Lets Talk Football

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
*WARNING* Vainglorious Spurs post *WARNING*

God dammit, I'm not used to this much action in 'transfer season'. Normally Levy just stares at people for the first few months. Loving the Paulinho & Chadli swoops - both look dead promising

Bit annoyed we seem to have missed out on Chiriches, as he looks interesting too. (Purely going by Youtube vids he seems to be very much in the Vertongen mold. So, no idea if he's super-solid at CB, but definitely versatile, with all the pace, tricks & goals and that. I do like an eccentric defender me ). Ultimately not that miffed to see Caulker go - the lad is solid now and will def improve, but come on, where's the Gallas pout or BAE buffoonery? (Plus we have Dawson if we need to apply an earnest forehead to events). I hear AVB is aiming for a reduced squad with more versatile players over the next few years, so that might explain the thinking here.

Soldado just looks like VDV pushed up the pitch to me - a battler with a belting shot, good balance, and the knack of getting into holes, but not high on nuance, hold up or passing. That's the impression I'm getting anyway. Still... if he get into a 20-goals-a-season habit... welcome

As for Bale... most of the signs suggest this is mainly frenzied paper-talk from RM at the mo. The stuff that weighs against them nabbing him seem to be: they still owe us for Modric (apparently), they've got some impressive debts so 90m euros upfront is def beyond them, Bale's done a fair bit of self-branding in the new Spurs kit already, Levy's stated he's def not for sale as with Modders-2011, and by all accounts he hasn't done a Modders-2012 and asked for a move. Think we're safe for the mo, so long as the latter doesn't occur. So here, have a grand-standing picture of the lad himself... (in another country )

Plus this pic just sums silly season up... (replace Villa with whoever you like, we've got a new 50m war chest apparently )

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm thinking about cancelling my BT Sport sub ... even though it's free (and I seem to be even getting ESPN which has ... errr ... wall to wall Aussie Rules) and has Baker & Kelly.

Tim Lovejoy is presenting a show.

Sorry BT - I can put up with Michael Owen as a pundit. I can put up with regular live egg-chasing and Red Bull Extreme Sports. I can put up with live semi-pro football (aka the SPL).

But you've got Tim Lovejoy presenting a show.

Tim Lovejoy.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Wish Man U would ****ing buy someone already!

'Bale Curveball Flies in Face of Seedy Shenanigan Shocker!'

'Footballer loves his mum but denies existence of chimp DNA!'

'Real Madrid to buy Iraq! How long before they invade the USA?'

---

F*ck me there's some proper shite written during silly season. Good to see Spurs finally get their warpaint on in public to slap the silliness away for a bit. The silence always makes me nervous, even if it makes sense not to to dignify the Marca muppetry with a response. (Reporting the Modric quotes verbatim as Bale's? Beyond shoddy )

Does sound like he's moved into full 'Berbasulk' mode though now, as one 'ITK' put it. His bum injury has migrated to his foot at any rate.

Despite some of the guff pushed out by my beloved Guardian recently, in terms of unattributed Marca-regurgitation on a near hourly basis, did enjoy this take on Real's finances & Financial Fair Play

Latest chatter is that they're offering up the readies, but in 5 year installments. And that's not enough to prise the boy wonder away.

---

In other news, we've got no feckin CBs. Genius (Still trying to free the Romanian prisoner though it seems. May have to resort to some form of Mission Impossible fly-by in Joe Lewis's private jet at this rate)

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Help!!!! I've joined a fantasy Football league and need help with strikers. I've gone with Soldado and Bony, but Ime having trouble with a third, who you go for???.

At the minute ime think Giroud, anyone think he will get alot of game time?.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Rvp

If Defoe stays at Spurs, he's worth a punt at the start of the season for the first 2-3 months. Never does it after December/January, though, so get shot by then even if he's banged in 20. Which he won't have.

Obviously, depending on how much you have to spend, RvP, Suarez, Rooney (if he's sorted), Sturridge 'should' be starting at Liverpool and so might be worth thinking about, along with Michu (again) and Remy, (if he settles/stays fit), if he's cheap Arouna Kone might be worth a punt. I'm not sure about the two new City forwards, simply because I don't know how much time they'll be getting, with Aguero and Dzeko still there. You'd like to think that Ricky van Wolfswinkel will do well, just for the name alone and, don't forget, there's a bloke called Anelka at WBA who might start well.

Also, don't forget, it helps to have at least one defender who takes penalties.

Jesus Christ, Wenger better start ******* signing some players. We've just had a yardsale of dead wood-type players, but now it's time to buy some quality. I'm talking Suarez, Gustavo, Gundogan, a guy who can play center and fullback, and a goalie.

That's never happening.

By the looks of it, Gustavo is coming over, for the typical, moderate amount Wenger loves to spend on a player. Suarez is still a riddle. Gundogan is a dream, but I'll soon wake up. Defensive, I'd like to see Richards come over, but we'll probably end up with some mid-level kid like Williams. And we'll probably be stuck with that piece of Polish rubbish. We could've got Cesar to come over, but noooo, let's stick with a guy who's proven sh!te on numerous occassions, and was bested by *gulp* Fabianski last season.

Not to mention that we're only a couple of injuries away from having a midfield crowded by Ramsey, Eisfeld and other mid-level players that don't make their fellow players better in any way, shape or form.

Even if we add Gustavo, Suarez and the usual French dab of upcoming stars who fade out before they even had the chance to shine, I don't see us making 4th next season. Spurs is really strengthened, Man U are fine if they keep their team together, Chelsea got Schurle and De Bruyne will blossom into the true beast that he is, and Man City will be up there as well.

Still, could be worse. Like Liverpool.

Gustavo should be a good buy. I can't believe Wenger's not gone for a keeper. As you might remember, I don't think you've had a good keeper since Seaman, but even those who told me Jens was quality can't say that about Szczesny. Even if he was 'the future', he's not at a level for a top 4 club currently.

Has Chamakh actually made the move now? A quick look at Arsenal's wiki page says there's still an awful lot of that "deadwood" still there.

Downing is on his way to West Ham for £6m. Well done, King Kenny. Now what I'd really like to see is Andy Carroll knock in 15 this season, with more than a few of them curtesy of Downing's left foot.

Eto'o to Chelsea?

Eto'o is terrible now from what I've seen. He played for Anzhi against Liverpool in the Europa League and he was very very bad. No way Chelsea would sign him on current ability, age and wages.

I know they wouldn't pay anything like the wages he's on now, or even half that, but it feels like an Abramovich buy. I don't think it will happen, I was just throwing it out there.

Unless someone pulls out a really big surprise, I don't see any big moves happening now.

Supposedly we're still going hell for leather in Spudville. A mixture of splurging before fair play beds in and using Bale's draw to get a better brand of midfield monster (other positions are available apparently ). Certainly it seems we're trying to avoid a Berba scenario of getting nothing in except cash. Seems the 50mil loan from J Lewis is expected to be paid back by Bale one way or another. IE: Selling this year / selling next / lucking out completely with a big run of success that sees him stay and pays for itself. (I admit this last one seems a stretch )

We're poss not aiming at AAA signings, but seems we're still after a high level CB and some creativity upfront. Whatever the case, this looks set to be the most insanely spritely window for a while

Gustavo should be a good buy. I can't believe Wenger's not gone for a keeper. As you might remember, I don't think you've had a good keeper since Seaman, but even those who told me Jens was quality can't say that about Szczesny. Even if he was 'the future', he's not at a level for a top 4 club currently.

Has Chamakh actually made the move now? A quick look at Arsenal's wiki page says there's still an awful lot of that "deadwood" still there.
Well, the fact that Fabianski performed better than Szcesny did before his injury and was then immediately replaced once Szczneeznzeny was fit again, shows Wenger has absolute faith in him. Wouldn't surprise me if Fabianski left.

We had a chance to buy arguably the best goalkeeper in the league in Mignolet, but are now likely stuck with a subpar goalie.

And Chamakh is off. Good riddance.

Napoli just entered the race for Gustavo.

Supposedly we're still going hell for leather in Spudville. A mixture of splurging before fair play beds in and using Bale's draw to get a better brand of midfield monster (other positions are available apparently ). Certainly it seems we're trying to avoid a Berba scenario of getting nothing in except cash. Seems the 50mil loan from J Lewis is expected to be paid back by Bale one way or another. IE: Selling this year / selling next / lucking out completely with a big run of success that sees him stay and pays for itself. (I admit this last one seems a stretch )

We're poss not aiming at AAA signings, but seems we're still after a high level CB and some creativity upfront. Whatever the case, this looks set to be the most insanely spritely window for a while
Season completely depends on Bale staying which is still very much up in the air, still 18 days of the transfer window to go, if he stays, we maybe will have a go at the title, if not top 4 will be difficult, but agree with you, the window has been very good so far.

Fantasy footy team:

As a Liverpool fan, Suarez staying, Cissokho signing and talks with Willian all makes for positive times, if we get Willian I would be absolutely delighted.

Gustavo signed a 5-year deal for... Wolfsburg. So, our season starts in less than an hour and so far, we've missed out on every possible rumoured transfer target and lots of our quality players are injured.

Wenger got's to go. He doesn't buy *****, we lack squad depth, and have been duped every single season with promises of big signings and spending. This old fool claims he only wants to sign players who will make the team better, whereas NONE of our summer targets - who btw would've actually made our team better - have signed. Meanwhile, Le Poof makes close to £8 million a year. The cvnt must think we were born yesterday.

I ******* love you Mignolet. Great performance for most the part but Liverpool don't half make it difficult for themselves, almost had a heart attack near the end. Great performances from Sturridge and Aspas in the first half, then Coutinho, Lucas, Toure and Johnson, then obviously Mignolet. Now Cardiff need to get off to a win

The People's Republic of Clogher
I ******* love you Mignolet. Great performance for most the part but Liverpool don't half make it difficult for themselves, almost had a heart attack near the end. Great performances from Sturridge and Aspas in the first half, then Coutinho, Lucas, Toure and Johnson, then obviously Mignolet. Now Cardiff need to get off to a win
Did you watch it on BT?

I tuned in early and got confronted by not only Tim Bloody Lovejoy but also Matt Friggin' Dawson. Missed Baker & Kelly yesterday too, must see if it's repeated.

Coverage of the match itself was decent, as was the game.

Did you watch it on BT?

I tuned in early and got confronted by not only Tim Bloody Lovejoy but also Matt Friggin' Dawson. Missed Baker & Kelly yesterday too, must see if it's repeated.

Coverage of the match itself was decent, as was the game.
Got a stream of it, not got BT. But it was a stream of BT, yes. But yeh game was really good and I enjoyed the coverage - I think I managed to miss Lovejoy and Dawson, although I dislike Michael Owen I enjoyed his commentary, seems he is a Liverpool fan still and is very knowledgeable about the side.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
As long as Chelsea win tomorrow, and Arsenal continue to lose, this weekend has been a success

Reviews