Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

spirited away.. 2/5 haha I know that is going to irk some people.
Sorry, but this was my second time watching it and i liked it even less.

this movie suffers from what I call "road runner syndrome" whereby seeing the coyote fall off a cliff and survive unharmed, all suspense is immediately drained out of any future calamities.

there was never any sense of danger. I don't know what it was, maybe this was meant for kids? the whole movie felt like it had giant novelty boxing gloves on. We were told about how scary and dangerous the place was but I was never shown. even when no face, who we're told is some demon starts eating people the girl somehow surmises "oh it must be the bathhouse making him crazy" instead of the fact that he might just be a demon? but of course she is correct, because this movie has no sense of danger. and yay he is friendly the whole time just like everyone else once you get past their rough edges. ugh.

the friend I was watching this with got up and left when there was only 10 minutes left. i guess he couldn't stand all the nonsense anymore because he kept trying to look for some sort of allegory.

Well, it was meant for kids after all (said by Miyazaki).

But I don't think the question lies in there. No Face may be a lot of things, I didn't reach a fully satisfying answer after many viewings, but what I'm sure about is that he is not a demon, and even if it was, that wouldn't make a "demon" as the Western audience defines it. More like an empty shell, a wandering being searching for an identity. There is also the fact that he establishes a brief relationship with Chihiro before; even in the case he was actually badly-intentioned, Chihiro would have defended his case.

On the feelings of danger, I guess they might come from very specific moments because overall Spirited away is not a tense movie, but a very calmed one; once the craziness of the beginning is set, Chihiro is supposed to have grown during her stay and be able to control her emotions, understand how thinks work in the world (the fantasy setting is, paradoxically, an allegory to make her understand how the real world is), and set priorities. The danger here is more of an underlying one. How did those people get there, where they human and their aspect gradually changed as they forgot their names and real life identities? What about the little girls that are seen cleaning the floor with Chihiro? Did Kamaji renounce to his last chance? Is Lin a lost case? Just by the fact that Chihiro is able to escape, we see what could have happened with her through the amount of characters that don't make it.

I gave it less than that...
I didn't think it deserved one star, since I enjoyed the part with the muddy river spirit coming to the baths. and i also liked when no face declared that he wanted to eat everything. that made me laugh

Monsters, Inc. 3-D

This was my fourth Pixar movie, and even though it isn't my favourite so far, it was probably the funniest. Loved the Mike Wazowski character. Also loved the fact that unlike in Big Lebowski, Steve Buscemi's character was tougher than John Goodman's this time.

spirited away.. 2/5 haha I know that is going to irk some people. Sorry, but this was my second time watching it and i liked it even less.
I usually don't try to watch movies that didn't impress me on first viewing. Maybe you tried to watch it again because people keep praising it.

The first time I watched Spirited Away it became my favorite movie of all time instantly. That's why I watched it again later. Still, over the 23 months since I first watched Spirited Away, I have watched it only 4 times. I wait until I forget some of the movie to not reduce the dramatic impact.

this movie suffers from what I call "road runner syndrome" whereby seeing the coyote fall off a cliff and survive unharmed, all suspense is immediately drained out of any future calamities.

there was never any sense of danger. I don't know what it was, maybe this was meant for kids?
Miyazaki said that the target audience of the movie were 10 year old girls, at the brink of adolescence. However that didn't prevent it from being considered one of the top movies of the decade. Miyazaki said that movies for children that are actually good are also good for adults but the inverse is not true (i.e. Once Upon a Time in America is good for adults but not very good for children).

The target audience of My Neighbor Totoro was 5 year olds, but I consider that it is possibly the greatest work of art of the 20th century.

the whole movie felt like it had giant novelty boxing gloves on. We were told about how scary and dangerous the place was but I was never shown.
Well, you have to fill in some of the movie with your own mind. Spirited Away send shivers down my spine every time I watch it while others said that they didn't understand anything.

I found 2001: A Space Odyssey to be terrifying while others found it to be a bore.

even when no face, who we're told is some demon starts eating people the girl somehow surmises "oh it must be the bathhouse making him crazy" instead of the fact that he might just be a demon? but of course she is correct, because this movie has no sense of danger. and yay he is friendly the whole time just like everyone else once you get past their rough edges. ugh.
The traditional Hollywood formula of protagonist versus antagonist is not used in Miyazaki's films, specially in this one. If you try to watch his movies using the traditional Hollywood glasses you will not understand Spirited Away or most of his other movies.

There a few exceptions in his filmography though.

the friend I was watching this with got up and left when there was only 10 minutes left. i guess he couldn't stand all the nonsense anymore because he kept trying to look for some sort of allegory.
I think that the problem lies in that you have build up expectations about it. Spirited Away is not a conventional Hollywood movie. Don't try to engage with it like a conventional Hollywood movie.

Spirited Away is a 125 minute symphony of sound and color. I found it terrifying at parts and extremely moving at other parts. However, it is Miyazaki's least rational film and one of his most complex works. It is more of an art film than any of his other movies.

I think that Castle in the Sky might be a much better Miyazaki film for you. It has antagonists, it has a well define story structure and it is very much like conventional Hollywood adventure movies, just much better.

I found 2001: A Space Odyssey to be terrifying while others found it to be a bore.
I felt the same way about 2001. Definitely one of the most frightening and disturbing movies that I've seen, and it's not even a horror. I found the monoliths to be scarier than Hannibal Lecter, or any other horror movie character for that matter.

I felt the same way about 2001. Definitely one of the most frightening and disturbing movies that I've seen, and it's not even a horror. I found the monoliths to be scarier than Hannibal Lecter, or any other horror movie character for that matter.
Indeed. The non-melodic music used with the monoliths is also a contributing factor for that effect. They represent the unknown and as we known, man's greatest fear is the unknown.

Indeed. The non-melodic music used with the monoliths is also a contributing factor for that effect. They represent the unknown and as we known, man's greatest fear is the unknown.
Brilliant way to analyze it, that.

Batman (1966 film)

10/10

It was very campy & old fashioned and way before my time but I really enjoyed it and loved how film revolutionized till this day.

The Apartment

Wow, what a movie.

The forth film I've seen from this Director others being (Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard and Some like it hot), all brilliant movies but The Apartment is now my favourite Wilder film.

10/10

I would rank them

The Apartment 10/10
Double Indemnity 9.5/10
Some like it hot 9.5/10
Sunset Boulevard 8.5/10

Children of Men (2006)

Never read the book. Enjoyed the film. Clive Owen is a bit wooden some of the time but the direction is very good. Some of the scenes towards the end at Bexhill are impressive.

7/10

Batman (1966 film)

10/10

It was very campy & old fashioned and way before my time but I really enjoyed it and loved how film revolutionized till this day.
Proper Batman.

Iron Man 3 - Not impressed. Its far too jokey for its own good, there's a certain scene involving a bad guy which is the tipping point and I couldn't take it seriously afterwards, it veers too close to Spiderman 3 territory for me by the end. 5/10.