The Devil's Backbone

→ in
Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Has anyone else seen this? It is a wonderful film.

I'll get to describing it tomorrow. I'm going to bed now. I just wanted to start the post before I forgot.

I saw it a few months ago on DVD and thought it was awesome. Even if it is subtitled.

Another absolute gem for Guilmerro Del Toro that is on par with his finest CRONOS

A moody, atmosphere filled psychological, supernatural thriller that delivers. With brilliant Cinematography, a well paced script and stellar acting all combine to make one of the best modern horrors of the last 10 years.

A must see for fans of intelligent horror and definetly fans of Del Toro- with the exception of Blade II everything else he has done is brilliant.

Mimic was great, but not exactly brilliant.

I loved Blade 2. It was a great action film.

I'd rate them in this order:

The Devil's Backbone/ Cronos
Blade II
Mimic

All great films though.

Be sure to check out his next film: HELLBOY in 2004.

Hey "beale..." have you seen his finest film CRONOS (9/10) an enthralling thriller with loads of atmosphere and a very creative story.

I rank his films like this:

CRONOS 9/10
DEVILS BACKBONE 9/10

MIMIC 7/10- A average thriller that could have been improved with a less cliched finale after such deftly handled cinematography and following thru on some ideas the US usual;ly backs away from (eg: The kids)

BLADE II 6/10- Im a collector of the comic, but both have fell short for me. Better than the first (Not saying much) but still no where near reaching its potential. A few nice shots cant save a movie with a script as dull as this.

Originally posted by Beale the Rippe
Mimic was great, but not exactly brilliant.

I loved Blade 2. It was a great action film.

I'd rate them in this order:

The Devil's Backbone/ Cronos
Blade II
Mimic

All great films though.

Be sure to check out his next film: HELLBOY in 2004.
Yes "beale" has. He thought it was a great vampire film. THE MAD PROPHET LOVES FEDERICO LUPPI! (check out Cronos and The Devil's Backbone for some of his great performances, well actually , for his greatest performances).

Beale is also pleased that someone else has seen and really enjoyed del Toros films.

I read somewhere that Mimic was cut up by the company, and that del Toros final film was much different. I hope to some day see a directors cut if this is so.

The only thing I disagree with you is on Blade II. I'd give it a ***1/2, or at least a *** out of ****, (or a 8 out of 10), but I guess that all boils down to perspective.

I am hoping that his next film, Hellboy, (based on the comic book series of the same name) will be of the quality of Cronos/TDBB.

G. del Toro comments on the film, saying that it is a personal as TDBB and has the action quality of the better parts of Blade II (which were well done action scenes).

Here is a link to the Hellboy Forum, which GdT himself sometimes checks out and answers questions about the upcoming Hellboy:

http://boards.sonypictures.com/hellboy/

Check it out.

I saw this a while back and immediately ordered it on DVD afterwards, truly exceptional film. Loved every moment of it.