Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Company You Keep 8/10
Great cast. Thriller.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Guns of Navarone

had never gotten to seen this one in its entirity. Very enjoyable flick from '61 with Anthony Quinn, David Niven and Gregory Peck

I just got home from seeing 42. I love baseball. I love movies about the civil rights movement. This movie had both and I really enjoyed it. I didn't know Harrison Ford was in it, which was a pleasant surprise because he was awesome. I would give it a 7/10.

Bloodwork

I think this movie is pretty good (not Clint's strongest) the story is pretty easy to workout who the killer is and it is a bit far fetched that Clint's character would risk his new heart to catch a the killer but wasnt bad. Pretty good cast as well, Angelica Houston and Jeff Daniels are in it. Overall pretty good and worth the watch.

Manhattan murder mystery - 7/10

My experience on Woody Allen is so far incredibly weird, erratic and unpredictable. In general I enjoy his works but it seems I'm not totally into his style. This one was an enjoyable, hilarious at times experience, but also a little fast-paced/neurotic in its dialogues to fully appeal to my comedy tastes. I also liked the first half more than the second, maybe due to (spoilers)

the fact that the murder became an actually real thing. I was sort of disappointed because during the whole movie it was being used as a MacGuffin, and the stuff that mattered was the stagnation of the marriage relationship. The late revelations confirming its existence gave it a prominent role in the story and I became less interested.

Silence of the lambs - 10/10

One of the many tops of the 90s I still was yet to watch. Admittedly, I tend to be very receptive to these kinds of thriller narrations, but it was a pleasant surprise anyway, since for some reason I didn't expect to enjoy it to this level. Anthony Hopkins' performance as Hannibal Lecter was mesmerizing, it made the movie for me.

Just watched: Extraction... its like a lo-fi version of Inception but very good in its own way 7.5/10
Right now watching ...Bueno Vista Social club. Half way through but already rating it a 9/10

Give me all of your candy!

Super (Gunn, 2010)

Best movie of the week so far for me.

Ivan's Childhood by Andrei Tarkovsky

Best feature-length directorial debut I've ever seen. Also one of my favorite Criterion covers.

i watched memories of a murder, i think recommended by someone here.
it was good, even though i'm not a big murder mystery guy it kept me entertained. it was different than any movie i've seen so far, it had that going for it too.

So I have just finished Black Book, by Paul Verhoeven (2006).

Despite its apparent classicism, this movie turns very soon to become a sample of what this director seems to do so greatly: unsubtle and over-the-top imagery. Expositional dialogues, unbelievable coincidences, blood splatters, explicit nudes...

In the middle, though, a very exciting and well-paced story about espionage and double agents in the nazi occupied Netherlands; however

WARNING: "" spoilers below
once the surrender comes, Verhoeven doesn't simply stop there and attacks on the double standards of the winners, shaping a portrayal of the post-World War II Europe, its thirst for reprisal, that I have never seen in a movie.

I didn't love everything about this movie though, and wasn't very fond of the comedic attempt at one particular scene involving a certain religious murder, but it's overall a great one.

By the way, how does the spoiler button work exactly? I don't seem to have understood it...

I'm sorry for doubleposting, but I (re)watched Gladiator.

First, the good: it is a very competent story in its purpose; it's epic when it has to be, and emotional when it has to be. The director clearly knows how to handle the emotions, and this is specially noticeable at the final scene, which is easily the greatest of this movie. The pacing for such a long story is very well-distributed, which means that regardless of how little I actually emotionally get from this work, I keep entertained and that's a big enough merit.

The character development, however, is very shallow, they basically don't show change through the whole story and the only one who may have a noticeable development, Maximus, is sort of burdened by an inefficient performance of Russell Crowe. This wouldn't be a problem if the time exposition of this movie wasn't so large, but it ends up tiring. Its main problem is that it depends on those moments of epicness and tragedy, and the rest are lacking. Simply because the characters are not interesting. At times, I enjoyed the scenes at the emperor's palace more than the whole drama of Maximus.

The soundtrack is another issue I have. It really drove me nuts at some times. I didn't understand the aesthetical choice behind Now we are free at the ending. Just no.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Watched We Own the Night. It sounds weird but it is one of my favorite bad movies to watch. I like the work of Duval, Wahlberg, Phoenix, and yes, even Eva Mendes, so watching them all in the same film is fun. Though the film itself is a bit of a mess.

5.5/10

I'm sorry for doubleposting, but I (re)watched Gladiator.

First, the good: it is a very competent story in its purpose; it's epic when it has to be, and emotional when it has to be. The director clearly knows how to handle the emotions, and this is specially noticeable at the final scene, which is easily the greatest of this movie. The pacing for such a long story is very well-distributed, which means that regardless of how little I actually emotionally get from this work, I keep entertained and that's a big enough merit.

The character development, however, is very shallow, they basically don't show change through the whole story and the only one who may have a noticeable development, Maximus, is sort of burdened by an inefficient performance of Russell Crowe. This wouldn't be a problem if the time exposition of this movie wasn't so large, but it ends up tiring. Its main problem is that it depends on those moments of epicness and tragedy, and the rest are lacking. Simply because the characters are not interesting. At times, I enjoyed the scenes at the emperor's palace more than the whole drama of Maximus.

The soundtrack is another issue I have. It really drove me nuts at some times. I didn't understand the aesthetical choice behind Now we are free at the ending. Just no.

Good review. I felt much the same way about this film. I might even give it a slightly lower rating. Saw it when it first came out and don't plan to watch it again.

Despite all the great production work that went into creating this believably epic canvas, the movie's central dynamic between the Russell Crowe and Joaquim Phoenix characters was so cliche as to make the film tiresome.

Princess Mononoke
Third Miyazaki film I've seen, others being My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away.

Got to say this one was my favourite, and just maybe my favourite animated film i've seen.

Don't think i'd have ever discovered that film had i not come on to this forum.

10/10

I discovered Miyazaki just screening through the IMDB's top 250, best thing a film list ever did for me. I was a bit hesitant to watch his films at first (since they are cartoons) but after reading Roger Ebert's review of Spirited Away I decided to try it.

Last movies I watched, from my MoFo Hall of Fame marathon:

American History X - It has been years since the last time I watched this movie. Very, very good, but lacks a certain measure of complexity and the cinematography is a bit bland (they also have to zoom in so much that the actor faces are bigger than the screen?).

Robocop - I was really impressed by it, re-watching it since the last time I saw it 5-6 years ago. Really. It is not, technically, a very well executed movie, but in it's simplicity it has some grace and elegance. And the science fiction concept is also very interesting. Overall, I would say it is among the best science fiction films I ever watched.
+