JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

Con Air is a lot of hokey fun. Not my fave action film but good stuff. I really love the cast, Buscemi, Rhames, Malkovich, Cusack, Cage, Chappelle, Trejo... just awesomely eclectic.

I feel sorry for people who can't relax their anus, let their hair down and enjoy a film like that.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I re-watched Con Air recently after it showed up in the 90s countdown. I always remembered it as being a great action film and after re-watching it, it is.

The elements required to make a great action film are really no different to making a great any other genre film. The action is the easy bit - the inclusion of Cusack, Malkovich and Buscemi would be a damn good start to making any film great and it is why this film works. As Deadite said, add in Rhames, Chapelle and the rest and you have a great cast.

Probably the best big budget pure action film I've seen. "Terrifically entertaining" sums it up.

I didn't like Con Air when I saw it. But I saw it at the movies(I hate going to the movies), and I saw it with my wife(it's not her type of movie). I really want to see it again; it sounds great and that was a great review.

I feel sorry for people who can't relax their anus
SC drifts through these parts. You relax too much, he'll slip something unwanted in there.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Thank you Daniel, Gunslinger and cricket for praising the last review or two. And welcome to the thread Sane.

I + repped Face/Off because I read that review, however, I couldn't face reading another review of a Cage film straight away.
Oh well I'm touched then as I know you don't read reviews usually when you don't like the film. Now hurry up and read The Rock review then.

I feel sorry for people who can't relax their anus, let their hair down and enjoy a film like that.
Oh snap! Oh no you didn't! You hear that Brodinski, Deadite just called out your anus! Wait a minute, that doesn't really sound right.

Oh boy this review kind of got away from me! Usually with a review I have an angle to start the review with and then it kind of unfolds from there. Here however I wasn't sure how to start so just jumped about writing bits and pieces as they came to me. It was only when it came time to gather them together and form the review I realised how much I had waffled on for. As a result this is kind of similar to the rambling reviews I usually produce for superhero films

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Marco Brambilla

Written by
Daniel Waters
Robert Reneau
Peter M. Lenkov

Starring
Sylvester Stallone
Wesley Snipes
Sandra Bullock
Nigel Hawthorne
Benjamin Bratt

Demolition Man

Plot - Los Angeles, 1996. Violence and chaos abound on the city's streets. The main instigator of which is Simon Phoenix (Snipes), one of the worst criminals the city has ever seen. There is only one man who can stop him - L.A.P.D. officer John Spartan (Stallone), aka 'Demoliton Man.' And stop him he does, but not without a large degree of collateral damage. As a result both men are sentenced to be cryogenically frozen at the Cryo Prison. San Angeles, 2032. After being revived for his parole hearing Simon Phoenix manages to escape out into what is now a crime free society. Such an apparently utopian existence is completely unprepared however to deal with someone like Phoenix. With the cops at a loss there is but one option; to also revive John Spartan and send him after Phoenix once again. Assigned a partner in the form of Lieutenant Lenina Huxley (Bullock), Spartan not only has to try and catch Phoenix but adapt to this world which is completely alien to him.

Man I had kind of forgotten just how much I loved this film! Demolition Man is just deliriously good fun. As befits the era, the film features all of the over-the-top, anarchic violence you'd expect of the 90s, but it teams it up with a rather wicked,playful sense of humour; one born out of a very witty script which has a strong vein of satire running through it. It's one of those rare films that on the surface appears to be spectacularly silly and mindless, but actually achieves said silliness through a decent amount of smarts. As far as action films go this would certainly have to be one of more offbeat and satirical efforts out there.

You know the phrase “it's PC gone mad!” Well San Angeles really is a world where political correctness has gone wild. It's a world where you can't just accuse someone of committing a crime because “it's rude.” It's a world where anything potentially harmful to you has been outlawed. So that means no cigarettes, no alcohol, no meat, no caffeine, no contact sports, no chocolate, no gasoline, no non-educational toys and not even any spicy food. Oh and of course there is absolutely no foul language permitted. The whole city is littered with machines which detect swearing and automatically issues warnings and fines; machines that Spartan frequently falls foul of. In this world there has not been a murder for 22 years, and a crime wave is constituted as a little bit of graffiti. So when the deplorable Simon Phoenix is unleashed into this world they are completely unprepared for how to deal with him. There's a great scene where a group of police officers attempt to apprehend him but have no idea how to go about it. They make a request for instructions on how to handle a maniac, and when Phoenix begins to brutally resist arrest one of the cops observes that “We're police officers, we're not trained to handle this type of violence.” One of my favourite of the many great lines to feature in this film.

Most films which depict the future with a bleak viewpoint tend to be harsh, violent places presented in complete darkness. Demolition Man goes in completely the opposite direction but shows that even a world without violence or swearing can still be a dystopia, that it can still be a fascist place if it's one person's idea of perfection and everyone else has been rather brainwashed into accepting it without any questions. And even in this peaceful utopia we still have problems and divisions between people. Here we get a real example of the class system. Everyone who has gone along with the ideas of Cocteau lives a privliged life on the surface. Those who would object however are relegated to an existence in the sewers below. Given the derogatory term of 'scraps' they are forced to literally live beneath the rest of society with Cocteau instructing that they be prevented from getting any food in an effort to starve them and be rid of the problem, forcing the scraps to stage a series of daring raids to steal the food they need to survive.

For anyone who doesn't think that Sylvester Stallone can do funny, this movie disproves that notion. While his ventures into purely comedic films may not have been a roaring success, Stallone himself actually is a funny guy. In real life Stallone has always came across as a very intelligent, witty and self-deprecating individual and in Demolition Man he proves that he knows how to play it for laughs. He doesn't just display one setting either. He generates laughs through the classic action hero conventions of one-liners and loud-mouthed swagger, but also through a more dry, measured approach when it comes to his bemused reactions to this bizarre new world and its people. And unsurprisingly he still knows how to kick some serious ass! And opposite him Wesley Snipes is just an absolute hoot as the criminally insane Simon Phoenix, stealing many scenes and threatening to walk off with the whole damn movie. He is completely unleashed to be as crazy as he wants. It really is an enviable task for Snipes; he is given a character where it seems impossible to go too over-the-top. His character actually kind of reminds me of Batman's greatest nemesis, The Joker. It's the same chaotic madman taking joy in mayhem sort of character. Together Stallone and Snipes make for a really quite electric pairing, both of them seemingly having an absolute blast with the characters and the material they have been presented with.

Film Trivia Snippets - Sandra Bullock was not actually part of the original cast. Lori Petty had actually been cast in the role of Lenina Huxley but after a few days of filming she was replaced by Bullock. /// When the film was released in Kuwait it was done with the Arabic title of “Rambo the Destroyer.” With the Rambo movies being very popular it was hoped that it would sell more tickets if they tied Stallone and his Rambo character together in the title. /// The two original choices for Spartan and Phoenix were Steven Seagal and Jean-Claude Van Damme. Van Damme was offered the role of Phoenix but didn't want to play the villain. He agreed to do the film if he could play Spartan but Seagal rejected the offer. /// When Stallone came onboard he wanted the role of Simon Phoenix to be fulfilled by Jackie Chan. Chan refused however as Asian audiences don't like the idea of actors who have always played heroes suddenly playing evil characters. /// During the dinner sequence at Taco Bell Sandra Bullock's dress was made of stones and gems which weighed an astronomical 40 pounds. After the fight scene outside the restaurant her character jumps around in celebration, and the sheer weight caused the dress to start ripping. That's why she is holding her arms down at her sides after Stallone walks away.
I have to admit that I have always been a big fan of Sandra Bullock and I think she is just delightful in this. I find her character, and Bullock herself, to be just so sweet, naïve and adorable. She is both very endearing and very funny as Lenina Huxley, a cop who remains fascinated by the world's violent 20th century past while everyone else just savours its utopian present. That fascination can be seen in several elements and 90s artefacts that litter both her office and her home; her Lethal Weapon 3 poster for example. Oh and I love the moment where she asks Spartan if he would like to have sex in such an unbelievably matter of fact way. And while it's quite a predictable move I also love the running joke that carries on for pretty much the whole film that sees Huxley's attempts at spouting old colloquialisms from Spartan's time go slightly wrong; “you really licked his ass”, “there's a new shepherd in town”, “let's go blow this guy” and “you can take this job and shovel it.” She is utterly charming.

For all its witty satire though Demolition Man still remembers to deliver on the action stakes. This was a first time effort for director Marco Brambilla and I've got to say that he does a very respectable job, particularly in the case of the action scenes which are quite thrilling and are delivered in quite a comic book style. The film actually opens in quite a dark, violent vein with a thrillingly explosive sequence which seems like it is placing us firmly in classic action movie territory before busting out its more tongue in cheek tone. In fact throughout the film the tone has a tendency to fluctuate between the comical and moments that are occasionally nasty such as Phoenix using a man's eyeball as a pencil topper and Phoenix's own spectacular demise. Speaking of violence there's a great little satirical nod to the present with the Hall of Violence at the Museum of History, the only place where weaponry can be found in this brave new world that also includes a preserved Los Angeles block as part of its exhibit. Oh and I love that when Spartan was in his cryo-sleep, in an effort to curb his violent streak he was reprogrammed with a proclivity for knitting. Stallone's sheer disgust at it is great fun.

Both the script and Stallone himself seem very self aware of and play into the fact about how Stallone is perhaps becoming out of touch in the action genre as he approached 50 years old at the time. Though fact that he is still making action films twenty years on now rather dilutes the point! It also takes the opportunity to poke affectionate fun at the genre and the characters that populate it through the eyes of Bullock's Huxley. She observes and takes delight in the classic action movie concept of the one-liner (“The joy-joy way you paused to make a glib witticism before doing battle...!”) and also points out the archetypal characters that the hero can be (“I fleshed you out as a blow-up-the-bad- guy-while-grinning type...but you’re actually the moody-gunslinger-who-will-only-draw-when-he-must type.”) In recent years Stallone has created The Expendables series, films made to playfully rib on the bombastic action films of the 80s and 90s, as well as just being a bombastic action film in its own right. In turns out that he had already kind of done that some 15 years earlier with Demolition Man.

Film Trivia Snippets - At times during the film Wesley Snipes' kicks and punches can have a tendency to appear lurchy and awkward. The reason for this is that in real life Snipes is a fifth degree black belt in Shotokan karate, and his kicks and punches were so fast that they actually blurred on camera. As a result the producers had to ask Snipes to try and reign himself in and slow down his actions. /// In some non-American releases of the film the references to Taco Bell were changed to Pizza Hut as that was a much more recognisable brand in many foreign territories. These changes included voice dubbing and using special effects to alter the logos in post production. /// Demolition Man made a number of predictions about the future which turned out to be true, or at least partly so. One in particular turned out to be slightly disturbing. At one point in the film we see a list of the cryo-prisoners held in the facility. One name on the list is Scott Peterson. In 2005 a man named Scott Peterson was tried and convicted for murdering his wife in Modesto, California.
Even outside of its big issues the film also takes the chance to slip in some extra little satirical asides which may not add much to the main thrust of the story but nicely flesh out the world and make for entertaining points. For example, at one point Spartan and Huxley are invited to dinner at Taco Bell by Nigel Hawthorne's Doctor Cocteau. With Spartan confused at the choice of Taco Bell, Huxley explains to him about the Franchise Wars; a series of corporate battles and takeovers between chain restaurants that left Taco Bell as the sole restaurant chain in the world; therefore every single restaurant is a Taco Bell. Given the demise of so many 'mom and pop stores', the frequency with which big conglomerates swallow up their opposition and the proliferation of a Starbucks on every corner this really doesn't sound all that far-fetched.

And with one of these little asides the film almost proved to be eerily prescient in regards to a certain acquaintance of Sly. At one point during the film Sandra Bullock's character references the Schwarzenegger Presidential Library much to the disbelief of Stallone's Spartan. She explains that “even though he was not born in this country, his popularity at the time caused the 61st Amendment which states…”; at this point Spartan cuts her off, too incredulous to hear any more. Schwarzenegger would of course go on to become Governor of California. That in itself is pretty damn close to Demolition Man's predictions. But it got even closer when in 2003, ten years after the film's release and just shortly after he became Governor, some people began to propose changes that would allow him to run for President. Three senators separately proposed an amendment to the US constitution to allow naturalized citizens to become President. Demolition Man almost pulled off the greatest piece of prediction the world has ever seen!

One of the first things that really struck me while watching Demolition Man again was just how well it's holding up. The film quite clearly had a very healthy budget at its disposal (in fact its $57 million outlay was only $6 million less than the budget of Jurassic Park which was released in the same year) and still looks very good. If it were released today I don't think you'd have a great deal of criticisms thrown its way in terms of its looks. Its special effects are still effective, and its art and set design are very impressive. The design of the actual cryogenic prison facility is very cool (no pun intended) as is the design for the underworld that the so-called scraps reside in. The technology, vehicles, weaponary and techno-gadgetry are all nicely realised. In fact quite a lot of its 'futuristic' technology has actually now come to pass, or at least some version of it; GPS, video conferencing on handheld tablets etc.

One of the things I really enjoy about Demolition Man is just how fleshed out its universe is; it really has built up this world that it inhabits. I've already covered many of its main components but even outside of them there are lots of smaller touches which seem to have been included purely for the fun of it. The way in which people greet and converse with each other is a riot. They sound like a sort of cross between a hippy and a dork as they wish each other “mellow greetings” and to “be well” and “enhance your calm.” We also see this in little technological touches of this futuristic word. The series of futuristic cars that populate the world do a nice job of creating this advanced society. They were actually concept cars supplied by General Motors, some of them prototypes of cars they would release in the future while others never saw the light of day. In total the cars loaned to the production were actually valued at $69 million. There's also the really cool instance where Spartan crashes one of the cars and we see the futuristic safety feature that is curefoam; a hardening safety foam which completely fills the car, protecting the driver from any harm. In the TV series Futurama we got suicide booths, and in Demolition Man we get pretty much the exact opposite - positive affirmation machines. Computers which offer you pleasantries to cheer up your day; “You are an incredibly sensitive man, who inspires joy-joy feelings in all those around you.” And then lastly of course there are the infamous sea shells; their purpose having remained a bit of a mystery for many years until Stallone addressed it during a large interview for Ain't It Cool News. And can I just say....yuck!!!

Conclusion - There may be better action movies out there than Demolition Man. There may be better comedies out there. And there may be better sci-fi flicks out there. But with Demolition Man bringing all three elements together in a delightful blend I don't think there are many films out there which are this much damn fun! You can easily switch your brain off and enjoy the film as a mindless piece of action if you wish, but if you dig a little deeper there is a lot more to enjoy here; you'll find quite a degree of wit and a touch of biting satire on the utopian dream.

I marked Demolition Man at 70% myself. It delivers everything it wanted to and with style... I just didn't get this:
One that doesn’t make sense, is that this utopian future is based solely in one city after the event of a massive earthquake. What about the rest of the world outside? Surely this is the movie’s biggest plot hole.
Nice review though

Demolition Man, (own it) I think its funny, one of my must watch on a rainy day

As you know, I bloody love this film. It came so close to making my list and, on another day, it may well've. I watched this for the first time in ages a few nights ago and, yep, it still works.

That is one long-ass, rambling review, though. I still liked it, but I'm glad I didn't read your superhero reviews if they were like that.

Srsly I LOVE Demolition Man! One of my all time favorite action movies and probably my favorite Stallone movie (if you exclude The Expendables). It really is one of the best of the genre and a favorite of my childhood. And I did not even know they explained the seashells. I just assumed they would scoop poop into the shells and hoped to God you could whip it all away with just three shells.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
writing an in depth post thanking jaydee for the link on his kiss kiss bang bang review and praising said review, voicing how I need to back log to read others and the excitement at seeing a review for, of all things, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry; HUUUGE fan of that movie from my early teens, then joining in on (another) in depth, epic review for Con Air with a few introspective thoughts on a ridiculously fun movie that I enjoy watching, only to have the forum boot me out for idle time and lose it all can be SOOOO frustrating!

So I will be back later to wander through some of the older posts, revel in the snippets and ponder the massive reviews you lay before us
take care, JayDee

You still have not reviewed any Q movies, Jaydee. I am disappointed in you.
So sorry Vicky. I mean after it took you just over two years to find my thread you think I could review a Q film within a week or two of you requesting it!!! Still need a Q, a Y and a Z movie to review

Nice review though
Nice? All that work and all you can offer up is a measly nice?!!!

Demolition Man, (own it) I think its funny, one of my must watch on a rainy day
Glad to hear it nebs. And very glad to see you drop by. Your visits seem to be more and more rare these days. Although I don't know that my run of action films of late is really up your street.

As you know, I bloody love this film. It came so close to making my list and, on another day, it may well've. I watched this for the first time in ages a few nights ago and, yep, it still works.

That is one long-ass, rambling review, though. I still liked it, but I'm glad I didn't read your superhero reviews if they were like that.
Indeed I am aware of your love for the film. It's been great seeing the love for this film since I joined this board. Until I joined I didn't really know anyone who loved it, or had even seen it. And not to give anything away but I think there's a decent change of it making my new list.

Awesome movie. If I had made most of my 90's List with my heart instead of my head, I'd have voted for it.
Well it didn't make my list either although I certainly voted with my heart as opposed to my head. I just voted for my 25 favourite films of the 90s, whether they had a chance of making it or not. This was the first time seeing Demolition Man in quite a few years and would have come very close to making the list had I seen it before the list

got that ready rock?
Eh....ok? Perhaps this is clear to everyone else and I'm just having a brain fart, but what the hell are you talking about?

And don't worry Brodinski. Just one or two more action films and then I may be switching back to some more intelligent, layered films that have issues and themes etc. You know, films that are boring in other words! Oh and thanks for repping that Demolition Man review. It was quite a surprise to see you repping and I assume taking the time to read that review out of all the others considering some of the films I've done of late - Miller's Crossing, Misery, Schindler's List, Donnie Brasco etc; films that are highly thought of and I know for a fact you're a fan of at least one or two of them.

writing an in depth post thanking jaydee for the link on his kiss kiss bang bang review and praising said review, voicing how I need to back log to read others and the excitement at seeing a review for, of all things, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry; HUUUGE fan of that movie from my early teens, then joining in on (another) in depth, epic review for Con Air with a few introspective thoughts on a ridiculously fun movie that I enjoy watching, only to have the forum boot me out for idle time and lose it all can be SOOOO frustrating!

So I will be back later to wander through some of the older posts, revel in the snippets and ponder the massive reviews you lay before us
take care, JayDee
Oh you've got my sympathy mate, hate when that happens!!! Anyway thanks for the kind words ed. And yeah Dirty Mary Crazy Larry was a fun little film. I think I may actually have underrated it slightly as while some films disappear from your mind right away something about that has stuck with me a little bit since watching it.

Oh and if you're interested in looking at what reviews I've done back on the first page there is an index of every review I've ever done along with links to the reviews.

And I did not even know they explained the seashells. I just assumed they would scoop poop into the shells and hoped to God you could whip it all away with just three shells.
Well you're in the ballpark. Following Stallone's explanation i-mockery.com made this handy set of instructions -

And don't worry Brodinski. Just one or two more action films and then I may be switching back to some more intelligent, layered films that have issues and themes etc. You know, films that are boring in other words!
True dat.

Well you're in the ballpark. Following Stallone's explanation i-mockery.com made this handy set of instructions -

THAT IS ONE OF THE MOST DISGUSTING THINGS I HAVE SEEN! And my turds are way too big for those piss ant seashells!