The Official Criterion Collection Reviews Tab

Tools    

^ Is that the DVD or Blu-ray of Repo Man, if it's the DVD, does the blu-ray also come in that special packaging instead of a normal amaray box?

Holy crap awesome August releases.

Seconds
The Earrings of Madame de...
To be or not to Be
The Big City
Charluta
Eclipse Series 39: Early Fassinender

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
^ Is that the DVD or Blu-ray of Repo Man, if it's the DVD, does the blu-ray also come in that special packaging instead of a normal amaray box?
It's the DVD. Blue-ray has the same packaging, here's the link, http://www.criterion.com/films/28051-repo-man.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Definitely going to get my hands on a copy of this sometime soon, especially with the insanely awesome packaging, both inside and out

Just ordered these two because they are going for about £13 on Amazon at the moment, so including postage it comes to about the same price as they would be in the Barnes and Noble sale, so getting them now instead of waiting, plus they will get here faster via Amazon because Barnes and Noble take forever to ship to the UK.

Very happy:

So, first of all, I noticed there were a couple of comments regarding cover art, and I'd just like to say that Vampyr has one of my all time favorite covers.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the Criterion movies that I've seen so far.

Dazed and Confused - It had some fun moments, but was clearly not meant for my demographic. I didn't find it to be particularly memorable. 4/10

Rosemary's Baby - I watched this for the first time before it became part of the collection, and was blown away. I already said this in another post, but I knew the ending to this film going into it and it still affected me, raising some serious goosebumps. 9/10

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - This was the first actual Criterion Collection DVD I bought, since it was the most widely distributed and I always like to get as many special features as possible. And it provided a great introduction for me. Some found it boring, but I was completely engrossed from the beginning. It even took me a while to figure out that little Benjamin Button was entirely CGI. 8.5/10

House - I first heard of this film while watching a review by The Angry Video Game Nerd, and wanted to see it ASAP but thought I would have a hard time finding it. I felt so lucky when I found it sitting there at Barnes and Noble. In fact, I believe this was the first Japanese B movie I ever watched, predating my views of Tokyo Gore Police or Mutant Girls Squad. 8/10

Jigoku - So far, this is my favorite of the Criterion films that I've seen, and it's easily one of my top three favorite Japanese horror films. Even though I'm not religious, the story affected me on an emotional level. For just a brief moment, it made me fear hell. And that's the highest compliment that I can give to a movie like this. 10/10

Vampyr - As much as I love the cover art, this is one of my least favorites of the collection. It has an interesting style and I can enjoy it for what it is, but it's not a great film by any means. The essay included in the DVD case even states that it's not great. I did love the story Carmilla, but that's not going to affect my score of the movie. 5/10

Equinox - Another film that isn't great, but the low budget special effects provide some decent eye candy, and the corny dialogue is entertaining. 5.5/10

Cronos - While I didn't find this to be as strong as Pan's Labyrinth or The Devil's Backbone, it was still a good story with some genuine thrills. 7/10

When Horror Came to Shochiku - Unfortunately, three of the movies included in this pack were boring and forgettable, but Goke was entertaining enough to make it worth buying for me. The story had me invested from the start, the special effects were dated but cool to look at, and the lines were overacted to hell. So, it was a solid B movie. My rating is for Goke alone. 7/10

I also recently bought Brazil and Naked Lunch, which I haven't watched yet but I'll be sure to share my thoughts on them here when I do. Man Bites Dog, The Blob, The Game, and The Vanishing are all films which I need to get as well, at least off the top of my head.

Just ordered these two because they are going for about £13 on Amazon at the moment, so including postage it comes to about the same price as they would be in the Barnes and Noble sale, so getting them now instead of waiting, plus they will get here faster via Amazon because Barnes and Noble take forever to ship to the UK.
Like the Badlands there. Haven't seen it in years, but it's a solid Sheen vehicle. He had some really memorable roles back then.

I bought Badlands yesterday, too, during that sale. I've never seen it -- blind buy.

^Terrence Malick's only great movie. Hope you enjoy it.

Gave into the Amazon criterion sale... Here's what I got

I was considering getting homicide but went with his more acclaimed work.

&

as usual both are blind buys, I need to start buying more of the films I already love. Once Persona gets a good edition for a decent price it's coming, but for now I still don't own my number 1 movie. Same with Eraserhead.

^ The original Insomnia is fantastic, hope you enjoy it. I think that's the first ever Criterion DVD I got when I was over in America, from a second hand shop.

I'm still waiting for my Criterions to come from America, takes some time to get to the UK, hurry hurry!

I'm thinking of buying the following Blu-ray Criterions if still in the $19.99 price when I'm next online:

Medium Cool
Ministry of Fear - only $14.99 at the moment on Blu-ray
Monsieur Verdoux

Here are the September releases for the Criterion Collection.

La Cage Aux Folles
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
Slacker
Autumn Sonata
3 Films by Roberto Rossellini starring Ingrid Bergman

Yeah, it's too entertaining.
No, I love the movie, but I felt that CC was more for films that aren't really available or have terrible releases, but La Cage aux Folles dvds that I've seen are great. What could they do besides touch it up a bit?