Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"My name is Psycho but you can call me Stuart."
except, maybe, "HANDS UP!"
"Terry, meet Flynn."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
"Terry, meet Flynn."
i could go all night on quotes to this movie, it had such a rich, strong dialogue throughout
been a while since seeing it, gonna hafta do a re-watch

i could go all night on quotes to this movie, it had such a rich, strong dialogue throughout
been a while since seeing it, gonna hafta do a re-watch
Indeed. It holds up with each and every viewing.

Bridge on the River Kwai

It's a movie that's always been on my list of things to see, and I think I've even seen the ending once.

And it confused me a little - as it was supposed to, I think. And during the entire last hour, my pulse quickened - for reasons I couldn't possibly explain as it appeared that very little (action-wise) was occurring in the film. But I could feel it all coming to this moment. We kept building and building and finally - I knew it - something would have to snap. I think that anticipation just made me want to watch more.

What really struck me about this movie, however, was Sir Alec Guinness. He amazed me, really. What a strange character to play, with so many little quirks and hidden character traits that we never really get to see fully come to light. We got the best glimpse of Colonel Nicholson during the final bits of the movie - as he's standing on the bridge looking out at the setting sun.

I'm a sucker for scenes like this - these sappy little moments when a character sits and analyzes himself and the world around him. When he finally comes to grips with what's going on and takes the time to settle down and just think. And I'm a sucker for sunsets. I mean, c'mon. The evidence is all around us. What made me a Star Wars fan? The twin sunset scene on Tatooine - and it's essentially Luke taking a moment to reflect on his life and where it's going--or not going, at that point in time--oh and lightsabers...and Vader.

I digress.

But what a strange character to be thrown into the boots of - Colonel Nicholson, British commander turned POW, attempting to make the best of his situation and to help his men feel like soldiers instead of slaves in the midst of their capture. And in the process, he loses sight of the big picture - falling prey to the cause. And in the end, he realizes just what his place was in this world around him...just as he pondered on the bridge in the setting sun.

How hard it must be to play a role of that magnitude. I think that's what I realise more and more when I see characters like this - characters who are dealing with strange circumstances. Or pain - physical or mental. Suffering, agony. Fear, honesty, treason, resentment, anger, hurt, happiness, love, loss.

All of these emotions are so familiar to us that sometimes we reduce them to only words. "How are you today?" we ask...only to hear the answer, "Oh, I'm fine." But what is fine? Really, what are we? Do we reduce our emotions down to the base words and forget all of the joy and confusion that there is in their true form?

We're never just one thing at one time. At least, that's how I feel.
What I suppose I'm really trying to say is that acting is trying to express the sum of our emotions - not just one emotion. It's rounding out your character to be human, to be real. And that's the best way to connect with an audience. That's what draws a character to me. There's something in their movements and words and actions that develop them as a whole person in my mind - and not just a simple portrayal of an emotion.

Anywho, I found Bridge on the River Kwai a beautifully crafted film with great depth of emotion, and sublime acting from Sir Alec Guinness. Well deserving of the praise it garners.

4/5

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sir Alec certainly contributed to Luke's destiny as well. Something about Sir Alec and sunsets.

I didn't like this movie as much as I thought I would. I liked the idea, but I expected to love the movie, and I just didn't. I love Jim Carrey as an actor, but I feel he was miscast here. Kate Winslet was great, though. I don't know, my opinion about this movie could change in the future. For now I give it a 7, and I feel I am being generous.

+

This film is very simple, and it works. My favourite scenes were the last scenes (the ones that show the places they visited), and those scenes made me realize that I would've actually liked the movie a lot more if it was different. With different, I mean melancholic. It had more energy than it should've had, imo, especially the Ethan Hawke character.

Sir Alec certainly contributed to Luke's destiny as well. Something about Sir Alec and sunsets.
Ah yes! He did indeed.

Jury. Executioner. Judge.
Drunken Master (1978)

4/5

Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but definitely one of my favorite Jackie Chan movies, and an overall rad Kung Fu flick!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Drunken Master (1978)

4/5

Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but definitely one of my favorite Jackie Chan movies, and an overall rad Kung Fu flick!
Love it!

The first "great" Kung Fu film post Bruce Lee era.

Yeah the sound effects and acting are basically bad but the story is legendary. The idea that there could be a martial art based on being totally pissed, and the more you get pissed the better you get.

Kokuhaku (Confessions)

I thought it was only Korea that could do a good vengeance movie but apparently Japan can too.

This was, quite simply, mesmerising. A near perfect film from start to finish. One warning - it's dark. Story of a teacher's tragic loss and how she gets revenge on the students responsible.

Is now one of four films that I class as the best I have seen. 10/10

Sun Faa Sau Si (Biozombie)

From the sublime to the ridiculous. Hong Kong Zombie movie. Combines my two great loves - Asian cinema and zombie movies.

Looks low budget (although my partner said some of the actors are well known in Hong Kong) but was quite entertaining.

Zombies in a Hong Kong shopping centre. This is no Dawn of the Dead but I quite liked it.

6/10

Johnny English Reborn 6/10 Light-hearted fluff that goes down easy.

The Green Lantern 6/10 While not perfect by any means, this was an entertaining action/super-hero film. I know it was a disappointment to many fans but I enjoyed it for what it was.

And Proximity, thank you for that Jennifer Lawrence pic.

Just watched sinister, hhm well a 6 i think, pretty average stuff

+

Before Sunset is better than Before Sunrise, just how I was expecting and was hoping it to be, and I am so glad it was. The acting here is better (I liked the Hawke character more than in the first movie), the pacing is better (there were quite a few long takes, from Before Sunrise I cannot recall many), the direction is better, and everything is better. Before Sunrise was full of energy, excitement, and laughs, Before Sunset was different and this is exactly why I liked it more.

I'm really looking forward to Before Midnight now.

I become a graduate, so i have watched "the graduate". Great movie and great soundtrack. I watched this cult movie twenty days after my graduated and so it was perfect, infact I rate this movie with a 9/10 .

Le piel que habito (2011)

I believe this is the most morbid movie I have ever seen and definitely no other left so unpleasant feeling. There’s no gore, no common horror scenes, just events and characters which make sure that you don’t forget them soon.
Almodóvar is great filmmaker and he proved that once again and this is a must see for all thriller/horror lovers.

8/10

Hodejegerne (2011)

Very interesting and dynamic but with few major goofs. Works like a pure thriller with a lot of suspense what, although very unrealistic at first sight, look natural and possible at the end. There are also some comedy elements, a little bit of drama and romance and nice amount of action in typically dark and anxious Scandinavian atmosphere.
It’s far from being a must see and Nesbř definitely deserves better screening but it’s above average crime-thriller and good entertainment.

7/10

A woman under the influence 7/10
I really liked the 1st hour, great interpretation of Gena Rowlands. However the last half hour was a bit tasteless and disappointing.

Kumonosu-jô (Throne of Blood) 9/10

Another great movie from Akira Kurosawa.

Swiri (also known as Shiri)

Korean action movie with Kim Yunjin (Lost) and Choi Min-sik (Oldboy). Do you ever have times where you see reviews of a movie or look at the rating on IMDB and then, after watching the movie, wonder what the hell people were thinking? This was one of those times. When you have scene where a good guy and a bad guy fall out the window of a building, stand up pointing guns at each other ... and another person who was in the building with them is also standing there ... then the bad guy grabs a hostage in broad daylight ... then suddenly they are somewhere else and it is night time ... well, you can't give a movie like that more than 3/10. But reviews of this movie are generally positive and it is rated at 6.6 on IMDB.

The rest of the film is only just OK but I was pretty bored even before that ridiculous scene.

3/10

Slumdog Millionaire

I was really disappointed with this. I have liked all of the other Danny Boyle movies I have seen but this was just shallow. One dimensional characters, the most negative characterisation of a nation of people since Midnight Express and a situation set up to drive the story (the game show) which actually made little sense.

I'm not one to scream racism in regards to movies so the negative stereotype created by every adult in the movie being a bad person doing bad things doesn't bother me too much - it's the fact that it's really lazy film making that is the problem.

Freida Pinto was very likable despite her character being completely under-developed and I like what the film tried to do so I'll give it 5/10 but that's perhaps slightly undeserved.

W.E - Madonna's film on Edward VIII and his abdication from the throne,for his love of American divorcee Wallis Simpson. Not the sort of film id normally see, but i knew the true story. It wasnt bad but was sort of glad once it finished, though well-made, 6/10