Movies That Are Underrated.....

Tools    

It's amazing whata difference your mental state can have on your rating of a film. Tropic Thunder was kind of 'meh' when I saw it the first time, but after some gin-and-tonics, it was hilarious.

It was also pretty crazy to see that one of the guy's I work with, is a lot like Les Grosman.
I am pretty sure certain movies are meant to be enjoyed while either drunk or stoned. I like a 1981 animated movie called Heavy Metal, a good movie on it's own but when I showed it to my former roommate who was stoned, he thought it was the greatest movie ever. Then again this is a staple of the midnight movies since most everyone who goes to that movie is stoned off their ass.

I think Death to Smoochy was vastly underrated.
Death to Smoochy is one of those movies that I like a lot, but others seem to hate. Which is sad since I thought it was hilarious! I remember seeing it in theaters.

Death To Smoochy I remember thinking was alright when I watched it on dvd ages ago. Dunno if it will hold up today.

Not Enough Time
I strongly agree with Sleepers, Tank Girl, Death to Smoochy, and Jackie Brown.

I guess my choice is Burn After Reading. I never hear anyone talk about it, and no one seems to know about it (that I've mentioned it to). I think its a great movie! It's not your typical Coen brothers, its more like Raising Arizona.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom springs to mind right away. It's always been my personal favorite Indy film and I was so shocked to see the hatred it got years ago when I first started using the internet.

Ghostbusters II is another. I love both films the same and am sad to see the second film doesn't get the same love. I can understand thinking it's not as good as the first, but it doesn't deserve the scorn it often gets, either.

Chinese Ghost Story

Southern Comfort (1981)

Stone Cold (1991)- One of the greatest action movies ever.

Toy Soldiers (1991)

Superstition (1982) One of my favorite horror movies.

Sorcerer- Remake to "The Wages of Fear". It's an overlooked masterpiece.

Lifeforce- One of the nails in the coffin of Tobe Hooper's career, it's not for everybody but I love it.

Red- The one starring Brian Cox not Bruce Willis.

Intruder- Everyone loves Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness but no one remembers Intruder. Although it's not directed by Raimi it features him and his brother as actors and a short cameo by Bruce Campbell. It's directed by Scott Spiegel who co-wrote Evil Dead 2.

Wizards- Great animated post-apocalyptic fantasy film.

Splinter- Fantastic modern horror film. Reminded me of The Thing.

Felon- Great prison movie starring Stephen Dorff.

Runaway Train- Forgotten masterpiece from the 80s.

Rolling Thunder

Stalingrad- One of the greatest war films ever made.

Cross of Iron- Another fantastic war film that is criminally overlooked. Not to mention it's directed by Sam Peckinpah

The Border- One of Jack Nicholson's most overlooked roles.

I know it's acclaimed, but I don't hear many people talk about Badlands.
I consider it extremely overrated. It is nice I rated it
, but nothing that I could consider overrated considering that I have seem it on several top 10 favorite lists here. Nearly all movies in my top 10 favorites show up less in other's members lists. The films in my top 10 that show up more often in other's top 10 than Badlands are three.

I am the only member of MOFO with Totoro, for instance, on my top 10 favorites.

speedracer

I consider it extremely overrated. It is nice I rated it
, but nothing that I could consider overrated considering that I have seem it on several top 10 favorite lists here. Nearly all movies in my top 10 favorites show up less in other's members lists. The films in my top 10 that show up more often in other's top 10 than Badlands are three.

I am the only member of MOFO with Totoro, for instance, on my top 10 favorites.
Is this supposed to mean something?

Family like us
dear john
the wickers park
we brought a zoo
Perhaps if these really had been the movies' titles they would have received the recognition they deserved.

Donnie Brasco

Hulk (Ang Lee)

Lord of War

Sexy Beast

Is this supposed to mean something?
Yes. It means that if one says that Badlands is underrated so are the movies in my favorites list.

Though since this is an American forum, people here are biased towards watching more american movies naturally increasing the chances of an american movie like Badlands showing up on top 10's relative to non-English language movies. So maybe if one corrects for this fact, Badlands may be less popular than these movies on my top 10.