The Videogames Tab

Tools    

For Resi fans, theres a Resident Evil sale on the PS3 until the end of the month. Looks like my patience has paid off

Not sure what bundle to get though.

The original three games were groundbreaking for me, as was part 4 in it's own way.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/...ore-this-week/

Man, Spy Party is taking over my brain.

I dunno if I talked any of you into getting on the waiting list, but the invites are coming faster now. And the whole thing should be open in a few weeks. Would love to play/mentor a few of you MoFos if anyone's interested. It's a really exceptional concept that's already addictive even with the terrible graphics.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Ok then, I'll go on the waiting list.

I saw a good deal on the disc version of SimCity the other day and decided to buy it. For someone like me who's never been mad keen on the other Sim City games it's excellent. For people who really liked them, it's disappointing. Being EA, there's already enough DLC out to double the base price of the game. Not remotely tempted...

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I wanted to get Sim City but the price is like £50 or £65 for limited edition (which I like to buy usually incase I am missing out), plus the trainwreck launch and bugs the game is having have totally put me off. Think I will wait a few months.

I wanted to get Sim City but the price is like £50 or £65 for limited edition (which I like to buy usually incase I am missing out), plus the trainwreck launch and bugs the game is having have totally put me off. Think I will wait a few months.
It's just over £30 in Tescos for the standard edition. That's where I got it - They're great/clueless for PC games. Tiny selection but usually discounted pretty quickly - I got Guild Wars 2 there a couple of months after launch for £20 less than the digital download. SimCity hooks straight up to Origin so you can throw the disc away after install if having a digital copy is important.

I've not encountered anything major, bug-wise, so far. There have been a couple of major patches each day since I bought it.

Tatshire is looking for mayors.

EA are giving out free games to apologise to everyone who bought SimCity and presumably were caught up in the clusterf*ck which was its launch. By the time I'd bought it, the problems had gone but I'm still getting my free download.

It's a decent enough choice - Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, NFS Most Wanted etc. The only one which even remotely appealed to me (got ME3 already) was NFS.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Going to skip SimCity until they sort their **** out.

Went for XCOM: Enemy Unknown instead. Only played 2 hours but I'm fairly impressed.

It might be that I'm still in the tutorial but you don't seem to have the total control of the original, buying/selling stock to raise cash.

Gutted that I lost my best soldier in most recent mission, he was the one that survives very first mission. I like how they level up too, and I like how they have different specializations.

The maps can seem a little unclear as to where you can go etc.

Will give it a rating after I've played a bit more.

XCOM is excellent. My main criticism of SimCity is that it's too easy. I'm far from an expert in RTS games (in fact they usually bore me to tears before the tutorial is over) and I got a city with 100,000+ population and everything running smoothly after just a few attempts.

Played a few minutes of NFS Most Haunted (or whatever) last night. Basically it's Burnout Paradise with real cars, unsurprising seeing as Criterion is behind the NFS games now. Very nice for a freebie.

TUS - I think EA is firefighting big style. Huge criticisms of their DLC policy led them to announce the end of microtransactions, SmCity's launch (and always online requirement) went down like a lead balloon and their CEO has just resigned.

Indeed it is, and I've got reservations because of what I've read about it - Sounds more like an Assassins Creed game, but hopefully I'm wrong. At least they didn't end up calling it Thi4f.

Finished the main Dragonborn quest, by the way. I liked it as a DLC overall: Much meatier than Dawnguard but a bit too 'Morrowind's Greatest Hits' for my ultimate liking. Hey guys, here's a Stiltstrider (which doesn't work) ... and here's a Netch, in fact more Netch than Morrowind ever had. Feel the width! I love Morrowind's score above all the TES games' music but the sedate, almost mournful quality didn't suit the Skyrim world.

To be fair to Bethesda, at least there were no Cliffracers.

EDIT - Oh yeah. Apochrypha = The Fade. My favourite Dragon Age Origins mod is called 'Skip The Fade'.

Heh, I've been spending some time rearranging stuff on my hard drives since hooking up a little SSD for the more intensive games and re-installed Morrowind this morning. I've not done a playthrough in soooo long.

Morrowind Overhaul is fantastic and now that the game has a Nexus site, modding it is easier than ever.

Not bad for a game over a decade old in how they've been able to retexture everything but I'm pinning my hopes on Skywind for the ultimate experience.

I can't remember if I posted this before, but this discussion about The Last Testament of Sherlock Holmes is absolutely hilarious. The basic setup is that the European company that made it doesn't really understand how game demos are done, so they give away all sorts of plot details. Spoilers/some language follows:

The first 4-5 minutes are Justin McElroy talking about the E3 2011 demo, and then it shifts into the same guy talking about the next year, where they do the same sort of thing at E3 2012. It's seriously funny.

I'm still on the lookout for when the most recent game goes on (mega) sale on Steam. Put a few hours into SH v Jack The Ripper but its structure was a bit too much 'hunt the pixel' for me.

I wonder if they'll re-tool future games to be more in line with the Downey Jr Holmes (which I quite enjoyed) or keep it a Rathbone/Brett facsimile to appease the traditionalists (basically, me)?

EDIT - Crusader Kings II update ... oh yes! I ended my previous game having hit a brick wall - My vassals were all plotting against me and I couldn't fabricate any good claims on new territory. Seasoned strategy gamers might have called this 'gameplay' but I called it 'ballache'.

My new Duke inherited the title at age 9 and has turned into a total brat, with the help of his scheming Viennese mother. It's fun though - He's hiring mercenary armies and learning important life lessons at the same time.

If you didn't love the Ripper game I can't imagine you'll like this one more. I thought the Ripper one was really, really fantastic. And a good deal more inventive with the genre than this one, so it probably won't be your cup of tea. Or your pipe of opium, as it were. My wife and I play these because there are precious few games we can play together (IE: precious few new half-decent adventure games), she's a huge Sherlock buff, and the Ripper game has left us with a lot of residual goodwill for the series. But it's definitely a step down, I'd say, even though it looks a good deal better and is very atmospheric.

I keep meaning to replay the game, purely because of the atmosphere and me also being a big Holmes fan. I remember annoying my lecturers at Uni by writing a huge essay on Holmes and the Victorian detective novel because I should have been basing it on Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone.

I've heard (probably because you've said so ) that the latest game is a step down but when Steam do one of their sales the game will be too cheap *not* to buy.