Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"My name is Psycho but you can call me Stuart."

Grave of the Fireflies

I joined this site to find out about movies like this. I already knew of it but would never have watched it before signing up here. Just a stunning movie. Don't think I've ever developed such an emotional attachment to characters in a movie. Will be thinking about it for days ...

10/10
Grave of the Fireflies is one of my favourite animated films. Simply brilliant.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
wtf?!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The town... 3/5

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It was a terrible movie! At least Caligula had Malcom McDowell and a very drunk Peter O Toole, so that was slightly more enjoyable.
I beg to differ. Besides the scenery and actors, the theme felt serious and terrific. It was properly executed film about humans' perversions. To each his own, though.

Grave of the Fireflies

I joined this site to find out about movies like this. I already knew of it but would never have watched it before signing up here. Just a stunning movie. Don't think I've ever developed such an emotional attachment to characters in a movie. Will be thinking about it for days ...

10/10
Yeah its a really good film and definitely one of Ghibli's best, only thing I have found with this one is it hasn't lingered around in my mind, even though it left a really strong impression on me at the time. Not knocking the film though, other great films have a similar impact initially, but seem to dissipate with time. Also, if you are open to other Ghibli films I would personally recommend Whisper of the Heart, Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa. You might also like Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves if you want another slice of life film. Probably best just watching them all though as they are all good .

The Breakfast Club
Watched this for the first time a few weeks ago, really loved the film, it just hit all the right notes for me and really nailed the whole school atmosphere; hasn't dated either. Definitely recommend.

Can understand why you'd give Salo that score. Hard film to watch with a sensitive eye and definitely not for everyone, particularly if you plan on taking a fairy loving Cinderella type girl on a date to watch it. Personally, I think its a masterpiece, probably helps that I find parts of Salo pretty funny in the darkest way possible.

I watched A Bronx Tale a couple nights ago, good film and probably a
. Liked the message of the film, especially the rivalry of the two father figures played by De Niro and Palminteri; definitely the two best parts of the film imo. Only complaints, some of the dialogue is a bit bland at times and I think this detracts from the film a bit. The love story in the film is a bit lame, particularly when he skips up, punches the air and shouts Yippee like a high pitched little girl after being in a bar brawl a few minutes earlier; love story is a bit wooden and static in general, although I think this could have been done on purpose to build the theme of racial tensions at the time. Worth watching and probably on the same level as Carlito's Way or Donnie Brasco.

A simple plan
IMDB LINK

4/5

I really enjoyed this crime thriller.
Early into the film you know exactly what to expect from the genre, but it's a great ride and it was delivered with a couple twists and turns thanks to powerful performances by the cast.

Salo is what happens when someone with exploitation on the brain tries to make an art film. I found nothing deeper to the movie. It is just shock exploitation for the the sake of shock exploitation with none of the camp of B grade schlock.

Salo is what happens when someone with exploitation on the brain tries to make an art film. I found nothing deeper to the movie. It is just shock exploitation for the the sake of shock exploitation with none of the camp of B grade schlock.
I'd still look into a couple analyses, because it's not what you think it is. Not that I think you'll completely change your mind about it, but for the sake of understanding the context.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think Pasolini had every right to make Salo the way he wanted, but I believe his methods prevent most film watchers from ever wanting to see it and thus getting the anti-fascist message. There is a certain fascination in watching all the depravity, but I found it too slow and the fascists to be almost clown-like which also greatly diminishes the power, and I don't believe any of it is intended as a black comedy. I won't go into why someone might have problens with it for aesthetic reasons.

Any attempts at the fascist message was lost on me like the "deep religious message" in Showgirls. I was far too distracted by the obvious themes of depravity and sexual sadism. And the ***** eating.