Black Mirror

Tools    

I tend to avoid hyperbole but this is probably the most essential sci-fi of the decade. Worryingly prescient and believable satire about the role of social networking in modern society and the influences it can/will have on us. Written by Charlie Brooker, known for his acerbic tendencies, it's quite muted satire in favour of wide-appeal but just as cutting, perhaps even more so for it's subtle presence.

It's three, one hour long, standalone episodes. The first focuses on how social media has given the public a mass voice that can influence political decisions. The second where the virtual lives we lead can replace our real existence and the hollow soul vacuum of X-Factor and it's ilk. The third focuses on how technology can drive individual to obsessiveness and intrude on our own personal freedoms and break down relationships.

They're all well made sci-fi's, the first is in the modern day and is pretty outrageous, almost to the point of ridicule, yet the extremity makes the point. The second is the most futuristic, taking place in an entirely realised future, basically a more organised version of The Matrix. The third is not too far in the future but everyone has tech implanted that can recall, at will, recordings of you entire life either internalised or projected them.

Anyway, brief synopsis aside, I urge people to watch this genuinely enjoyable and insightful drama about the modern condition.

Watched the last one last night and, I'm afraid, I'm not too impressed with this. The last one was decent sci-fi, but I didn't really buy into the premise that everyone had one of these things. Also, although there wasn't any suggestion of this, I felt as if this were the first time this'd happened when, in reality, this would be a common event. None of it really rang true to me.

Of the other two, the first was odd because it felt as if it was too ridiculous (as you said) but then, we're only a few steps away from that kind of thing. Big steps, I'll grant you, but few in number. We already have 'celebs' eating insects/grubs/kangaroo penis/whatever for our entertainment/disgust/enjoyment, so it doesn't feel like too many steps away.

I think I liked the second the most, but it didn't really feel like satire, cutting edge or otherwise. Although I've not really been able to discuss it, I think that it might be because it's so close to my world view, that I don't see it as satire. I liked the 'Charlie Brooker' character, though I wonder how much was because he had to put his hand up to being taken into the machine and how much was regret that it has to be that way.

I'd have no problem watching them all again, though I can't say I think there's much point atm. Maybe in a few months.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to his "Wipe" of the year. Full venting fury is much more my style. None of this plot and charcters bollocks. Just take aim and fire.

It's just nice to see someone create some television with some awareness behind it. Like you say, they're all a few steps from complete believability but it is easy to see the logic and worrying how it can't be written straight off as ludicrous. The premise of the last episode was weaker than the others, however because i've been in that paranoid obsessive phase of thinking a partner was cheating, then digging around and finding out they have been, meant it rung truer in terms of character development, to the point the stretch of belief was muted.

For the last episode, I just meant that the downside is so obvious (not just with relationships, but with everything) that I couldn't believe that everyone would choose to have one.

I do agree that it's pleasing to see something trying to do something with purpose. Something different, as opposed to an excellent example of something.

Well, you don't necessarily know EVERY one had them, could have just been that social elite as they were but I think the point was more how technology/social media invades into our privacy than creating a plausible scenaria. The fact it was so unbelievable that everyone could have them was in part, the point- that it's invaded our lives without us considering all the downsides just because it's the flow of being 'part' of something, hence the shock at someone who didn't have one. People chose to have Facebook before it tracked your movement, had facial recognition etc yet despite the fact it's now almost a part of us and controls a lot of world, we still keep it.

That's all true, but it prevented me from buying into it. That said, I don't have a Facebook page, never used Twitter, not MySpace or any of the others, so I guess I didn't buy into the real version either.

As with this drama, I've never seen the point of any of them and only seen the downsides, hence not having anything to do with them.

Lastly, I would hope that they weren't the social elite. Middle classes, sure, but the social elite. The current social elite is depressing enough.

Didn't anyone else here see these?

What about the other two, Pyro. Did you find them funny? Because that's another problem I had with them, especially the first. I got the impression it was suppopsed to be funny and I've certainly heard that some did, but apart from the odd joke here and there, I didn't.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'd say upper middle at least, with their sports cars, swanky pads. Certainly got the impression the tech was aimed at high end consumers.

I only found the second amusing in it's deconstruction of X-Factor but I suppose the abusive guy on the bike was meant for comic relief and maybe the absurdity of it but didn't see it as complete jokes.

Yeah, she's a fit one she is. I think that Lenora Crichlow is going to be in the next ep, and she'd get a good seeing to as well.

I didn't care too much for the last series, but I'll give it another try.

Saw this today.

Robert Downey Jr to make movie based on Charlie Brooker's 'Black Mirror'

Robert Downey Jr has bought the film rights to an episode of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror.

The Iron Man star will adapt Jesse Armstrong's script 'The Entire History of You' for the big screen, reports Broadcast.

Downey Jr is said to have beaten off competition from George Clooney to acquire the rights.

The original 'Entire History of You' aired on Channel 4 in December 2011 and was set in a near-future world in which everyone has a memory chip implanted in their head. The chip allowed the user to re-watch moments from their past, leading to dark consequences.

Toby Kebbell (Wrath of the Titans) played the lead role in the hour-long drama, penned by Peep Show scribe Armstrong.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...ck-mirror.html

Bit underwhelmed by last night.

Great central concept but then went a horrible tangent for second half that stretched plausibility and retreaded ground covered better by others who've had more time. Would have liked the first half taken further and explored in more detail as the results of our reliance on social networking was actually scarily believable

I liked the first ep of the new series. Yeah, it's familiar ground, and yes, they needed more than 45 mins to develop it, but I was still able to suspend disbelief. 'The Next Level' was basically an exaggerated version of a future that we're pretty much heading towards if we continue on the way we are with computers and social media and ****.

My favourite episode so far has been the Toby Kebbell with the chips in the head. The most believable and probably the most frightening of all futures depicted yet.

I don't know, but I've not heard anything.

Watched the first of the new series and I liked it more than any of the first series. However, while I liked it more, I felt that it asked a lot less. Unlike the previous series, this was a thought-provoking drama. There was no attempt at satire and I thought it was the better for it. That said, it felt a little like a watered down retelling of The Entire History of You, the third of the last series.

That last episode was creepy stuff indeed. Very good premise and execution.

Just finished binging on 13 episodes of sci-fi "Black Mirror". My top 6 episodes were:

1. "White Christmas" Special- truly most creative and versatile episode which delves in so many themes, never signals where it is going with so many surprises.
2. S3E1 "Nosedive"- ratings as social status concept realized to it's fully ridiculous conclusion. I was invested from the start in this rather funny portrayal of "likes" system.
3. S2E2 "White Bear"- I appreciate how twisted in so many ways this episode is.
4. S1E3 "The Entire History of You"- I enjoyed how 100% memory and ability to share it is explored in this episode.
5. S3E3 "Shut Up and Dance"- it starts slow, but as it gets going it becomes real thrill ride.
6. S3E6 "Hated in the Nation"- in format it's pretty standard crime episode, but it becomes exceptional by taking the flow in new and more intriguing directions with wider implications.