Jane-Howard Carrington (script)
Frederick Knott (play)

Starring
Audrey Hepburn
Richard Crenna
Alan Arkin
Jack Weston

Wait Until Dark

Plot – Photographer Sam Hendrix is returning from a plane trip when an encounter at the airport leaves him in possession of a doll. Unbeknownst to him the doll is stuffed with heroin. When he takes the doll home to his wife Susy (Hepburn), who was recently left blind, he has no idea of the danger he has placed her in,. They may not know about the heroin but the dangerous trio of Harry Roat (Arkin), Mike Talman (Crenna) and Carlino (Weston) do. Unable to locate the doll on their own they concoct an elaborate plan to have Susy herself reveal its location to them. Impersonating a series of character they attempt to manipulate the information out of her. But the blind Susy turns out to be much more resourceful than we, or they, could ever imagine.

This is a very intelligent and classy suspense thriller from Terence Young, director of three of the first four James Bond films. As I've said on here before I can trace most thrillers back to the Master of Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, in some way or another but this one is more obvious than most. There's an immensely strong Hitchcock vibe to proceedings, with a few of the Master's films in particular feeling very much in the same vein as this effort from Bond veteran Terence Young. With its stagey feel and almost exclusive use of a single, one-apartment set there is an obvious link to the likes of Dial M for Murder and Rope. Like both of those films, Wait Until Dark also details a unique mystery where one set of characters holds more knowledge than the other person and attempts to manipulate the situation for their own good. And like Dial M for Murder, telephones will play a large part in proceedings. The other Hitch classic this evokes is 1954's Rear Window. Both films feature a hero who is restrained by a physical limitation which places them in a precarious position. In Rear Window, it was L.B. Jeffries' broken leg which confined him to his apartment, while here it is our heroine's blindness that places obstacles in her path. Such were the similarities to those films mentioned that it came as no real surprise to find that the man who wrote the original play, Frederick Knott, was also the man responsible for the story of Dial M for Murder.

Audrey Hepburn is terrific as Susy, creating one of my favourite screen heroines that I've seen in quite some time. First of all I will say that I haven't ever had any real contact with a blind person. Perhaps people who have would think differently of her performance, but I thought Hepburn's depiction of the blind Susy Hendrix was thoroughly impressive and convincing. She highlights the difficulties the character faces with her adjustment to her recent blindness, but shows her overcoming these trials to emerge as an independent and resourceful. She just imbues Susy with such depth and compassion as she depicts the weaknesses her blindness has created, but also some unexpected strengths. It's not just her performance that marks her out as an ideal piece of casting. Her appearance feels a perfect fit for the character. With her angelic face, pixie style hairdo and her thin, slight frame she seems like the natural choice to portray the character's fragile and frail demeanour and situation as that of a blind woman being terrorised and manipulated by the scheming trio.

Film trivia - The film's star, Hepburn, and its director, Terence Young, had a lengthy and incredible history. During World War II, a 16 year old Hepburn was a volunteer nurse at a Dutch hospital. During the battle of Arnhem, the hospital received many wounded Allied soldiers. One of the injured soldiers that Hepburn helped nurse back to health was a young British paratrooper who just happened to be named Terence Young. More than twenty years later that same paratrooper would then direct that same nurse in this film.
As amazing as she is however, Hepburn almost has the movie stolen away from her by an uncharacteristically creepy Alan Arkin. In the role of the villainous Roat he is tremendously sleezy and threatening, bringing a really ominous sense of unease any time he appears on screen. His unique appearance just adds to his sadistic and threatening presence, particularly the fact that his eyes are constantly hidden. The most obvious comparison would have to be Jean Reno in Leon. However with his fringey moptop and sunglasses I got a real Beatles vibe from him. Add in the appropriate time frame of 1967 and I really think we might be looking at the evil fifth Beatle!!! Take a look at my little mock-up below and see what you think. While it's the performances of Hepburn and Arkin that you'll come away remembering, they are given strong back-up in the form of the supporting cast of Richard Crenna, Jack Weston and young Julie Herrod.

I admire the film for not taking the easy route in its attempts to build tension. It doesn't pepper the film with jump scares, or scenes of easy tension where sy a character is waiting in a room with a gun for someone to enter. The film takes its time and really delivers a slow build. The opening half hour in particular is really rather ponderous and wordy, and I felt myself struggling with it, wondering what I was in for. However I would certainly advise anyone to stick with it as it's certainly worth it. Once it's taken its considerable time to set out the game we're playing and all of the players, you get a really intelligent and gripping experience which kept me fascinated right until the end. Even if you ignore the film's fashion and décor you can still tell Wait Until Dark is at least 30 years old just as a result of this approach. There's no way I could see this film being made today in such a fashion, with such a subtle, slow build. Oh and while talking about the tense and gripping nature of the film, I have to give major credit to Henry Mancini. His haunting, ominous score goes a long way to creating that atmosphere throughout the film. And then he tops himself by really turning the screws for the superb finale which I'll talk about in a moment. While I'm handing out credit to the crew, Terence Young deserves credit for his smart direction and staging which ensures that not only is the single bed apartment set not a hindrance for the film but actually a strength.

And after that slow build, it then ramps things up spectacularly for the final showdown between Hepburn and Arkin. It's such a tense, edge of the seat close for the film and I just loved it. Having now worked out what is going on, Susy realises the danger she is in and does what she can to even the odds. In a bid to even the playing field, Susy attempts to smash all of the lights in the apartment, placing Roat in the same darkness as she experiences. With a large chunk of the sequence taking place in either total darkness or by the mere flicker of a lit match, it really is terrifically tense and suspenseful trying to determine what is actually going on and waiting to see what the outcome will be. And just when you think Roat is defeated, he returns from off-screen with a chilling leap at Susy. I'm not alone in admiring Wait Until Dark's finale. The heart-stopping climax ranked tenth on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments, and in "The Book of Lists: Horror", Stephen King placed the confrontation between Hepburn and Arkin at #1 on his list. At the time of its release, some theatres actually turned off all the lights in the cinema to heighten the fear and panic of the audience. That would have been quite cool to experience.

Conclusion – This is a cracking thriller. Smart direction, some powerhouse performances and an effective score go a long way to creating a menacing and gripping experience. Highly recommened stuff if you can get past its initially slow burn. While I'm guessing it's fairly obvious from my score and review that I was pretty enamoured with the film on this, my initial viewing, there's something about the film that makes me think it's one that could really grow on me into a true favourite.

Bonus Film trivia – As I noted earlier Wait Until Dark was originally a play. A revival of the play was staged in 1998 at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre, and ran for 97 performances. The cast included Marisa Tomei, Stephen Lang and most interestingly Quentin Tarantino!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I adore Audrey Hepburn and I like Wait Until Dark enough, even though I do have a couple of problems with it. (I thought it was unintentionally funny in spots) Have you seen The Children's Hour? That's my second favorite performances of her's after Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Are you also an admirer of the lovely Tina Fey or are you more talking about the likes of Mila Kunis and/or Kristen Wiig?

People on the forum or actual people in real life?
Well, now that you like it, both.

I am an admirer of Ms Fey. Though you also get Mila Kunis (who's nice to look at, but not particularly attractive for reasons I don't understand), Kristen Wiig and Leighton Meester.

Wait Until Dark is a great film. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed it, though I'd say it's better than the Hitchcock films you mentioned. There again, I'm not a fan.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Gotta rep you for the photos HK! Especially the second. I really do rather love her. She's smart, funny and beautiful but with a bit of a geeky appeal to her.

I adore Audrey Hepburn and I like Wait Until Dark enough, even though I do have a couple of problems with it. (I thought it was unintentionally funny in spots) Have you seen The Children's Hour? That's my second favorite performances of her's after Breakfast at Tiffany's.
No not seen The Children's Hour. I have to admit I've seen shamefully little of her work. Keep meaning to borrow my mum's Hepburn boxset to really get into her films.

No not seen The Children's Hour. I have to admit I've seen shamefully little of her work. Keep meaning to borrow my mum's Hepburn boxset to really get into her films.
Another one to see might be Sabrina. I haven't seen Children's Hour either but I love her in Wait Until Dark. Not so much in Roman Holiday.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Wolfgang Petersen

Written by
Edward Khmara (script)
Barry Longyear (novel)

Starring
Dennis Quaid
Louis Gossett Jr.
Bumper Robinson
Brion James

Enemy Mine

+

Plot – In the distant future, human beings are venturing further and further out into the cosmos. This quest to discover and colonise the galaxy however brings them into conflict with an alien race known as Dracs. During a space battle an Earth soldier, William Davidge (Quaid), and a Drac pilot, Jeriba Shigan (Gossett Jr.) both crash-land on a deserted planet. While Davidge is initially taken captive, both individuals soon realise that if they are to survive they will have to put aside their differences and work together. Over the months of hunting and building shelters the two eventually become friends. Which is just as well because Dracs are hermaphrodites. And they are able to get pregnant without any help; something that does indeed happen on this desolate planet. And Davidge is going to be vital to the child's survival.

I think the opening ten minutes of this film are incredibly important if you're to enjoy it. In those first ten minutes alone you'll be subjected to some dated and clunky effects, some wooden and melodramatic acting, and some cringeworthy dialogue. If you aren't able to go along with it then you could be in for a very long night. If you can go with it and get into the spirit of things however, you may be able to find an enjoyable little flick.

It's quite a curious little film. As far as science-fiction alien films go it's quite an unusual take on the genre, presenting a smaller and more personal tale than is the norm. In place of explosions and large-scale battles we have what is basically a two-hander for the majority of the running time as two characters interact with each other and attempt to survive on an inhospitable planet. It's got a real western vibe to it in line with films like Dances With Wolves, Little Big Man and Jeremiah Johnson in that it places two individuals from warring factions together and forces them to co-operate. While the relationship in those films is typically between a 'white man' and an 'indian', the difference here is that's between a human and an alien species known as dracs. As the sole survivors on a deserted planet they are forced to interact and rely on each other for their continued survival. As well as learning each others languages they also come to understand and respect each other's cultures and beliefs. And eventually were they started as enemies, they have now become close friends.

Film trivia - Enemy Mine's production was certainly a troubled one. Originally directed by Richard Loncraine and shot in Iceland, the project was shut down when Loncraine and the producers ran into 'creative differences'. After firing Loncraine, Wolfgang Petersen was hired in his place. Petersen decided against using any of Loncraine's footage and re-shot the whole movie, meaning the budget ballooned from $17 million to over $40 million.
I made a note earlier about some wooden and melodramatic acting, and I feel that is certainly true for just about every performance outside of the two main stars. Its fortunate then that for about 90% of the film they are the only two actors to be found on screen. While I may not cite him as a truly great actor, I've always found Dennis Quaid to be quite a likeable and engaging personality in films such as Dreamscape, Innerspace and Frequency. And though he himself feels a bit forced when he's asked to shout and get dramatic, for the most part he lives up to those attributes. Short-tempered but also very jovial he's got a bit of a space cowboy vibe to him. In the role of the drak Jeriba, Louis Gossett Jr. contributes a very impressive showing. It can be very easy when taking on the role of an alien to overplay it and create something awful, but Gossett is pretty terrific at developing a character that while very human does have an alien presence to him. Together the two have a really nice chemistry and its their relationship that keeps the film on track and provides the main source of enjoyment. As a result of this you come to care about the characters to such an extent that the moment were Jeriba gives birth is actually quite moving.
mirror

While some of the effects in terms of the spaceships might now look a bit dated, the alien make-up (pictured opposite) still holds up as being very impressive. Provided by Chris Walas, and taking four hours to apply every day, the make-up goes a long way to creating the drac character of Jeliba, or Jerry as he comes to be known. Oh and Quaid wears quite a wild, Tom Hanks in Cast Away style beard. Also well realised is the planet itself which is presented in a convincing and elaborate fashion.

The only really weak area of the film I felt was its third act. Sadly the film falls into some clichéd sci-fi territory in terms of stereotypical villains and action, and is chock-full of highly unlikely deus ex machina plot contrivances that just prove way too convenient. Its forced happy ending didn't really satisfy either and suffered for it, though the blow is lessened a little with a lovely final shot set on the beautiful planet of Draco.

Conclusion - There's no doubt that the film is rather cheesy and hokey in places, but I feel that it's heart is certainly in the right place. Its intentions and the morales it is built on are commendable, and it is rather good fun. It's all about not judging a book by its cover, about respecting the beliefs and religions of other people, and honouring your descendants. Worth a watch for a couple of strong performances and impressive alien make-up.

PS - Feeling pretty sick of late so while I wouldn't go quite as far as saying I phoned it in, certainly not my usual level of effort I don't think for this review.

This was one of those films that everyone loved... Except me. Boring, boring film. This always seems to get mentioned in the same breath as The Last Starfighter. Now, they're both crap, but The Last Starfighter is, at least, somewhat entertaining.

I pretty much agree with your assessment . Cheesy, but likeable, film.
Thanks Amy.

This was one of those films that everyone loved... Except me. Boring, boring film.
I saw Enemy Mine a couple years back... found it boring as hell. Might have to give it another go at some point though...
I can understand how you both felt this way. It's certainly not a film to get especially excited about, but I was able to buy into the buddy relationship between the characters and get a decent amount of pleasure from that.

That said though, even if I quite enjoyed it, with the nature of the film and both of you calling it boring I was surprised to see it with a relatively high score of 6.7 on imdb.

Another one to see might be Sabrina. I haven't seen Children's Hour either but I love her in Wait Until Dark. Not so much in Roman Holiday.
Welcome to the thread winter. Only took you 37 pages!

Anyway thanks for the rec. Sabrina is another that I'd like to see at some point and is in my mum's boxset. The only films of hers that I have seen so far are Wait Until Dark, How to Steal a Million and her really minor role in Lavender Hill Mob. Think I've seen another but can't think of the name at the moment.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Jan De Bont

Written by
Jan De Bont
Randall McCormick
Jeff Nathanson

Starring
Sandra Bullock
Jason Patric
Willem Dafoe
Temuera Morrison

Speed 2: Cruise Control

-

Plot – Annie Porter (Bullock) has split up with her SWAT boyfriend from the first Speed film, and fallen in love with a cop (Patric) who has a nice safe patrol on the beach. Or so she thinks! Turns out he too is a SWAT agent. In an effort to assuage her anger he takes her on a Caribbean cruise. A holiday in paradise right?Not with John Geiger (Dafoe) around it won't be. A disgrunted computer genius who designed the ship's computer, he is now dying from copper poisoning, and furious at the company for letting him go wants revenge. He disables the ship and plans to steal a large cache of diamonds that are on board. But he hadn't counted on Annie and her new fella!

Oh fate can be a cruel and wicked mistress sometimes. Rodent recently reviewed this film and in his thread I mentioned how I had never seen this film despite loving the first Speed film. Well just a couple of days later and I see it's on TV. Was it fate? Was it a sign? Ignoring the fact that it's actually on TV on a surprisingly regular basis I decided to take it as such. Well to be honest it was more of a cruel trick than anything else. Anyway onto the review and let me start my review by asking a question.

If a tree falls in the forest and there's no-one around to here it, does it make a noise? And in that same vein; if an action film has no action can you still classify it as an action film? Ok perhaps saying it has no action is a bit over the top but it's certainly not the action-packed spectacle you would expect. There are barely any examples of classic action genre tropes such as explosions, gunfights, hand to hand combat etc. For the first 20-30 minutes the film is basically just a romance piece about the relationship between Annie and Alex (a romance I honestly could not care less about) with merely the odd hint at the threat Geiger is going to pose later. For a large chunk of the running time it then morphs into a disaster film in the Poseidon Adventure mould. So for what feels like an hour the only 'action' is watching people wobble from side to side to mimic the ship's movements, very much like the old Star Trek series. It's only as the film nears its conclusion that you could say it becomes a classic piece of action. And I mean classic as in typical of the genre, not as in its good! Even then the moments of action are poorly handled and underwhelming, though the moment where the boat crashes straight into the middle of a town is kind of cool. Kind of!

Film trivia – Keana Reeves made perhaps the wisest decision of his career not to return for this sequel, instead opting to go on tour with his band Dogstar. However even those who did star in the film seemed to do it only for ulterior motives. Jason Patric used his entire salary for the film to finance his own film, Your Friends & Neighbours. While Sandra Bullock only agreed to return merely to get her pet project, Hope Floats, off the ground.
The film is spectacularly stupid! I would say the script appears to have been written by a 12-year-old, but I think that would be harsh on 12-year-olds all over the world. And the stupidity kicks in right from the opening moments. The Die Hard films are sometimes ridiculed for the amazing coincidence that John McClane always seems to find himself in trouble. At least it has the reasoning of him being a cop, recognising trouble and feeling the duty to make things right. To place Annie in peril for a second time the writers come up with the genius idea of having her fall in love for the second time (and unwittingly by the way) with a SWAT officer, following her romance with Reeves' SWAT officer Jack Traven in the original Speed. To fall for two SWAT officers, and then randomly end up in such danger twice – what are the odds? Whatever they are its incredibly tough to buy into. And then you've got the villain's backstory. Geiger is apparently dying from copper poisoning as a result from working with computers for so long! What?!!! And his solution to try and beat it? Use leeches to suck out the copper and extend his life! WHAT?!!! What in the hell are you talking about? It basically comes across as an excuse just to give him a gimmick (the leeches) in line with a Bond villain or something. The Bond franchise had already taken the facial scars, metal teeth, mechanical hands and eh...a third nipple? So apparently all they had left was leeches!

Willem Dafoe is a good actor and someone I personally quite like. However his character is a basic rent-a-villain and Dafoe is given absolutely nothing to work with. As a result he is relegated to laughing maniacally as his only way to try and create menace. He really could have done with some minions under his control to add a bit of colour to proceedings. While it's perhaps just as likely that a sole individual with a computer can cause as much havoc as a whole team of goons, it's nowhere near as fun. I've got to say that I really like Sandra Bullock, I find her to be a rather delightful screen presence. However she is completely undermined by the writing here which turns her likeable character from the original Speed into a mere annoyance here. Filling in for the departed Keanu Reeves, Jason Patric is spectacularly bland as the hero of the piece. He appears so far out of his comfort zone and comes across so incredibly wooden. You really know you've had a bad day when you're outshone in terms of charisma and charm by Ted “Theodore” Logan. Together Patric and Bullock have absolutely zero chemistry together, and throughout the film I was just wondering why exactly is Annie with this guy?

With all of these complaints and flaws it may seem strange to say but I actually didn't completely hate this. I wouldn't say I particularly liked it either but I really didn't find it all that dreadful, certainly not the massive turkey I expected. Perhaps that played a big part. Had I gone to the cinema back in 1997 expecting a good film I'd have been crushed. But all these years later and after everything that's been said I knew I was in for a dreadful film. But I found it a pretty easy watch and it seemed to breeze by pretty quickly and painlessly, perhaps in a so bad it's entertaining kind of way. Though as I mentioned at the end of my Enemy Mine review I'm very much under the weather at the moment so perhaps I'm a little delusional! Or maybe I was happy just to switch my brain off and go along for the ride. At least I didn't go as insane as Roger Ebert who somehow gave this 3 out of 4 stars!!!

Conclusion – So how do you follow up Speed, one of the definitive movies of the action genre? With the absolute palest of imitations! A film which disposes with all of the best elements of the first film (Reeves, the frenetic pace, the playful and likeable personality Annie had, a proper villain, an actual sense of danger and threat, memorable set-pieces) and retains...well not much. A film which feels like one of those straight to DVD, cash-in sequels or even pretty close to a parody of the original.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I had to look Roger Ebert's review up. Not that I didn't believe you, I just had to see why he would rate this piece of junk so high. Apparently he found it to be one of those "so bad it's good" movies, but I think it's just bad. I didn't much care for the first one either, but it was at least watchable.

Had I gone to the cinema back in 1997 expecting a good film I'd have been crushed.
I don't think that would've happened, JD. Believe me, everyone who had the slightest interest in cinema knew this was DOA. Of course, there must've still been people who went and were disappointed, but that's why they're mouthbreathers.

You still gave it
though
Well a
- to be fair! And I really wasn't sure how to rate it. On technical qualities alone it would be lucky to scrape 1 star! But as I said I found it a fairly easy watch. I've struggled more with supposed all time classics! Though thinking about it perhaps most of that was down to marvelling at how bad it was, and thinking about how I could rip into it in my review!

I knew you'd like it really.
Wow you really think that little of my taste?!!!

Then watch Breakfast At Tiffany's. You can stop after that.
Ouch. You've boiled her whole career down to just Breakfast at Tiffany's and Wait Until Dark? Harsh!

Of course, there must've still been people who went and were disappointed, but that's why they're mouthbreathers.
You know what HK, I think it's about time you stopped pussy footing around, stopped holding back, and just told us how you really feel about things and people!

Well, she's in The Children's Hour and Bloodline, neither of which I've seen, but I may still be right, as nothing else on her filmography that I've not seen appeals. I've never gotten what was so great about her.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
What's up with the ridiculous (and unidentified) Audrey Hepburn bashing? She's too pencil-thin for you?

I'm not bashing, I just don't see what's so good about her and many/most of her films. At least, those that I've seen. I feel the same way about Elizabeth Taylor and Grace Kelly.