The Official Criterion Collection Reviews Tab

Tools    

Waa, I've got Autumn Sonata on DVD in my Ingmar Bergman collection but it's one of my all time favourite films and would rather like that on Blu-ray, especially Criterion!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
And To the Wonder as well.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Les Visiteurs du Soir
Certified Copy
Marketa Lazarova
The Spirit of the Beehive
Repo Man
Something Wild
Solaris (updated version)
Gate of Hell
Ballad of Narayama

Yeah I'm broke now

Posted this in another thread, but why not here to.

I was planning to sit this one out but ended up ordering thes two today

Close-up (Blu-ray)

The Music Room (DVD)
[/quote]

I wouldn't call them masturbatory exercises, but I guess my key problem with his films could lie in the fact that I simply don't share his intense love of nature. Yes, the images are great, but what's he saying? It's all style and whatever substance there is buried beneath all of it. For him, painting a pretty picture on screen comes first; for me, it's the ideas that are most important. We seem to have opposing sensibilities when it comes to film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Days of Heaven is very easy to relate to. It's basically Biblical in its simplicity and power, but unlike The Tree of Life. It builds to that final half hour. Watch Days of Heaven again with the sound turned up. It won't be boring.

I wouldn't call them masturbatory exercises, but I guess my key problem with his films could lie in the fact that I simply don't share his intense love of nature. Yes, the images are great, but what's he saying? It's all style and whatever substance there is buried beneath all of it. For him, painting a pretty picture on screen comes first; for me, it's the ideas that are most important. We seem to have opposing sensibilities when it comes to film.
Malick actually has a PHD in philosophy at the MIT. So he should be able to put some serious philosophical ideas on a movie. There never was a film director was so overqualified as Malick's is in terms of philosophy.

Maybe he does put philosophical matters in, just subtly.
Depends how you read the images and their juxtapositions. That's where his philosophical explorations are to me. I don't think he's a god or anything but at least it's somewhat different.

No doubt he has something to say, but I think he's too enamored with the images to really give those statements the proper focus they deserve.