Super heros not being super

Tools    

I just saw Ironman 3 and what a disappointment. I paid to see ironman and not RDJ. Any time Ironman came on his suit was rubbish and got knocked off each time he got hit by something.

You would think that ironman would get stronger each movie, but no, in this he is superweak and finds flying hard.

I had the same disappointment with Batman 3, I think batman is in the film for around 10 minutes in total, the rest of the time its Christian Bale moping around with a bad ankle.

I like super heros to be super, avengers assemble is a case in point, all the super heros are super and they beat up the bad guys.

Why are the directors feeling the need to show a human soft side to these characters, do any fans want to see this?

The final sequences of ironman 3 wer a huge anticlimax unlike 2 that seemed to build until the final scene.

I suppose i am just disappointed as i wanted the last film in the series to be a grand finale.

I feel better after my moan, thanks for listening.

While I am generally bored of the "Nolaizing" of other comic book properties, i.e.; Amazing Spider-man, I don't believe that superhero films have to be bursting with action set-pieces. You probably wouldn't care for the comics these films are based on, as they spend a great deal of time reflecting on the flaws and humanity of the people behind the suits. Each Iron Man film and even the Avengers have set up Tony's own personal issues; lack of commitment, not being a team player, and trying to get technology he created out of the hands of maniacs. It stands to reason that by this point, the focus would be on Tony's choices and experiences up until this point and what he takes away from them.

I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet but I don't have a problem with the characters being developed. I also understand the studios want some face time for these actors since they are getting paid big money. It should be a balance.

Iron Fitness: http://ironfitnessonline.com/

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I like all of this stuff like with great power comes great responsibility and another moral dilemmas in superhero films. It's the point, isn't it? Who'd like to watch superheros kicking villain's asses for 1,5h or more?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I totally agree with you. A super her movie should be super. They should kill the bad guys. I haven't seen Iron Man 3 though, I hope is not so disappointing as you say it is.

I've not seen Iron Man 2 yet, let alone Iron Man 3, but to me the combination of RDJs charisma and the heavily flawed character is the reason for the success of the movies. I enjoyed the first one for those reasons and, to be honest, if it was just a good guy beating up bad guys there wouldn't be 3 movies.

IMO without the character development there would be little reason for Iron Man 3 to exist.

I am the Watcher in the Night
I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet but I will soon. I agree with your point about 'Rises, it spent too long lingering on Bruce Wayne with a broken back and not enough on Batman fighting the bad guys.

I think the problem with the Iron movies may be RDJ and his ego, I read somewhere that he wanted more face time (may just be a rumour).

Having said that, the best super hero movies are the ones that strike the perfect balance between being "super" and connecting with the audience on an emotional level. There are 4 perfect examples of that:

Spiderman 2, The Dark Knight, Superman (original) and Watchmen

Some movies have tried too hard to force the emotion and the vulnerability of the men and women below the masks: 'Rises, X-Men 1 & 3 and Superman Returns (did he even throw a punch?). None of those, apart from X-Men 3 are bad movies but neither are they shining examples of what can be done with the comic book movie genre.

I dont mind the humanising of the characters as mentioned previously, but I am really just talking about what I felt was inconsistency in the skill of the super hero.

In Batman begins Bruce Wayne is very skilled at what he does as Batman and this continues into the next film with the joker. For me at the end of The Dark Knight Rises he didnt seem half the Batman in the previous films.

I dont want to ruin Ironman 3 for anyone, so please look away now. Tony Stark works on his suits all the time so you would expect these to improve with time. This seemed to be a different Iron Man to the one that was in the avengers, yes it is a different suit, but you wouldnt expect it to be worse than previous models. Also during the final set piece the suits seemed to be just worse than they previously were.

I am a huge Ironman 1 and 2 fan, so I probably just expected too much.

Not Enough Time
I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet, but I am planning to see it this weekend with a friend who is a HUGE IronMan fan (not RDJ, but IronMan the character). And it made me realize, that by the time a third movie is put out, most people going to see it are not too worried about its content. They may hold it up to high standards (and rightfully so). But people will buy tickets and go see it because its IronMan (or RDJ), plain and simple.

I also hope I'm not that disappointed in it though... buuuuuut, then again, I don't know if I would mind more face time of Mr Downey Jr. One of the very few old(er) guys I am attracted to, and I gotta say it started with the first IronMan movie.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I just saw Ironman 3 and what a disappointment. I paid to see ironman and not RDJ. Any time Ironman came on his suit was rubbish and got knocked off each time he got hit by something.

You would think that ironman would get stronger each movie, but no, in this he is superweak and finds flying hard.

I had the same disappointment with Batman 3, I think batman is in the film for around 10 minutes in total, the rest of the time its Christian Bale moping around with a bad ankle.

I like super heros to be super, avengers assemble is a case in point, all the super heros are super and they beat up the bad guys.

Why are the directors feeling the need to show a human soft side to these characters, do any fans want to see this?

The final sequences of ironman 3 wer a huge anticlimax unlike 2 that seemed to build until the final scene.

I suppose i am just disappointed as i wanted the last film in the series to be a grand finale.

I feel better after my moan, thanks for listening.
Its easier to write a storyline around a regular person than a super person