The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Now why would you do that? Just call everyone amateurs, post 50 billion pictures, drop the mic and walk away. That's how you forum, bitches.
Well, it was a joke , because people here were only discussing recent mainstream games. Now I am remembering all the strategy and RPG videogames I played after I had my geekness questioned. I like listing these, anyway. Isn't this a videogames tab thread?

If you were a *true* geek, you'd have Mass Effect 1, Morrowind and the first two Fallouts up there. And VTM Bloodlines.
I have played all these four except VTM Bloodlines. I listed only the ones I played in the last 18 months, these others I had played earlier:

Morrowind

Boring, rather like Oblivion but at least it doesn't have level scaling, so I give it a

Oblivion

Level scaling means it is a worthless RPG, one of the worst I ever played, I give it a

Mass Effect

One of the best examples of story telling in computer games. Also released for consoles, though I don't play console games, since strategy games are all made for the PC anyway. I give it a

I had already tabbed the first two Fallouts and Fallout Tactics, and I haven't listed the mods I had played as well. For the sake of completeness, another RTS game I played, the 2006's Star Wars RTS game:

Star Wars: Empire at War

Found it rather mediocre, still decent though but nothing very good. A
- game.

Also, Guapo - Haven't you played any of the Sierra City builders? Some gamer you are!
I have played them all and I have listed them all here. Haven't you read my posts?

Anyway, how many of the 135 strategy or role playing PC games I have listed here have you played? You said you have played most of the first 9 I had posted that I have played recently.

And 1404. And the first Anno, who's name escapes me.
These 3? I have played 4 of the Anno's, 1602, 1503, 1404 and 2070. I forgot to include 1404 in my previous list:

Anno 1404

I give it a
, very standard Anno game, though the new settlement type adds a layer of complexity to the game.

I also played recently another Tropico game:

Tropico 3

In fact, worse than the first Tropico game, I though it was still decent but the 3D graphics don't look very good, specially considering it is a 2009 game.

I get it though - You're old. Not as old as me, I fancy - I don't see Elite in your list.
I am not very old but I like playing old games. They are cheap as well.

The art of video games had it's golden age between 1995 and 2005. Since 2005 piracy has been eating the PC games industry and as a result developers are focusing their energies on games for consoles and on refining existing formulas instead of creating new ones.

So I tend to play games that are several years old. That's why you see games from 1996 and 1997 on my tab. I wasn't playing these games in 1996 and 1997. I played some of these games in 2001 and 2002, though.

Anyway, it's not common for people here to watch movies from the 1920's, even though they weren't born in the 1910's?

But seriously, tell us why you like certain games instead of just listing them.
All right. I will add descriptions on these posts.

The People's Republic of Clogher

Just look at this screenshot:

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
Pft. You really should have played it with the HD texture mod:

You are standing in an almost neon green coloured open field, west of a white house who's shadow is cast in a different direction to those of the trees surrounding it.

Texture mods were in their infancy back then, as you can see.

Those were the days though. I remember having to write in to magazines (with no guarantee of being published, natch) if I got stuck in a game none of my friends had, and as I had a Spectrum I had a lot of text adventures.

Only these 3? I have played 3 of the Anno's as well.

I am not very old but I like playing old games. They are cheap as well.

The art of video games had it's golden age between 1995 and 2005. Since 2005 piracy has been eating the PC games industry and as a result developers are focusing their energies on games for consoles and on refining existing formulas instead of creating new ones.

So I tend to play games that are several years old. That's why you see games from 1996 and 1997 on my tab. I wasn't playing these games in 1996 and 1997. I played some of these games in 2001 and 2002, though.

Anyway, it's not common for people here to watch movies from the 1920's, even though they weren't born in the 1910's?

All right. I will add descriptions on these posts.
I honestly don't think the piracy thing has as much to do with it as a lot of developers claim. I think the biggest reason for the decline in PC gaming (but it's on the up apparently, in a significant way) was the time and money it takes to come up with a quality port, compared to coding for a couple of consoles which will have no changes in hardware for at least half a decade.

Companies are waking up though - Look at the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex 3 and Sleeping Dogs ports to name but three.

I get it though - You're old. Not as old as me, I fancy - I don't see Elite in your list.
Does that mean you're a fan of Chaos II and Rebel Star II on ZX Spectrum?
I still think those are two of the greatest strategy games I've ever played. Brilliance in simplicity.

Does that mean you're a fan of Chaos II and Rebel Star II on ZX Spectrum?
I still think those are two of the greatest strategy games I've ever played. Brilliance in simplicity.
Nope, sorry. I was more into stuff like Heavy on the Magick, The Great Escape and Knight Lore on the Speccy. When I got my hands on Elite it nearly blew my tiny mind - You're plonked in the middle of space with practically nothing and the rest is up to you.

I got an Atari ST for Christmas a few years later and practically all it was used for, for a good 6 months, was to play Elite.

I'm hoping against hope that Dangerous lives up to 30 years of expectations.

Molyjam

Basically, a contest for game developers to ... well ... develop games based on the ramblings of the parody Twitter account Peter Molydeux. This year's jam is using quotes from the real Molyneux...

Meta? My brain's close to exploding.

I have a theory that Molydeux isn't actually a joke account. It's Molyneux.

A system of cells interlinked
The lady is away for the weekend...so it's time to play The Witcher II!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Molyjam

Basically, a contest for game developers to ... well ... develop games based on the ramblings of the parody Twitter account Peter Molydeux. This year's jam is using quotes from the real Molyneux...

Meta? My brain's close to exploding.

I have a theory that Molydeux isn't actually a joke account. It's Molyneux.
Woo! Love that his stuff is parody with a purpose

The lady is away for the weekend...so it's time to play The Witcher II!
Well?

It's a beautifully realised world but the first boss fight (the swamp monster thing) is the most frustrating thing in the whole game.

The Krayan? I went down a couple times, but after Dark Souls, I just patiently try to work a strategy out and then take him down. The QTE tripped me up once or twice, but he wasn't too much trouble!

WARNING: "The Witcher 2" spoilers below
The key was getting Quen up so you could take a hit if you made a mistake. Then drop and Yrden. The timing worked out so that when I was done slicing the tentacle off, Quen would come down and my vigor would refill so I could do it all over again. He almost got me right near the end when I was running up the pillar, but I had Quen up so I was able to absorb the slap. I just got back up and ran up for the final blow.

Awesome game, and I love the overall vibe. This game is less of a hand-holder than most, and I like figuring things out as I go along. Also, it seems like the choices I make actually (gasp) mean something! I am courting the red-head at the moment. I usually go for the witchy, dark-haired lady when given the choice, but she has a funny hat!

I don't think you have any option but to go with Triss - Not read the books though.

Witcher 1 had a lot of casual rumpy pumpy but there's less in 2, possibly because the first game's only big complaint was its immature side. I didn't mind it but, then again, I was brought up on Sword & Sorcery stuff and saw Boorman's Excalibur at far too young an age.

Just wait until chapter 2 - The world's worst (Northern) Irish accents!

Yep, best I've seen in quite a while. I know npcs are really no more interactive than in, say, Skyrim but the world they inhabit is so believable that you don't notice.

Not a big fan of the UI but that's small spuds when the game is as good as this.

Yeah, took me a while to get used to the UI, but I am used to it now.

Fought that bald chap last night, and he took a while! Finally got a method down and was able to get by him eventually.

He's a big lad, isn't he?

I'd have liked a Mass Effect 2 Genesis (without Phil Collins fortunately) style retrospective for those who haven't played the first game - Quite a few seeing as Witcher 2 is on 360 and Witcher 1 isn't - but there's not too much you need to know beyond that Geralt has amnesia, Triss is his laydee and Zoltan & Dandelion are his best mates.

The whole thing being (unreliably) narrated by Dandelion, even Journal entries, is a nice touch.

Yeah, I got the feeling I should know who those guys were when I met them in Flotsom. I was getting a little chuffed off during the fight, as the guy just seemed to be a more powerful version of myself with spells that worked twice as well. It was just a matter of getting the timing down and spamming uh...force push.