Prometheus

→ in
Tools    

Dunno if that's addressed to me or not; I assume not. If so, heck, I have way less bitterness towards the Hollywood machine than most people here.

But yeah, it goes even further than all that; huge-grossing films are one of the reasons home video has become the industry that it has. And home video is how a lot of these smaller or mid-range films are able to turn a profit, too. People want to carve up the system and leave out the parts they have no use for, but it's all pretty densely intertwined.

Not that I'd begrudge anyone for saying Transformers: Dark of the Moon is bad or anything, but a) you don't have to watch it, so it doesn't hurt you much and b) other people like it, and their like of other things is one of the reasons we have great access to the things we like. So rock on, Michael Bay.

It's a summation of the other things I said:

Hollywood's elaborate delivery mechanism may have some lame side effects, but it also spurs even indie films; a lot of them get funded because the people investing in them realize there's a chance they get picked up by Fox Searchlight and become the next Juno, or what have you.
and
...huge-grossing films are one of the reasons home video has become the industry that it has. And home video is how a lot of these smaller or mid-range films are able to turn a profit, too.
Mass-market films create economies of scale that make niche films more viable and easier to gain access to over time.

I absolutely loved Prometheus, though I know I'm definitely in the minority there.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
One of the problems I have with the film is that Scott leads you to believe, in so many ways, that he will make the connections to the original Alien. Yet he never does. This is the reason I really hate the last scene. It felt like his hands were tied and he "had" to include it for the fans of the original.

I knew going in that it was a separate story and not an "Alien" film, but he makes way too many leads to the original alien and to not make those connections and to wait for a sequel to do so really frustrates me.

They could have simply set it on the same planet/moon and it would have satisfied a lot of people. Why they chose not to, I don't get.

Suspect's Reviews

I loved Prometheus. Even if it turns out not to make too many more connections to the Alien films (if further Prometheus installments come), I still like it and enjoy it for what it is.

Movie Forums Extra
I loved the movie. A lot.

I cant get why some people say its not an Alien prequel. For me it was a straight prequel!

Am looking forward to the sequel- fo shizzle! x

Saw this a second time a couple weeks ago (missed father's day and wanted to do something with my old man). Knowing what was going to happen kind of ruined the suspense, which was a big bonus on the first viewing, but on the other hand I was more attentive to things that were impressive but didn't quite register the first time. Those holographic scenes were brilliant and I imagine would have made it worth seeing this in 3-D. dumb story/plot stuff was still there, but all-in-all it was the most exhilarating cinema I've seen this year (new or old).

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The holographic stuff with the world was neat and would be in 3-D. The holographic images of the Engineers running for their lives is poor screenwriting.

Hello all,
If you were waiting something in line with the Aliens movies I guess you were disappointed. The tension was not as good and the aliens were not as bad.

I went into Prometheus without knowing it was part of the Alien series. Actually, some one said "it's an Alien movie," before I went in, but I didn't make the connection. "Duh, it's an alien movie."

Going in with no expectations. I was really surprised and excited by the new approach to the Alien world. I liked it.

"Do you know what 'Nemesis' means?"
Saw it last night on BR at home - have to say I was highly impressed; great effects good story, a worthy prequel to Alien & a return to form for Ridley Scott

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
Love the movie. Love the cast. Ignore the haters.

Prometheus is a good movie.

I think it's worth watching. Average film though in my opinion

anyone care to explain the opening sequence to me please? what was the stuff the Alien was suppose to be drinking before he fell apart and into the waterfall? i presume thats where they are telling us or dna came from?

THought the film was watchable, no real surprises, dont really know why scott bothered making it, either do a prequel or dont. No real tension, good acting, Fassbender is always good. didnt have the fright of Alien but was better than Aliens,A3 and A4 in my humble opinion