Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I finished watching Saw V and Sweeney Todd, and I have to say that for starters, Saw gets a bad wrap as a whole, and I think this movie, although brought about way too many stupid ideas, still remained consistent with its intelligent ideas. I think the biggest problem with Saw is that it tried to be too intelligent and stretched itself beyond its own means, projecting something on the screen that was contrasting to what it was actually meant to be, being more generic than innovative. As for Sweeney Todd, I found the movie to be absolute tremendous in-terms of entertainment value, and I think that the movie will probably wind up somewhere in my top-twenty. The execution in the acting, the cinematography that shows Tim Burton at his most inspired, and the story itself were something that I could easily fall head over heels for.

Frantic (1988)

Great modern noir film! Emmanuelle Seigner is absolutely stunning in this one! I love the atmosphere in this movie and the main song from Grace Jones. It really fits the movie.

Touch of Evil (1958)

Wonderful atmosphere! Orson Welles truly is a genius! I think this can become one of my favorite movies. It's certainly one of the best film noirs I've seen to date (and I love that genre).

Story about my mother: The Castrating Zionist
Le Coup de Berger
I had orignially thought that Jean-Marie Straub was the director, buy actually Jacques Rivette directed and Straub worked as the assistant director. An excellent introduction to French New Wave, everyone's invited. During the party I recognized the 2 biggest new wave directors, Jean-Luc Godard and Francois Truffaut. Truly excellent, very lovely black and white with that characteristic mystery theme of the French new wave.

La Plasir
My first Max Ophuls film, and I'd have to say I'm hooked. Surprisingly uplifting, it gives you that sense that all is well, people matter, have weight, words don't fall flat. I will certainly love to see more.

Tales That Witness Madness 1973

A horror anthology, stars Donald Pleasence as a psych. several years prior his Halloween role. A set of four short tales within a main story, a good bit of old time gore. I dug this flick.

that's what she said...
ELSEWHERE

3.5/5

It was a good "mystery". Not going to lay, I saw who the bad guy was within the first 20 mins but for someone who hasn't seen a million mystery thrillers, they would have been kept guessing till the last half hour. Anna Kendricks does fantastic in this thriller. I've only really seen her do comedy and chick flicks but she pulls it off. I see her as a great up and comming actress who will most likely be getting starring roles in the years to come. Also, Paul Wesley (Vampire Diaries Stephan) plays a bad boy and it was funny to see his "good guy" reputation from the show completely change with this different character. I do recommend watching it. It's one of those one and done movies unless you like it much more.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Touch of Evil (1958)

Wonderful atmosphere! Orson Welles truly is a genius! I think this can become one of my favorite movies. It's certainly one of the best film noirs I've seen to date (and I love that genre).
A great film! I still think Welles is the only person in cinema to really master lighting. The opening shot is one of the best in cinema, if you want to see truly great staging and camerawork, that's where to go. I still think it cuts just a little too soon, but nonetheless, it's masterful!

Frantic (1988)

Great modern noir film! Emmanuelle Seigner is absolutely stunning in this one! I love the atmosphere in this movie and the main song from Grace Jones. It really fits the movie.
Frantic often gets a good kicking, so I'm glad to see someone else likes it.

Babycall

Competent, yet predictable chiller from Scandinavia starring the awesome Noomi Rapace and Kristof Joner. It's atmospheric and there are some strong performances, but like I said, you've seen it all before.

3 stars out of 5.

yeah.. Frantic is good.

Total Recall (original) 10/10.
Total Recall remake 3/10

Babycall
Competent, yet predictable chiller from Scandinavia starring the awesome Noomi Rapace and Kristof Joner. It's atmospheric and there are some strong performances, but like I said, you've seen it all before.

3 stars out of 5.
That's pretty much every review I've heard/read about it. Decent yet predictable.

Story about my mother: The Castrating Zionist
The Extraordinary Adventure of Mr. West in the Land of the Bolsheviks

Old soviet silent film smashing the brutish image of the Bolshevik in American media. Very funny, wonderfully shot.

Quatermass and the Pit (1967) by Roy Ward Baker

Don't Look Now (1973) by Nicolas Roeg

Crumb (1994) by Terry Zwigoff

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) by Peter Weir

The Innocents (1961) by Jack Clayton

Bride of Frankenstein (1935) by James Whale

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995) by Todd Solondz

Persona (1966) by Ingmar Bergman

Down by Law (1986) by Jim Jarmusch

Close-Up (1990) by Abbas Kiarostami

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Saw The Dark Knight Rises for the 1st time. Overall, really good flick, though I was a bit surprised that Batman really didn't have a lot of screen time in comparison to the 1st two. There were so many characters that at times it was hard to keep track of. But overall, very solid cast and very well done. I couldn't help think about this cast and how many previous oscar contenders and winners are in this film.

Overall 8/10

Seven Psychopaths - 4/5 stars