Roger Ebert on Cloud Atlas

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
Roger Ebert, the great film critic in one of his final reviews gave the movie a famed 4 out of 4 stars. He said it is "one of the most ambitious films ever made" and

"Even as I was watching Cloud Atlas the first time, I knew I would need to see it again. Now that I've seen it the second time, I know I'd like to see it a third time ... I think you will want to see this daring and visionary film ... I was never, ever bored by Cloud Atlas. On my second viewing, I gave up any attempt to work out the logical connections between the segments, stories and characters."

For people who are familiar with my posts, I may be sounding a little obsessed with Cloud Atlas, I've banged on about how it is one of the truly great science fiction epics and severely underrated (completely ripped off at the Oscars). Now, having recently seen the box office figures, it seems the movie has barely made over 100 million dollars world wide... That shocked me more than anything else.

I always knew it wasn't going to be a huge hit but I thought the movie would make enough money to be labelled a financial success but it seems many people have missed out on one of 2012s biggest and best films.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
One of the most powerful experiences I've ever had in a cinema. My favourite of 2012.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
T'was an under-appreciated, magnificent, emotionally gripping, bold & brilliant film that left me in tears, ask TylerDurden99, he was there.

I haven't seen it, but I doubt it can be that great if critics and audiences alike weren't very impressed. Then again, history has revised plenty of originally mediocre movies like The Shining and Vertigo to be epic masterpieces later on.

I am the Watcher in the Night
I haven't seen it, but I doubt it can be that great if critics and audiences alike weren't very impressed. Then again, history has revised plenty of originally mediocre movies like The Shining and Vertigo to be epic masterpieces later on.
Very rarely go off the back of critics but one of the best, Roger Ebert himself called it a masterpiece. The reason audiences have given it a miss is because no one seemed to know it was being released. I think it was released in the US in October and over here in the UK in Feb...In that time we had Skyfall and Django, all far more marketable and pushed on every single billboard, poster and TV commercial I can remember. The Oscars followed and both were nominated in one way or another.

The God awful Zero Dark Thirty even got more coverage and awards

This was a simple case of Hollywood baulking at a big budget "arty" sci-fi movie that wouldn't be a straight up action sell, they couldn't just say "Hey look, explosions". WB have done a great disservice to the Wachowski's, the cast, Mitchell and most importantly the potential audience.