Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Re-watched these two last night and today

Evil Dead and still has a rating of

Avengers

Oz The Great And Powerful
I think Id of rated it higher if id gotten to watch it in one sitting rather than in 3.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2580150/

6.3/10.

Thought it would be a comical hogwash. Turned out to be quite good. Liked it very much.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I watched Dredd and The Truman Show last night, and I have to say that I enjoyed both of them thoroughly. What Dredd ended up lacking in emotion was made up for a million-times over in-terms of style and pzazz whereas The Truman Show's high-concept story was enough to keep me entertained throughout the majority of the film. A decent performance albeit typical performance from Jim Carrey, and the rest of the cast brought it as well.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I always try to watch movies with a friend of mine every week or so, and usually, what we do is we pick out one movie each and agree on another movie to lead as the "main-event" of the evening. I chose a movie called "The Go-Getter," which ended up being nothing too special albeit a movie with Zooey Deschanel, who almost always is enjoyable. He chose a movie called "The Suicide Room," a Polish movie, and with little surprise, we ended up agreeing that it was godawful. We didn't watch a third movie because it was too late, but I still plan to watch one or two more movies tonight.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I watched Dredd and The Truman Show last night, and I have to say that I enjoyed both of them thoroughly. What Dredd ended up lacking in emotion was made up for a million-times over in-terms of style and pzazz
Dredd is brilliant

Nine Dead

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Shutter Island

When we look back on this film in years to come, its not going to be seen in the "Scorsese's best work" group, as Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, etc, currently are. That being said, its still a very good film. Scorsese explores issues of morality and freedom, perhaps asking us the question, "are we truly free?"

The characterisation of Teddy (L-Caps) is not the strongest, and in a film where all the characters are pretty important, you'd expect it to be stronger. However, the visuals are striking, perhaps some of the best visuals I've ever seen in a Scorsese film.

The film gets
, but misses out on anything higher, in my opinion, because some moments don't pack the required punch, especially in the "emotional" scenes, where some of it felt just a little contrived.

Still, would recommend.

Reviews

Satantango
My attention span was stretched beyond it's breaking point in this monstrous movie of 450 minutes. As result I think that I couldn't fully get it but I noticed that each of the individual sequences were very powerful: Bela Tarr makes each take last on average 170 seconds, compared to 3.5 seconds for the average hollywood action movie and 12 seconds for the average art house movie, these ultra long takes introduce an enormous force and purity into the movie, making each scene look very real indeed.

The scenes where a cat is slowly tortured and killed (for real ) are very powerful and painful to watch. Other scenes are very interesting as well and all have a strong sense of realism that makes the experience feel deeper than nearly every other movie I have watched.

It is rather different from Tarkovsky in that the hungarian director's work is closer to modern art while Tarkovsky's work is more like classical (19th century or earlier) art in tone. A Tarkovsky movie feels like a Schubert symphony while a Tarr film feels more like modern experimental eletronic music -or black metal. Truly a work of modern art, this is a movie that everyone will enjoy (like black metal) but it is also a movie that nobody that sits through it's 450 minutes will ever forget and it is worth watching just for that reason. One wouldn't understand the possibilities of cinema without watching some Tarr, since there isn't anything else like it.

Satantango
My attention span was stretched beyond it's breaking point in this monstrous movie of 450 minutes. As result I think that I couldn't fully get it but I noticed that each of the individual sequences were very powerful: Bela Tarr makes each take last on average 170 seconds, compared to 3.5 seconds for the average hollywood action movie and 12 seconds for the average art house movie, these ultra long takes introduce an enormous force and purity into the movie, making each scene look very real indeed.

The scenes where a cat is slowly tortured and killed (for real ) are very powerful and painful to watch. Other scenes are very interesting as well and all have a strong sense of realism that makes the experience feel deeper than nearly every other movie I have watched.

It is rather different from Tarkovsky in that the hungarian director's work is closer to modern art while Tarkovsky's work is more like classical (19th century or earlier) art in tone. A Tarkovsky movie feels like a Schubert symphony while a Tarr film feels more like modern experimental eletronic music -or black metal. Truly a work of modern art, this is a movie that everyone will enjoy (like black metal) but it is also a movie that nobody that sits through it's 450 minutes will ever forget and it is worth watching just for that reason. One wouldn't understand the possibilities of cinema without watching some Tarr, since there isn't anything else like it.
Well, I really dislike black metal, but I loved this film.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The scenes where a cat is slowly tortured and killed (for real )
When reviewed, Tarr said the cat didn't get hurt during this scene and it was only a gimmick, as well as the rain and wind blowing the trash - it's all artificial, but looks very real.

Tarr film feels more like modern experimental eletronic music -or black metal.
In terms of music, I'd rather compare him to dark ambient or drone music. These genres may be hard to listen to and grasp for average mainstream music listener (accordingly mainstream film watcher), but once you get into it, you discover its sheer brilliance and supposedly boring and monotonic music reveals a lot of things you didn't hear before.

Well, I really dislike black metal, but I loved this film.
You probably didn't find your kind of black metal yet. Black metal has lots of subgenres that differ a lot. Try some blackgaze with a lot of dream-like vocals juxtaposed to harsh screaming or growls (I pressume you don't like shrieking vocals thus you don't like bm, but I may be wrong). Try some of these artists: Agalloch, Alcest, Les Discrets, Amesoeurs, Gris, Deafheaven, Lantlôs, Cold Body Radiation.

Some of them have clean vox on certain tracks/albums.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Beautiful Sunday (1998) - Tetsuya Nakashima

This is the third Nakashima movie I've seen. He's quickly becoming a favourite - largely due to every film being completely different but still somewhat fascinating. Confessions was a beautifully dark movie about a teacher taking revenge on the students responsible for her daughter's death whilst Kamikaze Girls was a much lighter look at the friendship between a girl obsessed by 18th century France and a biker. Beautiful Sunday is a very slow and sparse look at the residents of a unit block who all seem disconnected from each other and society. Didn't like it as much as the other two but still good.

7/10

Close Up (1990) - Abbas Kiarostami

Fantastic movie. Kind of a documentary, kind of a drama. True story with the actual people involved recreating the events mixed with real court room footage. I started off being a bit bored but the characters, the story and the emotion just grew throughout the movie. By the end I was completely wrapped up in the story.

10/10

I didn't liked it. The animation was ugly and the movie was boring. Although I can see why some people like it because it's very artistic.

I only rank it 4 out of 5 because I didn't understood all the film, but I still had a great time watching it. It's definitly a movie I will rewatch and probably end up liking more. Giving a movie that I didn't understand the ending at all 4 out of 5 is pretty impresive. The music in this movie is beautiful