Guaporense's top 100 favorite films

→ in
Tools    

My favorite films list is constantly mutating over the last few years as I have decided to watch films more constantly and also the fact that my film tastes matured. Currently there are several films in this top 100 list that I have watched as a teenager several times and were my favorites at the time I have watched them but I haven't re-watched them after I became an adult so my regard for these films may be overestimated: if I decide to watch them again maybe they wouldn't look that good (examples: Star Wars, Kill Bill and Lord of the Rings). Also, I haven't watched all the essential films from giants such as Kurosawa, Herzog, Lynch and Ozu, so expect also a change there.

Also one would notice the high amount of animated films in my top 100 (around 15 films of the 100 are animated, all Japanese). That's because I regard animation as holding higher artistic potential than film in the same way that painting holds photography: in animation and painting the artists have completely control over what they put in the picture while in photography and in film there isn't the same degree of freedom. Though most of my favorite films are live action because there are many more live action films (the US and Japan combined release about 1,100 films per year, of which only 30-40 are animated).

Though I expect this to change in the future (considering the trends animated films are becoming more and more popular and films like Avatar are pretty much animated, though in the US they are now mostly GCI films instead of hand-draw, which I think are superior: hand draw animation is real art, GCI looks like plastic). Animation also holds an advantage over live action in that one can do anything in animation for a far smaller cost than the special effects used in the Hollywood blockbusters. In essence the anime industry emerged in Japan simultaneously as the special effects driven US film industry in the wake of Star Wars and represented a low cost response to the multi million dollar special effect driven blockbusters from Star Wars onwards.

The particular position is not very important (a film at the 74th place is not really preferred to one at the 75th place, though a film at the 24th place is preferred to one at the 74th place).

Note the high number of classic films, that's because I am beginning to watch all the classic films and many have already replaced previous favorites at my top 100.

Let's begin:

100th - Vertigo

Comment: I found this Hitchcock's film to be very powerful, but slow and plodding at times. Thrillers are not among my favorite genres so the fact it made to the top 100 is a testament of its quality.

99th - District 9

Comment: One of the most interesting "underground" science fiction films and I love science fiction films, so expect many science fiction films to appear here.

98th - 12 Angry Men

Comment: A powerful courtroom drama that touches some of the most important elements of the judicial system.

97th - Master and Commander

Comment: A big historical epic blockbuster film, the likes that I love. Though it flopped at the box office (or maybe, one could say that it didn't make enough to cover its gargantuan cost, but it had big revenues).

I liked Vertigo and 12 Angry Men but they didn't stuck with me.I also have District 9 on my watchlist,I think it should be good.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
12 Angry Men and Vertigo are magnificent. Master and Commander is also a good movie.

12 Angry men and Vertigo are magnificent.

District 9 wasnt really my thing, but it was well made

96th - Gauche the Cellist

Comment: Isao Takahata is a genius, he was the first director to explore the potentialities of animation as a vehicle for serious feature length films (though Yuri Norstein and others already made serious short animated films). Here in this films we have one of the best scores ever for a film (most of Beethoven's 6th symphony).

Here is a detailed review (from: http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com.br/200...-review.html):
What a moving, entrancing movie is Gauche the Cellist. It is another sterling example of the very best Japanese animation has to offer. At its core, this movie is a love letter to classical music and pre-war rural Japan, but is so much more. I've often wondered what it would be like if Isao Takahata made a movie like Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro. I think he has.

Gauche is an adaptation of the poem by Kenji Miyazawa, one of Japan's most beloved storytellers. It tells the story of a young, musician who belongs to an orchestra in 1920's rural Japan. He struggles to keep up, but only frustrates the conductor, who scolds and berates him in front of the other musicians.

He can hit the notes, but he lacks the necessary passion. He can listen to Beethoven, but he can't hear him. So Goshu spends evening alone in his humble home, practicing and playing again again. It is then that he hears a scratch at the door.

And so begins a series of encounters, comic, surreal, and moving, with a number of forest animals. Each come to Goshu with their own requests and suggestions, usually asking him to play his cello for them. In each encounter, he believes he is teaching the animals (or in the case of the cat, teaching him a lesson), but at the story's end, he discovers that he has been the student all along. They have taught him how to hear the music.

Gauche the Cellist is a film of remarkable grace and beauty. The art style is unique among Japanese animation. People are rounded and carry weight, slightly pudgy. It's neither the lean look of the later Studio Ghibli films nor the bug-eyed, cupie doll anime style. Animation is fluid, but the directing is sparse and clean, with minimal camera movements.

The background artwork is simply spectacular, and it sticks with you in your head for days. Everything is drawn in richly saturated tones, and carries a weepy melencholy. You feel as though you are watching memories of long, lost rainy days projected on the screen.

Takahata had already long since mastered his style of natural realism, firmly in the style of Ozu and Renoir, and I find it a tremendous joy to watch this great artist in full command of his powers. He is also blessed with the talents and skills of animators and artists who spend several years creating this movie as a labor of love (the lead key animator, Shunji Saida, took cello lessons so that he could accurately capture the finger movements).

A good indication of this devotion is the remarkable way the music is integrated with Miyazawa's story. Beethoven's Pastorale comprises most of the score, filling this small, peaceful world with soul. Gauche is as much a film about Beethoven's symphony, a celebration of the transcendent power of music.

Gauche the Cellist carries a lightwieght, dreamy realism, blessed with the same flights into imagination that brought a mythic romanticism to Anne of Green Gables and later in Omohide Poro Poro. Unlike Miyazaki, who also masterfully fuses fantasy and realism, Takahata's fantasy sequences have a special intimacy; hallowed moments where you share another person's heart and soul. It's intensely personal, and there has never been another filmmaker, animated or otherwise, who does it better.

I think this is an astonishingly beautiful movie, perhaps because of its unique qualities, perhaps of how many details are crammed into its 63 minutes. There is a scene, almost a throwaway scene, when the orchestra plays at the local theatre for the silent movies. What does this have to do with the overall plot? Nothing at all. It just feels like a snapshot of life, and then quickly becomes wickedly funny as the cat-and-mouse cartoon on the movie screen is interrupted by a real mouse. The women are in a panic, and the children are cheering with abandon.

The movie climaxes with the orchestra's recital at the music hall in front of the town. Notice the sheer dedication to the music here. Observe how carefully the movements of the musicians are captured. For his encore, Gauche performs alone with "The Indian Tiger Hunt," a very complex and intense piece of music. The audience in the hall is silent, captivated, awed. So are we.

After the symphony, the normally gruff conductor is so awed by the cheers of the audience that he abruptly runs into the bathroom. He is overcome with emotion, and we are given a moment to pause and share the tears. Takahata brings out more pure emotion in his animated films than nearly every live-action filmmaker who ever lived.
95th - Rocky

One of my "guilty pleasures". It is not an artistically sophisticated film, more of a character driven film that was the highest grossing in the US in 1976 and simultaneously won the oscar for best picture. Though is not a film that I plan to revisit again soon. Since it is a plot driven film it is better the first time and loses edge when watched several times over.

94th - The Aviator

A powerful film by Scorsese, in fact, I would say that I prefer The Aviator over other, much more celebrated films by the director, like Ranging Bull and Goodfellas (these didn't click on me in the same way).

93th - The Elephant Man

Another film about the life of a real person. I found Lynch's film very powerful, though I haven't tested if it survives repeated viewings.

I came very close to breaking in Tears during The Elephant Man, and extremely sad examination of human nature and judgment

Vertigo at 100th- you sure are starting out strong, but I'd rank it about 99 spots higher

Love 12 Angry Men and The Elephant Man is very good too, though far from my favorite Lynch. Haven't seen the others.

I like the list. Gorsch the Cellist is a sweet little film and it's nice to see it get some appreciation. Vertigo gets plenty of appreciation, but I can't argue with it.

92th - City Lights

My favorite Chaplin film, though I have watched only two (City Lights and Modern times). A very good comedy and very funny. One of the oldest films I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

91th - Throne of Blood

Kurosawa was among the greatest of the great directors, in terms of influence alone he is the greatest of all directors. Much of the language of modern cinema is derived from Kurosawa's films, Star Wars, for example, is derived from Kurosawa, as does Spaghetti Western films, and thus Tarantino's films, as does any modern film that has a story telling structure using flashbacks, like the one used in Rashomon in 1950.

Throne of blood is one of those excellent Kurosawa films, an adaptation of Macbeth set on feudal Japan. All around excellent film and a monumental piece of art.

90th - Tokyo Story

While generally regarded as Ozu's best film by critics I found it a very good film but not Ozu's best, in fact I rate my current Ozu favorite as several times better (in terms of emotional impact) and much higher in my top 100 list. A monumental work of art that uses Ozu's trademark camera at knee high position to devastating effect. This film appears boring from a superficial point of view but like many great films it takes time before one learns it and is able to fully appreciate it.

89th - Das Boot

A powerful German WW2 film detailing the lives of the crew of a submarine in the middle of the war. It is not among the most artistically sophisticated films but I appreciate it mostly for its realistic portrayal of war.

88th - The Killing

Stanley Kubrick makes his first of many appearances in the list. Here is one of his early films, one which I consider some of his weakest, but still a very good film, just not one of his top films.

Vertigo at 100th- you sure are starting out strong, but I'd rank it about 99 spots higher
So the favorite of user "HitchFan" is Vertigo. Pretty much consistent.

Love 12 Angry Men and The Elephant Man is very good too, though far from my favorite Lynch. Haven't seen the others.
The Elephant Man is also not my favorite Lynch. Haven't seem Rocky? Seriously?

I haven't seen City Lights yet, but since it's Chaplin I'm destined to love it

The Killings an intresting Kubrick film, but far from his best

I to haven't seen Rocky yet, boxing movies seem to always have a consistent rating for me though, and while it's not a bad one, I can't imagine Roky being awhole lot better

87th - In The Name of the Father

Just one sentence: I found it a very moving film.

86th - Dune

That's my second favorite Lynch film! Why? Because I think this is the worst movie ever made (worse than Plan 9, because this one cost 100 million dollars, converting for inflation). Making it one of the greatest films ever.

See this review: http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevisio...dune-1984.html

I like the list. Gorsch the Cellist is a sweet little film and it's nice to see it get some appreciation. Vertigo gets plenty of appreciation, but I can't argue with it.
What? You have watched Gauche the Cellist? OMG! I though, given the comments in this forum, I though that most people here never bothered watching it.

Also, one thing I don't like very much about comments relative to animation films the standard line "its a sweet little film". Why not "its a GREAT FILM" with capital G? Animation is a medium that suffers from severe prejudice. I will call There Will be Blood "a sweet little film" from now on.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Great list!
I'm glad you mentioned Yuri Norstein. Tale of Tales is an unforgettable experience. Hedgehog in the Fog almost made me cry, while Fox and the Hare made me weep like a little baby. Everyone ought to watch at least 3 films of this artist, if not all of them, which is highly recommended.