Enter the Dragon Movie Review

→ in
Tools    

This movie is one of my all time favourites, so thought it was improtant that I gave it a review. I have loved this film for years and it introduced me to Bruce Lee and the whole martial arts genre.

Bruce Lee was taken in his prime, and this was the last film he completed, who knows what he could have gone on to achieve. In my opinion this is his greatest film, although different versions have appeared, many cut and edited pretty badly. Now, with the introduction of DVD, the original version that Lee intended is available.

THis version is by far the best and helps you to understand some of what goes on in the fill. I will be honest, you don't watch this movie for the plot, it is all about the amazing fight sequences choreagraphed by Lee himself.

The plot is some sort of Espianage plot, no doubt because of the popularity of spy movies due to the Bond series, and tv shows such as the Man From U.N.C.L.E. Lee is undercover at a martial arts tournament, trying to investigate and expose a drugs ring masterminded by Han, ex-shaolin monk, and now drug lord on his own island that he managed to buy.

It also stars John Saxon and Jim Kelly, but to be fair it is all about Lee. the nunchuck scene is awesome, and the giant free for all fight at the end is a great watch.

I can watch this movie anytime, an I would recommend anyone who likes action movies or martial arts movies to watch this if you haven't already seen it, and if you have, watch it again!

I adore this film, as you can see from my favourite movies list. Saxon became a firm favourite after seeing this and, a little later, A Nightmare On Elm Street, as a kid and I saw a few Kelly films, too, as I watched as much Blaxploitation as I could. Nothing really changes, does it? It may also have been one of the first films I quoted regularly.

Like you, I can watch this at anytime and it doesn't matter whether I watched it the day before or not for a year or more. A truly great film.

I used to think this movie sucked. Maybe I was trying to rebel against my Bruce Lee-obsessed father or maybe Sammo Hung's joy in Enter the Fat Dragon is catching. Whatever, I'll eat crow. Enter the Dragon rocks.

I've always wondered, was Jim Kelly's role in this film the start of the whole streetwise kung fu-obsessed brother character (as seen in countless blacksploitation movies and Wu Tang Clan lyrics) or does it go back further?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It may well have been the first. Hell Up in Harlem came out a few months later. I admit than when I first saw this at the theatre at the time of its release, I mostly concentrated on the hokeyness and weak cinematic craftsmanship, but I've seen it several times since, and it's a lot of fun and just gets better and better. Some films totally deserve iconic cult status.