Movies That Are Underrated.....

Tools    

I don't know what you're talking about, that's a highly acclaimed movie that I want to watch, but the whole Spike Lee name on it turns me off.
Yeh it's highly acclaimed but you don't see a lot talking about it, I think. Anyway Donnie I was kind of the same as you, Spike Lee comes across as arrogant and a bit of a d*ck so I was put off, but watched it finally the other day and I found it really great, very powerful and although relatively straightforward leaves a lot for the viewer to think about.

Totally agree. In fact, that's the best acting I've seen out of Jolie so far. Hopefully she'll be good as Maleficent in the Sleeping Beauty reboot.
Well before that i only knew her as a sexy babe. But she definitely does know something about the profession she is in. She has a few good movies. One she did when she was very young. Cant remember the name!
Maybe its just her image, directors prefer to portray her as a Lara Croft rather than a plain and simple single mom!

El Verdugo

Lola

The Lost Weekend

In no particular order:

1.) The Hit (1984)
2.) Secret Honor (1984)
3.) Zodiac (2007)
4.) The Long Good Friday (1980) (Here in the states anyway)
5.) The Getaway (1972)
6.) The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)
7.) Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
8.) The Perfect Host (2010)
9.) Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)
10.) The Roaring Twenties (1939)
11.) In the Loop (2009) (Again, here in the states)
12.) Blow Out (1981)

I know that The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, and Collateral are all pretty popular movies, I just feel that they don't get the appreciation they deserve.

^The Perfect Host is a film I've been wanting to see.

Though it's not really a horror film, more of a black comedy, I think you'll love it. David Hyde Pierce is amazing in it.
There are quite a few non-horror films that I like

return to paradise
the war
primary colors
the count of monte cristo
the quick and the dead
the Darjeeling ltd
8 seconds
Depeche mode 101
beyond borders
dragon fly

A movie that is definitely underrated is "The trouble with Harry", a jewel of hitchcock

^ I adore that film from Hitchcock.

A lot of these films I talk about a lot and have maybe even posted in this thread, but anyway...

The last one I know is critically acclaimed but audiences seem to rate it as one of Scorsese's worse for some reason. White Men Can't Jump is perhaps the most under appreciated film on this forum, I have never seen anybody mention it once, it really is a great film even though it might not like one. To be fair Death Proof is well rated by some on this forum, and I am beginning to think Kill Bill is Tarantino's most underrated on this forum. Rango and Killing Them Softly are appreciated quite well critically, but in my opinion both are pretty overlooked and are fantastic little films.

Stardust Memories (1980)

A lot of people misunderstood this Woody Allen picture when it came out and therefore it failed to be seen as the masterpiece it truly is. It seems to get a little more praise lately, but certainly not enough, in my opinion.

After Hours (1985)

This kafkaesk dark comic masterpiece is not really underrated, but definitely UNDERSEEN! Seriously, see this brilliant Scorsese film. It's worth it.

Blow Out (1981)

Well, this film is a little gem, in my opinion. It's arguably De Palma's best film and it has one of the most haunting endings I've ever seen. Somehow it isn't appreciated that much anymore.

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

The critics weren't crazy about it and I can't understand why. This film has style, inventiveness, good comedy and a HILARIOUS performance from one of Hollywood's most legendary actors of all time, Paul Newman.

The Two Jakes (1990)

This film is no Chinatown, but it's still a great film! It's doomed to stay in its predecessor's shadow forever, but it should be seen as a stand alone film, which just happens to be a sort of sequel to one of the best movies of all time. Jack Nicholson directed it very tastefully. This film deserves more respect than it gets now.

Frantic (1988)

The plot may not be flawless, but this is one of the most brilliant atmospheric films I've ever seen in my life. Polanski is a master in creating lugubrious and yet stylized moments. This film is one of those moments.

Intolerable Cruelty (2003)

In my opinion, this is one of the best comedies of the 21st century so far, but people don't seem to like it for some reason.

Out of Sight (1998)

It is loved by critics, but this film doesn't get the praise it deserves anymore (especially from the wide audience). I won't be surprised if it doesn't make the MoFo '90s list either. I still think it's one of the freshest, sexiest and most entertaining crime films I've ever seen.

Get Shorty (1995)

This film is SO MUCH FUN! It puzzles me why present audiences don't enjoy it as much as I did. It's only a 6.8 on IMDB, for god's sake, which is not good compared to a lot of other films.

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
Death proof is quite underrated than their are some great movies that I find under seen ,films like Clockers,the dear hunter,sixteen candles and 5 cm per second.

I love Tarantino, his movies are plain pure insane fun. And I do like Death Proof. But come on, it's not THAT good, really. In short, it lacks direction, Tarantino does mood changes very well, but that big switch in the middle of Death Proof threw off badly. I still like it, and now I'm in love with Zoë Bell. But it's not that great, especially in comparison to Tarantino's other stuff.

I'll add Shyamalan's filmography. Unbreakable, The Village, Lady in the Water, Signs to a lesser extent. The Happening, that one isn't that great. I did not watch The Last Airbender. Nor After Earph.

I love Tarantino, his movies are plain pure insane fun. And I do like Death Proof. But come on, it's not THAT good, really. In short, it lacks direction, Tarantino does mood changes very well, but that big switch in the middle of Death Proof threw off badly. I still like it, and now I'm in love with Zoë Bell. But it's not that great, especially in comparison to Tarantino's other stuff.

I'll add Shyamalan's filmography. Unbreakable, The Village, Lady in the Water, Signs to a lesser extent. The Happening, that one isn't that great. I did not watch The Last Airbender. Nor After Earph.
The sudden change in direction half way through is very much deliberate though. The first half is meant to feel like a cheap, sleazy exploitation movie, lots of sexy woman, evil villain etc. then the second half is meant to be the opposite, the strong empowered woman fighting back and taking on someone who turns out to be a coward.

Intolerable Cruelty (2003)

In my opinion, this is one of the best comedies of the 21st century so far, but people don't seem to like it for some reason.
I've not seen this film since its theatrical run, but I do recall thinking it was intolerably dull.

I've not seen this film since its theatrical run, but I do recall thinking it was intolerably dull.
Yeah, a lot of people didn't like it and I can see why, but I feel they don't give it enough credit for what it actually is.

I thought it was a very clever tale about truth and love.
The Coen Brothers brilliantly mocked the ridiculousness of what marriage and especially divorce sometimes is reduced to in present society. This film shows what life should actually be about in its own quirky, seductive, entertaining and above all screamingly funny way.

If you didn't think it was funny or if you didn't feel it had anything interesting to say to you personally, then I can see why you wouldn't like it.

I got connected somehow and instantly fell in love with it. It may help that I'm a big fan of George Clooney and Catherine-Zeta Jones, though.