Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"My name is Psycho but you can call me Stuart."
Last night was movie night in the Dash household. With a film pick each my son and I settled in for an evening of entertainment; accompanied by the obligatory munchies of course--

Sometimes, even when things seem grim and darkness is setting in, if one tries real hard, one can find some light - however faint - in the darkness...

There is something noble and true when it comes to hope. Hope requires determination and dedication and a conscious choice to set oneself up for pitfalls and trials and tribulations. Even in the midst of despair and depression, hope can still shine. The light might be dim and it might be distorted, but even the action of continuing to live despite the pain and misery contains hope.

Even when we believe hope to be gone, it's still there. Because truly if it weren't none of us would be here. None of us would move to get out of bed. We wouldn't eat. We wouldn't sleep. We wouldn't do anything.

Because what would be the point? What would be the outcome? If every single one of your efforts was for nothing, why would you even draw a breath?

You wouldn't. You'd die. Either from your own hand or simply by having that light of expectation extinguished, your life would be over.

At it's core The Shawshank Redemption is about hope...Hope, and the resilience of the human spirit.

Despite his bleak and ofttimes intolerable surrounds, Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) a man--who steadfastly proclaims his innocence--serving a life sentence for the double murder of his wife and her lover finds hope. Not in brilliant, Broadway spotlight packages, but in small, albeit defining and significant ways; a beautiful piece of music, the establishment of a library for his fellow prisoners, teaching...and in the process retains his humanity and shines a light of hope for other prisoners.

"... hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

The Shawshank Redemption - my film pick
4.5/5

Everything in Australia wants to kill you. The flora, the fauna, and even the forces of nature. Stung, bitten, poisoned, washed out to sea with a rip or munched and crunched, whatever it might be, Australia wants you dead.

A hardy bunch those Aussies. Not fazed by their lethal surrounds. Not even by those prehistoric killing machines, the saltwater crocodile, after all they only eat the tourists...or so the running joke in the land of Oz goes.

However, not everything in life is predictable, and especially the crocodile; no one told them that tourists are the only thing on the menu. When served up an aluminum package of human snacklets cresting on a wave and a ripple who is going to be discerning? With accompanying screams and gurgles, tourists and natives alike are gobbled down as a satisfying treat.

For the appeasement of later tummy grumbles there are those lucky souls who are treated to the stash and snack later crocodilian philosophy.

I didn't want to like this cheesy monster movie about a rogue crocodile, but dare I say it...I loved it. Sad, but true. A guilty pleasure now perhaps?

Rogue - my son's pick
3/5

I like your poetic writing, Dash.

I like your poetic writing, Dash.
Thank you, CelluloidChild. I'm finding you to be an excessively kind soul.

Lol not the movie that every 13 year old should be allowed to see, however, he does have to maturity to handle the content. On behalf of my son, thank you, Godoggo.

There Will Be Blood
-

I watched this once before and was nearly bored to tears. I keep reading all this fantastic stuff about it so I gave it another chance.

Well, I'll give it two stars for the spectacular cinematography. But the rest? I really, really don't understand this movie's popularity. Am I missing something? I saw a movie about a greedy, selfish man who alienates and destroys everybody around him. But neither he nor the people he destroys are really bad or good enough for me to care about their fate so once again I was bored.

Iron Man 3 - 3/10

Iron Fitness: http://ironfitnessonline.com/

Not Enough Time
Larry Crowne - 7.5/10

This was a second viewing, and I liked it a lot better this time than I did the first time. Though many of the subsequent characters were still corny/superficial/cliché, the two main characters (Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts) had more of an effect on me. I especially liked the character of Larry Crowne a lot more, who is an gentle, optimistic man who finds himself in an unfortunate societal situation. I always liked the Mercedes character. And for some reason, the happy ending didn't make me want to puke

The movie itself is a lot like the character Larry Crowne in the sense that you're given the bad circumstances, but as the movie progresses it works through the issues with optimism, determination, and persistence. Which, as it turns out, is really important when succeeding in higher education. (For those who don't know, the main character goes to college at about 40 years old.)

I thought it was a good movie, but it didn't do anything extra for me, and certainly wasn't special. It was typical, but I still enjoyed myself.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

Zelig (1983)

Very interesting Woody Allen's mockumentary about Leonard Zelig, a man who changes his physical appearance in order to fit in.
It’s great idea presented in best possible way. It's interesting and funny but also a great caricature review of a modern man and his uncontrollable need to fit in. Too bad that most Woody Allen’s films are average romantic dramas/comedies because film like this are really necessary to the modern cinematography and Woody is obviously capable to make the.

8/10

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis (2008)

Great comedy, great drama, great story, great screenplay and great acting. There aren’t many things in this movie that aren’t great, except maybe, totally forced and unneeded love story but it didn't made too big problem. This type of humor based on regional prejudices maybe isn’t for everyone but the ones that have similar situation in their country or region will definitely love it.

9/10

Quarantine 2

Starts off well, and entertaining at times but I kept losing interest, gets a little boring towards the end.

6 out of 10

Ponyo

Beautiful movie. Maybe the 5th Miyazaki movie I've seen and my favourite by a long way. I felt like creating a movie obviously targeted at young children forced him to concentrate on the simple parts of the movie making process - like story and characters. Some of his others felt forced to me, particularly in regards to the fantasy elements. Here they were just there to help deliver the story.

9/10

Boy A

Excellent movie. Story of a young guy who has been in juvenile detention (and maybe prison) for a brutal crime committed when he was a kid. Dragged a little in the second half but got back on track at the end.

9/10

Baytown Outlaws
2/5

Kinda boring. Action scenes were tough to swallow. Billy bob had a really weak character, eva didn't dress in any sexy outfits and both of them were hardly in the movie anyway. It also features some of the most inept "professional killers" I've ever seen on the screen.

these are the movies i saw lately
iron man 3 9/10
lincoln 8/10
g.i joe retaliation 6/10

if you guys want to reed more reviews go to this site goingrandom.net

i will apreciate it :rolleyes: