Lets Talk Football

Tools    

So, the Champions League draw has been made, and some pretty interesting groups have been created (along with that PSG one and that one with Austria Wien).

So, what do you make of it, and how will your team (sorry Liverpool) fare?
I think Arsenal's group is probably the most interesting, and the closest in terms of quality:

Group F: Arsenal, Marseille, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli

With Rafa in charge, Napoli will be wanting to get through the group stages, Dortmund were runners up last year and Arsenal always get past the group stages, so which two will make it? Marseille aint to shabby either.

I'm confident in saying Arsenal will push through. Napoli isn't that good as far as I've seen from them (and they've sold their best player), and Marseille isn't good enough.

Anyone else think Chelsea's formation against Man U was proper weird? There were six guys across the midfield, lots of whom are very attack-minded, but no real striker. Once José gets in a midfield beast and a striker who can knock 'em in, it'll be the same old. ***** works though.

I'm confident in saying Arsenal will push through. Napoli isn't that good as far as I've seen from them (and they've sold their best player), and Marseille isn't good enough.

Anyone else think Chelsea's formation against Man U was proper weird? There were six guys across the midfield, lots of whom are very attack-minded, but no real striker. Once José gets in a midfield beast and a striker who can knock 'em in, it'll be the same old. ***** works though.
I think Napoli have spent wisely and strengthened across the field though. Armero, Mertens, Callejon, Albiol, Higuain and perhaps Reina (if he can recapture his Rafa-LFC form) are all smart additions. Plus like I said they have Rafa, whose European record is phenomenal, I don't think anyone can deny this - he takes European football very seriously and can beat any European side on a day with his smart tactics, he even did it last year with Chelsea.

And I thought playing Schurlle up front was more a statement than anything, saying 'look at me, I need a striker', both teams were always going to be conservative anyway at such an early point of the season, although I think the point will benefit Chelsea more than United, smart by Mourinho.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
On kind of football related news: What even is this.

Reviews

Football, I LOVE football

Soccer: Man U/Portsmouth
Aussierules: Carlton
Gridiorn: Dolphins
MU => me too

Eto'o to Chelsea?
Eto'o is terrible now from what I've seen. He played for Anzhi against Liverpool in the Europa League and he was very very bad. No way Chelsea would sign him on current ability, age and wages.
I know they wouldn't pay anything like the wages he's on now, or even half that, but it feels like an Abramovich buy. I don't think it will happen, I was just throwing it out there.
Well, I might not have thought it'd happen. Now that he's there, the rumour is that Torres will be sold. It makes sense to me, as I can't see Eto'o being any worse than Torres has been.

Kaka has said he wants to move this summer. Bit of a shame he's only given a week's notice. Still, a quick move doesn't sound out of the question. So, where do you think he'll go and what would be the best move for him?

Word coming out of Italy is that United have made a bid of €12m for Daniele De Rossi. I'd love this, but really, is there any chance? Every time I hear someone liked to De Rossi, it seems to last all of a day or two.

One move which might have legs is midfielder Ander Herrera to United, as Athletic Bilboa have confirmed United have made a €30m bid for the player. Will all this be in addition to Fellani or instead of?

As for Fellaini, I think it'd be a good bit of business for United, but I can't understand why we didn't get him when his contract allowed us to get him cheaper? Unless that clause didn't really exist, of course, but its existance was one of the few things that everyone seemed to agree with this summer.

This mornings papers have Arsenal going all out and blowing the lot on Benzema, Ozil and Di Maria, for £70m. Yesterday Ozil was saying he was staying at Real, so think what you will. I can see Real selling and recouping a large amount of the Bale outlay, if that happens in time, but do they all want to go to Arsenal?

I can't see De Rossi leaving Roma in his career, his nickname is like vice-captain or something isn't it, because of Totti? I think if United get anyone now it will be Fellaini, but I don't think they really need anyone. Moyes is just bidding for players to please the fans, he should just stop appeasing them and doing things for the sake of it and say he's happy with what he's got, or be honest that he only wants one player, instead of bidding for loads.

And that's just more bullsh*t from Arsenal I think, I told you guys at the start of the summer that they wouldn't spend anything despite everyone saying 'this summer Wenger has money' and such, and you all said this summer would be different Funny how Spurs are deliberately delaying the transfer of Bale to prevent Madrid selling any players from Arsenal too.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Woo, hatrick!

It's so much like Christmas round Spurs way I keep expecting to wake up soiled and hungover. Loving the first post under the Eriksen announcement on Twunter. (Could be a joke account, but fun either way )

I can't see De Rossi leaving Roma in his career, his nickname is like vice-captain or something isn't it, because of Totti?
I'm of the same opinion, which is why any story about de Rossi moving seems to disappear after a day or two. However, there did appear to be something amiss towards the end of last season.

I think if United get anyone now it will be Fellaini, but I don't think they really need anyone. Moyes is just bidding for players to please the fans, he should just stop appeasing them and doing things for the sake of it and say he's happy with what he's got, or be honest that he only wants one player, instead of bidding for loads.
I'd be happy with Fellaini, but I agree that Moyes shouldn't just buy because he thinks he should to appease the fans. Our midfield really could do with some help, though. Unless we buy some wide players who can beat a man. It appears that Ander Herrera isn't coming.

And that's just more bullsh*t from Arsenal I think, I told you guys at the start of the summer that they wouldn't spend anything despite everyone saying 'this summer Wenger has money' and such, and you all said this summer would be different Funny how Spurs are deliberately delaying the transfer of Bale to prevent Madrid selling any players from Arsenal too.
You're right, he's spent nothing. However, I do think they tried, it's just that, as usual, Wenger dithered and allowed his head to be turned by Suarez and that, along with Napoli getting a gazillion Euros for Cavani meant that Higuaín wasn't coming. At least, that's how I see it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think a record is about to be set for fewest Premier League goals on a Saturday. A few moments ago there were 4 x 0-0 games out of 4 (two games are now 1-0)

If it stays like this and the late game is 0-0 that would be 4 goals in 6 games today. I bet Sky are glad they paid out all that TV money for all the exiting games today. LAWL.

A good point for Cardiff. Add a couple of players to the squad, I've been told we're signing a French defender Catherine and Peter Odemwingie, and we'll be fine. Excellent performance from Kim once again who is having no problems in adapting to the Premier League, and a great performance too from Connolly who has been superb in his last two games after a bad start v West Ham.

I think a record is about to be set for fewest Premier League goals on a Saturday. A few moments ago there were 4 x 0-0 games out of 4 (two games are now 1-0)

If it stays like this and the late game is 0-0 that would be 4 goals in 6 games today. I bet Sky are glad they paid out all that TV money for all the exiting games today. LAWL.
After watching the first game tonight on MotD I knew we were in for a snooze fest. If that was the best game... And, sadly, it was.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!

Other News

1. Spider-man has signed a three-year deal at Stoke, confirming his £3.5m transfer from Sunderland.

2. Iron Man has opted to stay at Newcastle after being given permission to talk to West Brom.

3. Superman is rumoured to be on the move to Manchester United, after they enquired about his availability to Barcelona.

Well looks like Arsene has finally spent some monies and on a good player too, Ozil for 42£ million.

Fellaini on way to Man U and hopefully Baines and Herera too.

Bale saga has finally been wrapped up, interesting to see what happens rest of the day.

Fellaini and Herrera are all but done, according to the people in the know. The last I heard, Baines will not be moving and this has been the case for the last couple of days. Coentrao is said to be staying at Madrid, too.

Kaka has gone back to Milan on a free, by the looks of it.

I think Liverpool may've done some really good business today.

I think Ozil's a great player, just not sure how good a buy he is for Arsenal. It's not where they need strengthening, but he'll improve the team. They're still in for Angel di Maria & Demba Ba, too. I'd think Ba is all but certain if both want it, di Maria probably wants to go, but whether they'll get him or not, I don't know.

There's talk of PSG and Mata, but no one seems to know how serious that is.

38 mins to go and Man U have no significant signing!

If Man U hijack Ozil it would all be worthwhile.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Can't see that happening as it's been confirmed (on the BBC anyway) that he's signed for l'Arse. He'll probably end up playing up front once Giroud gets injured and Sanogo turns out only to be good on Football Manager 2012. At least they've signed a backup/replacement keeper so this window isn't a total farce for Wenger.

As for Moyes...

Yea Ozil confirmed for Arsenal.

This transfer window for United has been a complete embarrassment . It's not so much Moyes but Woodward also.

On a positive note the team is still the same one that dominated the Premiershp last year.