Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

About the End of Watch (i'm new here in the MoFo and i can't post links yet)
I would rate it with 7/10. Really good movie, hold us on the screen actually. And some scenes are violent, which makes the film interesting

So I finally managed to see Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing.This film looks so racist,it's like race is all it talks about and that seemed annoying since every problem that characters face are related to their skin color.
The visuals seemed pretty average and nothing special.Sometimes when I watch the film,even if I dislike it,I can feel that it's a classic yet this film seemed just...typical.I don't get all the praise.

Juno (2007) -

Good, but overrated.
I thought i would not like the movie. But was surprised. Good one.

Audition (1999) - Takashi Miike

This starts off kind of slow and is really just a romantic drama for half the movie - although you know something bad is coming. Then it turns into a Japanese Fatal Attraction but weirder ... and more violent. Great (and scary) performance by Eihi Shiina.

8/10

Let the night air cool you off
I watched Zodiac (2007) last night

9/10 sounds about right. It's a fantastic film, that is well acted and well directed. It has one of the most interesting movie (and real life) villains of all-time. The not knowing of who the killer is, how many of the murders were actually his, or whatever happened to the killer is quite haunting.

Not Enough Time
^I caught the end of Zodiac on TV one day, definitely made me want to watch the whole thing.

Anyway, my recent viewings...

Django Unchained - 9/10

I'm in a political/philosophical mood tonight, but I won't let that interfere with my rating of this film, cause I loved it. It was just a good f***in movie, plus, I love Christopher Waltz as an actor. And, since everyone compares this to Inglorious Basterds as his greatest films recently, I actually bought Inglorious Basterds (it WAS really cheap but I figured I had to have missed something, maybe like Kill Bill 2, or maybe I was just too drunk to appreciate it last time)

Cloud Atlas - 9/10

It did turn out to be a friggin love story, but again, I will not let that interfere. Especially because it was more than that. I loved this one also. I wanted to watch it again, but I didn't want to get pissed at the love story aspect again. Did I mention I've recently watched....

That's What She Said - 8/10

Not necessarily a quality movie, but I loved it. Thought it was hilarious and wonderfully cynical. Also liked the linear time aspect. But it did make me a little weary about woman-based/directed/starring films. Why's it always gotta be about lesbianism? Beside BabyMama, pretty much every woman-cast film has had at least a good deal of lesbianism, if not a whole lot. Again, don't get me started, not tonight.

Stand Up Guys - 8/10

Loved it, too funny, and had a great reconciliation of a conclusion. Again, not a greatly done movie, but I thought it was so much fun, and it's three of my favorite actors. And it was the first movie to make me laugh out loud in a long time. Why has Pacino not done comedy earlier in his career?? He was HILARIOUS in Jack and Jill.

Gangster Squad - 8.5/10 pending

I fell asleep so I didn't get to see the ending But I will say I loved the cinematography, and Ryan Gosling just gets hotter and hotter. Sean Penn was fantastic as usual. Gotta say, I'm getting a little annoyed with Emma Stone being in every other movie I watch these days, can actors get played out like pop songs do? But she is good, so I can't really complain. Anyway, the only down side of the movie is it didn't build, but like I said, I didn't see the ending, so that really makes a difference. But I definitely want to see it again.

The Master - 8.8/10

I should've reviewed this right after I saw it. As others have said, the acting was incredible. And PT Anderson did his thing. The whole thing was great, but for some reason I think it lacked something. It wasn't quite there. Usually, that means it needs a re-watch

Man of Steel - 6.5/10

Eh

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

The Crow (1994) - 6.2/10.

Holy Motors

I didn't really understand it, although I could try to come up with flimsy ideas about the digitization of film and entertainment, but that didn't matter too much to me. This was all about the images and sounds put on screen, and there were many that will stick with me for a long time. Denis Lavant as the shape-shifter in the lead role is amazing, and the accordion interlude pictured above is one of the many great scenes. I definitely want to re-watch, not so much to understand better (although I wouldn't mind that), but to let the scenes wash over me again.

I loved Holy Motors, I think this quote from Roger Ebert on Mulholland Drive can be applied to the film.

"This is a movie to surrender yourself to. If you require logic, see something else. "Mulholland Drive" works directly on the emotions, like music. Individual scenes play well by themselves, as they do in dreams, but they don't connect in a way that makes sense--again, like dreams. The way you know the movie is over is that it ends. And then you tell a friend, "I saw the weirdest movie last night." Just like you tell them you had the weirdest dream."

To Live (1994) - Zhang Yimou

This is a great movie from historical and visual perspectives. However, it has some real weaknesses in terms of some of the acting and parts of the story (too many tragedies). Definitely worth watching though - a relatively realistic look at the struggles of a family during some major events in China last century.

7/10

Mama

It may not be perfect but I found it to be scary and atmospheric, so in my mind a successful and decent horror movie.

7 out of 10

Unregistered User

The perks of being a wallflower.

Much better than i expected although i still feel it could have been made even better, a few darker moments in the middle and it would have been great.

still.....8/10