JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

Bridge Over the River Kwai is probably one of the best five war films ever made. Everything about that film is great, and your review certainly highlights its magnificence greatly.

I gotta ask though, there's some films you rated even higher. First Blood and Man on the Moon come to mind. Do you really think those films are better than BOtRK? I mean in terms of technicalities, acting, soundtrack, cinematography, set pieces,...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think those are bad films at all, but tbh, if you compare them to BOtRK, it's a no contest imo.

Also, I know we've had our differences in the past (and will continue to have them, because are tastes differ), but your thread here is hall-of-fame worthy. Almost as awesome as my Best of the Year-thread .

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Shane Black

Written by
Shane Black

Starring
Robert Downey Jr.
Val Kiler
Michelle Monaghan
Larry Miller
Corbin Bernsen

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

++

Plot - Harry Lockhart (Downey Jr.) is a petty criminal on the run from the police after a botched robbery attempt. In his attempt to escape he stumbles across a film audition and unwittingly lands the part of a private detective in a new Hollywood movie. Flown out to LA, he is teamed up with a real private eye for the experience. The investigator in question is Gay Perry (Kilmer). While attending a showbiz party, Harry meets up with an old childhood friend in the form of Harmony Faith Lane (Monaghan), now an aspiring actress. Later, on an apparently routine case with Perry, Harry finds himself embroiled in a dark and mysterious tale when a body falls into their laps. And then Harmony's little sister turns up dead of an apparent suicide. Harry is having a hell of a time in Hollywood.

I consider Kiss Kiss Bang Bang to be one of the absolute overlooked gems of 21st century cinema. One of the most underrated films of the 00s, and most certainly one of my favourites. A dark, gritty noir-comedy it is full of action, laughs and a decent detective story. It also doesn't take itself dreadfully seriously; a lot of the time it has tongue placed firmly in cheek while giving a knowing little wink to the audience. I couldn't call it a spoof however, it's way too good in its own right for that. So we'll go with a smart, knowledgeable homage.

It certainly feels like there is more than a trace of Sunset Boulevard in the film's DNA. Just as with Sunset it uses the classic noir template to satirically skewer the workings of Hollywood, presenting LA and the film scene as this sleezy, degenerate place where the only thing more f*cked-up than the people who reside there, are the parties that they throw. I love the scene where Downey attends a Christmas party whose entertainment is provided by some bizarre performance art; namely half naked individuals locked in cages and glass boxes, dressed up in various Christmas themed outfits including a slutty Virgin Mary and a naked woman dressed as a reindeer complete with hooves and antlers. I imagine it's the kind of Christmas party Lady Gaga might throw! Harry's fish out of water bemusement at the ridiculous excesses of Hollywood is a treat to behold. And his speech about girls in LA is priceless. While through the presence of Monaghan's aspiring actress, the film is able to take plenty of swipes at the film business and its treatment of aspiring actors; how it just casts them aside once they've passed their prime or in the case of Harry, misleads him purely as a ploy to cast Colin Farrell. Indeed the story even opens in a similar fashion to Billy Wilder's 1950 classic; the camera underwater, shooting upwards to the obscured figure of our antagonist as he launches into a narration that will explain how he ended up here. So yeah, kind of like Sunset Boulevard; a contemporary, expletive-laden Sunset Boulevard.

The humour on show is a bit of a mix. While it largely veers towards the very dark and offbeat, it also has a tendency to deviate off into the realm of slapstick. The laughs are generated mainly as a result of Shane Black's cracking script which is overflowing with wit, invention and sharp one-liners. It presents Kilmer and Downey with dialogue that just drips off the tongue and they certainly make the most of it, with their back and forth banter being one of the film's absolute strong points. It's not all about the dialogue however with the film also setting up a number of set-pieces and visual jokes, though admittedly they may not be to everyone's tastes. For me the absolute epitome of these sequences has to be the Russian roulette scene and Harry's dreadful grasp of maths! You'll know what I'm taking about if you've seen it. The film's only slight misstep perhaps comes in the form of the film's post-modern narration which is provided by Downey. While it does contribute a number of laughs throughout the running time, I do feel that occasionally it comes off as trying just a little bit too hard to be 'cool.' Just occasionally.

Film Trivia Snippets - Originally the film had the rather brilliant title of “You'll Never Die In This Town Again” /// In the early stages of production Hugh Grant and Benicio del Toro were considered for the lead roles. While Johnny Knoxville was actually set to star as Harry Lockhart before being replaced by Robert Downey Jr. /// Robert Downey Jr. was still in the early stages of recovering from his problems with alcohol and drugs, and as a sign of solidarity Val Kilmer refused to drink a single drop during the entire production. /// The phrase 'kiss kiss bang bang' originated in the 1960s as overseas slang for James Bond films, coined either by Japanese audiences or an Italian journalist. The moniker proved so popular that John Barry actually recorded a title song for Thunderball titled “Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang” but the producers dropped it at the last minute. It was popularised by film critic, Pauline Kael, who used it as the title of her 1968 book of reviews. She chose it as the phrase was “perhaps the briefest statement imaginable of the basic appeal of movies.”
Having been a pioneer of such films in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, who better to recognise and send up the conventions and clichés of such fare than Shane Black. With the likes of Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout and The Long Kiss Goodnight he had regularly delivered stories that lurked in dark shadows but were still able to deliver a series of thrills and laughs. So while he knows his way around this type of tale, he also knows how to send it up. So he creates a parody of the buddy-cop movie, and makes Kiss Kiss Bang Bang a movie which knows it's a movie; complete with breakings of the fourth wall, manipulating the action on screen and a self-conscious commentary on the ways of such films, such as the studio's desire for a happy ending which sees numerous individuals return from the dead, even Abraham Lincoln! Black had also proved over his career that he was possessing of a great talent for writing dialogue, and based on his work up to this point, had you been going to draw up a shortlist of writers ideally suited to tackle the noir genre; and the sharp, hard boiled, mile a minute dialogue it entails, then he would have most likely been right up there at the top of the list.

And while he may be poking fun at the genre and the conventions of film in general, he actually does deliver a very strong mystery in its own right, complete with all the requisite twists, turns, red herrings, bluffs and double bluffs you could ever want. Black clearly mired himself in the works of Raymond Chandler and the like, with each day given its own title, each taken from titles of Chandler novels - “Trouble is My Business”, “The Lady in the Lake”, “The Little Sister”, “The Simple Act of Murder” and “Farewell, My Lovely.” While he may have had a lot of experience of the genre as a writer, as a first-time director Black deserves a lot of credit for how he handles the action. The film goes out on a strong note thanks to an excellently conceived action sequence that comprises of car crashes, shoot-outs and a runaway coffin. It's not merely a great piece of entertainment to close out the film however, it is also an emotionally engaging sequence, putting the characters in peril and making us care about them.

Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer make for a tremendous double act, their chemistry and interplay responsible for so much of the film's enjoyment. It was the best performance that either actor had given in years. With his sharp delivery, quick wit and sly persona Downey really does feel like a perfect fit for the noir genre. And it doesn't require much of a leap to get from Harry Lockhart to Tony Stark; the character that really completed his career resurrection. They share the same kind of arrogance and the same flaws, with Harry just being a poorer, more twitchy version. It's also not hard to see the film and Downey's character as an attempt at making a personal amends. When Harry is admitting to his criminal past and talking about how he always messes things up, you do feel for a minute as if he has dropped this whole acting charade and is really just being himself, laying himself bare. It's a great, hilarious showing from him. Though Kilmer runs him very close in terms of laughs. He's exceptionally entertaining as Gay Perry, a very forthright and to the point individual, very comfortable and up front with his sexuality. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang helped set Downey on the road to his eventual comeback as a superstar. It's just a shame that Kilmer didn't follow suit. In fact what the hell did happen to Kilmer? I feel it's been years since I've seen or even heard about him. Michelle Monaghan also impresses as Harmony, and while I've never particularly found her to be so previously or since, but she is damn sexy in this. The scenes with her wearing her little Santa outfit with the red fishnet stockings?

Conclusion - I find that Kiss Kiss Bang Bang works on a few different levels. It entertains as a delightfully dark comedy, intrigues as a noirish mystery, bites as a Hollywood satire, delights as a buddy flick and works as a deconstruction of the genre. Oh and a couple of final thoughts. The film is further heightened by a great jazzy score from John Ottman, and an immensely cool animated title sequence in the vein of vintage Saul Bass. To this day I feel that it still remains a bit of a cult gem; hopefully one day it will grow to become a much wider appreciated film. I just love it!

Oh, I thought they were fantastic. Without a doubt some of Carrey's best.
I also have The Majestic in my stack, which I have yet to watch. If you've seen that movie, is it any good? I'm a big fan of the director.
Liar Liar I used to really love but watched it so much when I was younger that I think I've kind of killed some of my love for it. Dumb and Dumber however I still absolutely adore! I have seen The Majestic but not for a long while so I remember very little of it. Actually been meaning to revisit myself of late. Other great Carrey flicks I love - Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine, I Love You Phillip Morris, Cable Guy, Bruce Almighty etc etc

Bridge Over the River Kwai is probably one of the best five war films ever made. Everything about that film is great, and your review certainly highlights its magnificence greatly.

I gotta ask though, there's some films you rated even higher. First Blood and Man on the Moon come to mind. Do you really think those films are better than BOtRK? I mean in terms of technicalities, acting, soundtrack, cinematography, set pieces,...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think those are bad films at all, but tbh, if you compare them to BOtRK, it's a no contest imo.

Also, I know we've had our differences in the past (and will continue to have them, because are tastes differ), but your thread here is hall-of-fame worthy. Almost as awesome as my Best of the Year-thread .
Bridge on the the River Kwai?!!! Man alive you're behind the times! That was back on the first or second page was it not? Don't even remember a thing of what I wrote. And thanks for the compliments on the review. Nice to know you're still floating about

Well as I've said a few times before, when it comes to the rating it's a mix of and trying to find the balance between how good the film is and how much I personally just liked/loved it, but for the most part it does lean towards just my personal feeling. I think Rodent still rates his stuff on different elements (certain percentages for direction, acting, writing etc) bu for me it really is just a gut feeling. After I watch a film I ask myself what seems a reasonable rating and just throw it out there. And I'll admit they certainly aren't the most reliable or scientific of ratings. QUite often later on I'll look at them and think they should either have been slightly lower or highter.

Which is why I have plenty of inferior films rated above excellent films. BotRK is a tremendous film but it was the first time I had seen it and wouldn't say I deeply loved it right away; that may change with repeat viewings. However films like Man on the Moon or even some of the Jean Claude Van Damme films which I rated higher, are films I've seen numerous times (with the first time being when I was quite young) and as such I've built up a great affinity for them. I would not say they are better films by any means, but they are films I enjoy more and which mean more to me.

Our tastes differ in that I actually have some! But thanks man. Very kind of you to say. Even if you did have to thrown in the little 'almost as awesome' in regards to your thread. Which reminds me that I have been meaning to go throught that for absolute ages. Don't know if I'd quite describe it as hall of fame worthy but yeah not too shabby at all. That's me nearly at 50 pages and I've posted 160 reviews. And while they may tend more towards the mainstream (certainly compared to someone like Mr Minio) I think I've thrown in a little bit of variety over the time as well with some more obscure films, some cult flicks and a small dose of world cinema, both contempary (Lives of Others, Oldboy) and classic (Rashomon, Throne of Blood)

Liar Liar I used to really love but watched it so much when I was younger that I think I've kind of killed some of my love for it. Dumb and Dumber however I still absolutely adore! I have seen The Majestic but not for a long while so I remember very little of it. Actually been meaning to revisit myself of late. Other great Carrey flicks I love - Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine, I Love You Phillip Morris, Cable Guy, Bruce Almighty etc etc
I love The Cable Guy. It's one of Jim Carrey's most underrated movies.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
3 super reviews of 3 of my favourite movies, Die Hard, Man on The Moon and The Truman Show. Glad you found them all worthy of top or nearly top marks.

Special mention should be given to the character "Tony Clifton" from Man on the Moon. One of the funniest and greatest side characters in ANY movie and I defy anyone to say otherwise.

"Oh yaaayyyyyyy, I drive a Taxxiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" and " I need this place like a need a shotgun blast to the face".

Of late I've been feeling rather burnt out by my epic rewatch marathon for my new favourite films list. At times I feel I've been sabotaging my enjoyment of these films by over-analysing and critiquing them, and trying to work out the rankings which has been driving me crazy. And then trying to write up about them. So I decided to take a break and go with a bunch of films I'd never seen before, mostly unchallenging fare. So daft comedies, mindless action and trashy cult flicks were the order of the day. Me being me however I couldn't go without writing nothing about them so here are the first set of micro musings. There have actually been a couple which unexpectedly inspired a fuller review, one for positive reasons, the other not so.

Micro Musings

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Steve Barron

Starring
Lenny Von Dohlen
Virginia Madsen
Maxwell Caulfield
Bud Cort
Don Fellows

Electric Dreams

+

Only in the 80s! This film just oozes so much 80s-ness from every pore that as the film finished I looked down and I found myself somehow wearing legwarmers, and discovered my hair had styled itself into a mullet! It's really daft stuff but in quite a cheesy, endearing kind of way. Very much an updating of the Cyrano de Bergerac story for the technological age. I imagine the film was capitalising on a fair degree of ignorance about computers at the time because even today some of the stuff the computer seems capable of is pretty far-fetched. And that's before it even gets its magical upgrade. Very often the film resembles the kind of cheesy 80s pop video that would have dominated MTV at the time. Both Von Dohlen and Madsen put in some quite likeable showings to create a decently crafted romance, even if they are shown up by the computer of the piece. Best thing about the film though would certainly have to be the its soundtrack of cheesy 80s pop and power ballads from the likes of Culture Club and Heaven 17. The absolute highlight though being the classic “Together in Electric Dreams.”

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Iain Softley

Starring
Johnny Lee Miller
Angelina Jolie
Matthew Lillard
Fisher Stevens
Renoly Santiago

Hackers

A really kitschy and overblown look into the hacker subculture, but one I found to be unashamedly entertaining. I certainly wouldn't say it's an especially great film but I did think it was quite a lot of fun. It's a film packed with really outlandish characters, none more so than Fisher Stevens' villain of the piece. With his facial hair, flowing leather jacket and skateboard he felt like one of the vampires straight out of The Lost Boys. The film has got to be one of the most recent films that I've ever found to be really quite dated. With its leather-heavy fashion, technology that now looks decidedly retro and the whole hacker subculture in general there is no way you could mistake this for anything other than a product of the 90s. It's the same when it comes to the look of the film. If Electric Dreams was reminiscent of music videos of the 80s, then Hackers looks a lot like a rock music video you'd likewise find on TV, this time in the 90s. I've got to say that I've never really subscribed to the adoration of Angelina Jolie but man oh man is she sexy in this film! With her character's rebel attitude and her short pixie-style haircut, I found myself for just about the first time falling under her spell.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
John Singleton

Starring
Mark Wahlberg
Tyrese Gibson
Andre Benjamin
Garrett Hedlund
Terrence Howard

Four Brothers

-

I found this to be a really solid revenge actioner, one that actually feels immensely like an old-fashioned western just updated and moved to the inner city. Its convoluted storyline allows it to hit upon just about every cliché of the conspiracy thriller - dirty cops, corrupt politicians and monstrous gangsters. And while it rarely brings anything new to the table for the genre, Four Brothers did do a few things really well. I felt it did a nice job utilising its location to create a distinctly Detroit movie. The film's soundtrack embraces the music genres that defined the city, namely motown blues and rock. It also makes use of both the city's harsh climate, and the social problems that plague its streets to help flesh out the story. And the other element in which I felt the film really succeeded was in building the relationships between the four brothers of the piece. While none of the performances are truly stunning they are all strong and believable, and together they create a really nice chemistry and camaraderie between the characters, convincing me of the bond between the characters. Oh and an extra bonus was the surprise of seeing Sofia Vergara in the film. I had never seen in her anything outside of Modern Family and kind of assumed that was her first foray into film and TV.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Angela Robinson

Starring
Sara Foster
Jordana Brewster
Meagan Good
Devon Aoki
Jill Ritchie

D.E.B.S.

Ok, I know this may not be a particularly good movie, but damn if I didn't have a really good time watching it. It's basically a spoof of spy films, particularly Charlie's Angels, and at times reminded me of the daftness of the 1960s Batman show and film. Right from the start I found myself falling under its charms. I loved the way that the film just delivered a massive exposition dump for its opening. Most films would take 20 to 30 minutes to set up the story and its characters, DEBS accomplished it in a 30 second montage! While the film gave me quite a few laughs, mostly from its stupidity but also the occasionally inspired moment, what I really enjoyed about the film was its lesbian romance between Jordana Brewster and Sarah Foster. As opposed to everything else which is played for laughs in a broad and over-the-top manner, the romance is actually played completely straight (no pun intended). There's no 'wink wink, nudge nudge' business going on with it, it's done completely earnestly and I actually found it to be really quite adorable and touching. And I just found the central idea of having a master criminal whose only desire in life is to find love to be really rather sweet. And damn Jordana Brewster is pretty sexy in this as said master criminal, Lucy Diamond. It may not really have enough material to cover its running time but I just found it to be good fun. Could become a real little guilty pleasure.

Four Brothers was a really good flick. Yes it was cliched in some places, but like you said it told a solid story with believable characters.

Now that's an HK approved selection. As you know, Hackers is/was ridiculously close to being in my top 100 and I'm still not sure I shouldn't have included it.

Obviously, I have to do this now, because I have it in my head, so I've got to head to youtube.

Funnily enough, Four Brother was a remake of a John Wayne western... The Sons Of Katie Elder.

Preferred the Wayne version tbh.
I didn't know that. I might check it out sometime.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Quentin Tarantino

Written by
Quentin Tarantino

Starring
Kurt Russell
Rosario Dawson
Zoe Bell
Vanessa Ferlito
Tracie Thomas

Death Proof

Plot - A bunch of girls talk a lot. And I mean a LOT!!! Then a psychotic stuntman named Stuntman Mike (Russell) enters their lives with the goal of ending said lives. His weapon of choice is his car, which as all good stuntmen would do, he has had death-proofed. And that's pretty much it. Onto my aggravated rant about it!

Wow, did this movie really not do it for me! I've got to say I felt it was pretty much garbage, and not the good kind of garbage that I was expecting. While it does have the rare cool moment, for large stretches I found this to be exceptionally dull. And I have no idea how Tarantino managed that! I mean how can you possibly make a grindhouse film about a demented stuntman who uses a deathcar to terrify and kill innocent girls, and yet make it one of the dullest movie experiences I've had in quite some time? I'll admit that I have no real exposure to the 'grindhouse' scene other than through reputation, but this really is not what I thought I was in for. It is a brutally slow experience with so much time dedicated to nothing but the girls just chatting amongst themselves, and not even about important stuff relevant to the plot, just inane prattle! It felt more like a piece of independent or arthouse cinema than the trashy exploitation I was expecting. I haven't got round to watching the other half of the Grindhouse package, Planet Terror, as of yet but at least that looks like it might be quite fun and isn't taking itself too seriously. This however has a paper thin plot that it somehow stretches to a painful 100 minutes, the most self indulgent dialogue imaginable and a group of female characters so irritating and obnoxious (and seemingly unable to manage three words without cursing) that I actually couldn't wait for Russell to show up and smash their brains in. Some of the performances from his female cast are actually quite lively and charismatic, but are just completely sabotaged by the characters. And even when Kurt Russell does finally come along to put the first group of girls and the audience out of its misery, Tarantino immediately introduces another band of four cackling girls to infuriate me! AAARGH!!!!

Tarantino utilises a few tricks and techniques to try and visually grasp the feel of the grindhouse film; tricks like grainy film stock, scratches, reel jumps and clumsy editing. Initially they may come across as quite fun and cute but I found that the novelty quickly wore off. At least the visuals worked for a brief period, the film's dialogue however just got on on my last nerve right from the off. As I said I've not seen Planet Terror but at least it appears like Robert Rodriguez may just have embraced the idea to make a stupid, trashy film. It almost feels like Tarantino however couldn't bring himself to just make a dumb film, he had to try and make it 'cool' by dumping a s*it-load of his self conscious dialogue onto it. And while it works in some of his work, most notably Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, I just found it so indulgent and narcissistic here. I found Inglourious Basterds to have a similar problem and films like this just make me wish a strong producer, or editor, or script editor or whatever would come in and really reign in such tendencies. After such a stunning start to his career I just feel that too often he is doing stuff just because he wants to, rather than it actually lending anything to the films themselves. But that's just me, and I'm aware it's not a opinion shared by all that many people. Oh and also it annoyed me a little that we never got any resolution for Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character. Her friends and in turn the film just abandon her in a decidedly dodgy situation. It feels like we should either see some horror befall her, or that Tarantino should play off our expectations; delivering either a moment of dark comedy such as reversing our expectations and have her rape him, or just have something very innocent like the girls return to find them drinking tea together and watching an episode of Murder She Wrote. Oh or Pretty in Pink seeing as she name-checked that film earlier.

There were however a few (very few) things which stopped me from truly despising this film, though it was a close run thing. For a start it features what has become very much a staple of Tarantino's work; a pretty cool and eclectic little soundtrack, this time comprising a mixture of musical cues from Morricone alongside some semi-obscure rock and R&B from the 60s and 70s. And even if the big car chase finale felt rather underwhelming and conventional, it does feature some truly astonishing stuntwork from Zoe Bell. Watching her clinging on to the hood of the car for all she's worth is a decent little thrill. Oh and Vanessa Ferlito's damn sexy lap dance. That was certainly a highlight. But all of that only makes up for like 5 minutes of a numbingly long 110 minutes.

However, the film's absolute star attraction is most certainly to be found in the form of Kurt Russell. I found him to an absolute hoot as Stuntman Mike, just terrifically sleezy in the first half of the story and then a hilariously pathetic crybaby in the second half. The film just comes alive whenever he appears on the screen, not that he has much competition to be fair. When he's not there I found myself slipping off into a bit of a coma, making it all the more unfortunate just how little screentime he actually gets. He's the best thing about the whole film by a mile, and he's also present for every one of its best moments - his unsettling first abduction and kill, his crash with the four girls and its gloriously excessive limb-ripping results and lastly the film's brutal exclamation mark at the hands of Rosario Dawson's boot heel. That final scene created the kind of silly grin I had expected to be sporting throughout the film, but just really, really didn't.

I just really didn't understand this film. I don't understand its purpose or what it was aiming for. I'd say there's a fine line between paying homage to a bad movie, and then simply just making a bad movie. And I personally felt that Tarantino crossed that line. I know some people on here really like, or even love this film; including people whose opinion I have a lot of respect for (honeykid, Godoggo, Gabrielle etc) but after now seeing it I've rather baffled as to how. I'm struggling to understand what they or anyone sees in it.

Conclusion - Quentin Tarantino himself has named this as his worst film to date. And now that I've seen it I'm certainly not going to disagree with him. Personally I thought it was an immensely poor film with extremely little in terms of redeeming features. Tarantino has made some truly great films but at times he completely bewilders and even annoys me with his self-indulgent, egotistical ways. And from what I've seen so far, I don't think he's ever been more guilty than he was here. And to be honest I think I've been highly generous with my rating. Thankfully he had Kurt Russell in tow to ever so slightly save the day.

I know some people on here really like, or even love this film; including people whose opinion I have a lot of respect for (honeykid, Godoggo, Gabrielle etc)
Now I know what you really think of me

But I have to disagree with your rating here JayDee, all the parts you've highlighted as the film's strengths I loved especially Stuntman Mike, I loved everything about the first half of the film, the gritty, sleazy feel, the physically created poor aesthetic/editing, and from the moment the girl gets in Mike's car the crash sequence is terrific. The second half I agree has too much girls talking with not much point, I didn't like the second half much, but the ending made up for it for me, and made the film a positive experience overall.

I give it
now, trying to tighten up my ratings up a little bit so it's a good rating for me, if you haven't seen it already click the Tarantino link in my sig and read the Death Proof section

A great review as normal though, I can't fault the quality, a little mistake to show that I read it all, the second paragraph first 'those' should by 'this'

Since I have become a fan of your movie reviews, and after reading many a glowing review of many great films, it is always nice for a change of pace. And yes I share most of your thoughts on Tarantino's Death Proof. It is just a dull film. I walked away from seeing both these movies in the double feature feeling that the fake trailers were the best part about the movies. And I was right as it lead to the creation of one of my favorite "just for fun" titles Hobo With a Shotgun. Another excellent review and always entertaining.

Sorry you didn't get much out of the film, JD. I liked your review, though.

With a few exceptions, I don't think grindhouse will be your thing. Not that it necessarily follows, but I feel Death Proof is the essence of a grindhouse, whereas Planet Terror is very much like the neo-grindhouse that's been churned out for the last 5 years or so. That's not to say they're all bad, but they're not really grindhouse, IMO, they just don't have the 'feel' or authenticity of the originals. Maybe it's because they're often too tongue-in-cheek.

Now I know what you really think of me
Aw Daniel I'm sorry man. Let's hug it out.

The reason you weren't included is I didn't associate you with liking Death Proof. Honeykid has mentioned a few times how it's one of Tarantino's rare recent films that he's liked. And I remembered both Gabrielle and Godog had it on their top 100 lists.

if you haven't seen it already click the Tarantino link in my sig and read the Death Proof section

A great review as normal though, I can't fault the quality, a little mistake to show that I read it all, the second paragraph first 'those' should by 'this'
Damn that looks like quite a read. Will need to try and tackle it at some point.

Thanks Danny boy. I'm pleased that you were able to enjoy it despite obviously not agreeing. And I shall rectify it immediately. Oh and "those should by this" should be 'be'!

Since I have become a fan of your movie reviews, and after reading many a glowing review of many great films, it is always nice for a change of pace.....Another excellent review and always entertaining.
Thanks GS. I'm pleased and touched that you've taken to my reviews so much. And I'll be honest, you don't get many negative reviews from me. For the most part I'm easily entertained and can find something to latch on to in any film. And I'm pretty good at choosing which movies to go with, ones I feel I will like.

Sorry you didn't get much out of the film, JD. I liked your review, though.

With a few exceptions, I don't think grindhouse will be your thing.
Thanks man. Glad to hear you still enjoyed it even if you didn't agree with my opinion. Just to give you a little teaser though, the next review should make it up to you. Think you'll be pleased with it.

Why, do you not think I'm 'cool' enough for grindhouse?

Thanks GS. I'm pleased and touched that you've taken to my reviews so much. And I'll be honest, you don't get many negative reviews from me. For the most part I'm easily entertained and can find something to latch on to in any film. And I'm pretty good at choosing which movies to go with, ones I feel I will like.
That is good. I am getting old and cynical. So I can go negative easy.

Just to give you a little teaser though, the next review should make it up to you. Think you'll be pleased with it.

Why, do you not think I'm 'cool' enough for grindhouse?
lol... God knows it's ain't cool. It's just that nothing really happening, punctuated with the 'extreme' is what most/much 'grindhouse' actually is.

God knows it's ain't cool.
Really? I thought it was considered kinda cool and edgy.