Movies That Are Underrated.....

Tools    

Yes, a must watch, far more to it than the remake, plot wise and all.

I know many love to hate, but I thought the remake did a good job of expanding the original's opening into a full length film.

Ya I actually think the remake wasnt all to awful. The a acting was crap, but it made the intro of the original into pretty much full length. Neccesarly or not they pace well IMO. But the original is far superior. One of the scariest of all time

I'm guessing you've posted a picture which, if you have, isn't showing.
It was this one...

The definition of underrated and overrated applied to art basically means how much your own tastes diverge from the average tastes of the film going population or of the average tastes of film critics.

Given that art is subjective such judgments are meaningless.

For me Spirited Away, with an average IMDB rating of 8.6 and rated above Citizen Kane in the top 250 is grossly underrated. It should be 10.0 and rated first at the top 250.

Among the recent times Hollywood, A Love Song for Bobby Long and Margot at the Wedding...both got around 6 in IMDB, think they should have had more...

Going by the IMDB ratings though many films would come in this...another just now comes to mind is Pather Pachali (SOng of the Little Road) by Satyajit Ray, which gets 8 in IMDB, should have been 10 out of 10.

Brian DePalma's The Bonfire Of The Vanities comes to mind.

Critically panned and commerically unsuccessful, but a clever and brilliant movie nonetheless.

Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, and Melanie Griffith were good in it, but it was Morgan Freeman who steals the show as the judge.

The most loathsome of all goblins
The obvious choice for me is Ridley Scott's Legend, which in my opinion is his best effort, and my favorite movie. Keep in mind I refer to the 2002 director's cut only, which isn't even really the same movie as the 1986 US theatrical cut.

I'm in complete awe every time I see it, the directing, cinematography, music, production design, make-up/prosthetics, it all coalesces into such a wonderful, majestic experience. Also the greater running time of the DC gives William Hjortsberg's screenplay room to breathe, really showing how great of a storyteller he is. Oh, and Tim Curry as Darkness is the greatest villain ever.

I've already stated how personal this film is to me, and while critics like it well enough, I wish it'd be more acclaimed with audiences. Robin Williams best film.

A lot of great Russian movies.
They are more or less not well known. But among film critics, the greatest Russian movies are anything but underrated. Tarkovsky and Eisenstein movies always show up in the top 30-40 greatest movies of all time.

There isn't lack of praise among professional critics to Tarkovsky and Eisenstein. There is lack of popular praise, but that's understandable since their movies are either very old or too inaccessible for the general population.

Last train from Gun hill.
Don't think this is anywhere near well known enough. Good solid western.