is yet another incentive to see it.
Yeah I hate it when people pick a series of films as 1 choice. It says 185 films but will likely end up at 200+.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
That depends, The Lord of the Rings is officially a series of films but it is actually a single film.
Yea an argument could be made for LOTR because it was all filmed at the same time and is basically a continuous story whereas Lethal Weapon is one successful film with a few sequels on the back of that success.

What's next? The James Bond series?