Daniel and Weeman's Movie Commentaries

→ in
Tools    

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
You should post up the review you did of it ages ago, the one you first did for SH, it's good, and now relevant
Are you sure?

Reviews

MISS VICKY'S REVIEW

John Cusack is hot. John Malkovich and Steve Buscemi are awesome but not hot. Nicolas Cage is awesomely bad. Colm Meaney looks constipated.

And HE'S GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS is stuck in my ****ing head AGAIN.

Also, John Cusack is hot.

RATING (Shamelessly copied off Daniel)

My Enjoyment:

Rating:

John Cusack:
++++++

BEST MOMENTS

John Cusack being hot.

SEXY CELEBRITY'S REVIEW

I did not watch Con Air. But I did read through the thread some.

Miss Vicky could not STOP talking about John Cusack and men. But that's okay - she's like me. She also took over this thread when she's not even billed in the thread title - it's "Daniel and Weeman's Movie Commentaries" - they left Miss Vicky OUT. Yet she managed to contribute the most posts in here.

I just ate a chicken sandwich with some cheese on it.

RATING

This Thread:

John Cusack:

Nicholas Cage:

Chicken w/Cheese Sandwich:

BEST MOMENTS

My posts.

I added our thoughts to the brand new commentaries index, this means we are not spammers, these are serious critical reviews.

I was gone for like three hours, dafuq happened here
You missed out on the fun of watching Con Air. Pick a film we can all watch, and make sure you are here for the next one and you can join in

I was gone for like three hours, dafuq happened here
We challenged Sexy's hegemony over commentaries and succeeded.

Also, this was my Con Air review which I wrote when I had just about turned 17:

Con Air

The first time I watched Con Air was with my older brother. I sat down ready for an action-packed film, and he said to me, “Is this the one with Leslie Nielsen?”.

Con Air, is anything but “Airplane!”, which is in a class of its own. The film is an action-adventure with sprinkles of comedy, but without Leslie Nielsen (sorry, no ‘Shirley’here). Instead, it stars Nicolas Cage playing a “Nicolas Cage type” character named Cameron Poe, an ex-army ranger who gets sent to prison for killing a man whilst brawling with him and his two drunk friends to protect his wife. Whilst in prison he makes friends with another inmate known as Baby-O (played by Mykelti Williamson), a diabetic inmate with a particular fondness of pink coconut balls. The production team behind Con Air could have used any foodstuff they wanted, but they used pink coconut balls. I’m really not sure why, are they some sort of metaphor? At least I don’t think so. They probably just really love those coconut balls. Where was I? Oh yes, diabetic friend. Anyway, Cage gets up to many activities in prison, such as “handstand press-ups”, origami and learning Spanish. Much like any other inmate at a maximum-security prison would do. Eventually, the time comes when Poe becomes eligible for parole, and so is sent on a flight home with many other prisoners, who are being transferred to a newer prison, unlike Poe. As you would expect, chaos soon ensues when the prisoners soon take control of the “Jailbird” plane. Among these prisoners are Cyrus ‘The Virus’ Grissom, brilliantly played by John Malkovich, a 39-year old who has spent 25 years of his life inside, making him fourteen when he first entered prison, which hints that he isn’t a very nice gentleman, and “Johnny-23”, played by Danny Trejo.

This plane journey is littered with gags (who doesn’t like, “I said, put the bunny back in the box”), and some decent action scenes, along with the introduction of new inmates at a stop along the way. These new inmates include Garland Greene, played by the ever-brilliant Steve Buscemi, a serial killer whom gives new meaning to the song “He’s Got The Whole World In His Hands”. I give great props to the writers and Buscemi for creating a serial killer whom I sympathise with. The scene(s) with Garland and the young girl is possibly the most creepy, harrowing, yet hilarious moment in the entire film, with the close second being Nicolas Cage’s obsession with keeping his daughter’s present, a toy bunny, safe.

Despite my biased love towards Cage and Con Air in general, there are issues with the film. The formulaic plot makes it hard to say that this is a great movie, and the action scenes, although well executed, are rather tedious and leave me wanting more variety. John Cusack, on occasion, looks stiff and uneasy in his role as Marshall Vince Larkin, and Cage doesn’t help with his constant pining for his wife and child like a clichéd teenager, despite being the best actor ever to have lived (I joke, I joke, although I still love him). There is also a reason why this film won a ‘Razzie’ for ‘Worst Reckless Disregard for Human Life and Public Property’ which, unsurprisingly, is because Con Air shows a reckless disregard for human life and public property, by crashing into Las Vegas. Not near Las Vegas, into Las Vegas. A city which also seems to be the favourite place for all of Nicolas Cage’s characters to end up.

This is not a film that’s intended to be taken seriously. Its exaggerated plot and wide use of stereotypical criminal characters (the ‘good’ prisoner, the cross-dressing feminine inmate, the criminally insane serial killer) are not supposed to be ground-breaking accomplishments. The film does what it sets out to do, and does it well. Maybe Simon Pegg’s interpretation in How To Lose Friends And Alienate People wasn’t as left-field as some make out, although, quite clearly, wrong.

SEXY CELEBRITY'S REVIEW

I did not watch Con Air. But I did read through the thread some.

Miss Vicky could not STOP talking about John Cusack and men. But that's okay - she's like me. She also took over this thread when she's not even billed in the thread title - it's "Daniel and Weeman's Movie Commentaries" - they left Miss Vicky OUT. Yet she managed to contribute the most posts in here.

I just ate a chicken sandwich with some cheese on it.

RATING

This Thread:

John Cusack:

Nicholas Cage:

Chicken w/Cheese Sandwich:

BEST MOMENTS

My posts.
The thread title only has me and Weeman because I know 100% that all the commentaries will be me and him (me and him know each other in real life, he came up with the idea for us to do this together, it has potential), Miss Vicky was great and I agree she deserves equal if not more credit for the first film, but I don't know if she'll be able to participate in all commentaries, hopefully she can, the more the merrier. I am not sure whether I should add your thoughts to the INDEX or not, hmmm.

I don't know what index you're talking about. My post was just a joke -- like all of my posts.

Dan, make sure the next one we do, one of us loves, and one of us hates. I'm not sure what films could apply mind

No, don't add me to that. I didn't watch the movie.

Ash_is_the_Gal wants me to have an index like that on my main page, but I don't wanna do it.

You missed out on the fun of watching Con Air. Pick a film we can all watch, and make sure you are here for the next one and you can join in
I'm down with whatever you guys pick as long as it's bad enough to make fun of

I'm impressed how some of you people can type so much and post even youtube videos while watching a movie!

Looking forward to the next one!

Do another one! Once you start, you can't stop. Do something I can watch and join in for.

I'm down with whatever you guys pick as long as it's bad enough to make fun of
That sounds like The Room, something Weeman suggested earlier. I think a hilariously bad film would be good. Maybe something like Plan 9 because Weeman tells me to watch that often, and you mentioned you loved that and Ed Wood Skepsis.

But yeh, bad films sound good, but films that we have split opinions will be cool too, and won't just be silly comments all the way through but maybe some good discussion